WS1040: clueless

attractivetattoo

Premium Subscriber
I purchased a ws 1040 i am subscribed to radio reference, connected scanner to computer. do i need to buy software and how do i install it and what would i be buying.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Yes, you need software to do the downloads. You can use either ARC500 or PSREdit500. Both have a free trial period to decide which one you like better. I use Butel ARC500 Basic for my Radio Shack PRO-106, the older brother of your WS1040. Both use the same software. What is your city, county, and state so I can take a look at the database to determine what you are able to scan with the WS1040.

attractivetattoo

Premium Subscriber
Yes, you need software to do the downloads. You can use either ARC500 or PSREdit500. Both have a free trial period to decide which one you like better. I use Butel ARC500 Basic for my Radio Shack PRO-106, the older brother of your WS1040. Both use the same software. What is your city, county, and state so I can take a look at the database to determine what you are able to scan with the WS1040.
Thank you. Hazlet New Jersey, United States. I ordered the butel software like you. Thank you so much for the help!

tvengr

Well Known Member

tvengr

Well Known Member
The trunked systems use simulcast sites. The only scanners specifically designed to receive simulcast sites are the Uniden SDS100 handheld and SDS200 base/mobile. Any other P25 Phase 2 scanner may or may not work depending upon your location. Simulcast distortion is one of the most discussed topics. It results in missed transmissions and garbled audio. There have been many reports that the SDS scanners are the only ones that will work in New Jersey. Much of the law enforcement is encrypted and cannot be received by any scanner. Any talkgroup with a Mode of DE or TE is fully encrypted. De and Te talkgroups are encrypted part of the time. Here is the link to the Monmouth County trunked system: Monmouth County Public Safety Trunking System, Monmouth County, New Jersey Here is the link to the NJICS statewide trunked system: New Jersey Interoperability Communications System (NJICS) Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State

Last edited: