• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CM 300 Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

FFEMT1A

So I got my cable issues resolved... now I too am having the "Region not supported" error message. Anyone have any ideas?? or do I need to update to the newest version of the program?

PatrickLeo11

Ive got a CM300, i would like to add a few more channels to it do i need to buy the whole software kit or can i just buy a cable and add them that way

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Ive got a CM300, i would like to add a few more channels to it do i need to buy the whole software kit or can i just buy a cable and add them that way
You need the software.

danielhp89

I am trying to narrowband some CM300's and I have bought the software V5.13 and I have the ribless cable from motorola and I am sure I am on the right com port however I can not get the radios top read, any ideas?
This cable worked on some CDM 1550's and a 1225 repeater.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Scroll back to post #12 and re-read. The CM pinout for the RJ-45 plug is different than what is used for the CDM or 1225. You'll have to change things or make an adaptor.

SCPD

QRT
Programming a CM300

I've been programming my own radios for many years now. I do mostly all Motorola stuff with alittle playing with GE Ericsson but I just got a new CM 300 and I can not program it. I have another CM 300 beside it on the bench and I can program it no problem. I get error # 2437 Code plug version not supported.
I am using the commercial series customer programming software V-R02.04

First off, I quickly scrolled thru the rest of this thread. If the following was mentioned and I missed it, I'm sorry:

1. Did you try programming the new radio with a codeplug from the old radio?
Yes, you can't read the new radio because you don't have the latest software. But when I get a HT750 or CDM1250 from my vendor that I can't read because the software is newer than I have, I am able to put an older .cpg into the radio no problem, and then program the radio to my hearts content.

2. The CM300 software, even the latest and greatest, will not work with Windows 7.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
The current version of the Commercial Series CPS is R5.16 and it runs just fine on Win 7 64 bit. (If you saw a note in this thread that 5.13 was the latest, that post is a year old.)

The cable for the CM200/300 radios is different from the one for the CDM's or the 1225's or the Radius/Maxtrac's. Pin's 1 & 3 have to be jumpered together. 1 is +9.3 volts at the mic connector and 3 is hook. When the +9.3 is applied to hook, pins 2 and 7 are configured to Boot and SCI. These two pins are not active in the CDM cable.

I made myself an adapter with an RJ45 female and one end of a CAT 5 cable. It's through and through except that 1 and 3 are isolated in the adapter and tied together. I plug my regular CDM cable into the adapter and then plug the adapter into the radio.

SCPD

QRT
CM300 programming

The current version of the Commercial Series CPS is R5.16 and it runs just fine on Win 7 64 bit. (If you saw a note in this thread that 5.13 was the latest, that post is a year old.)

Hmmm.

I have version R05.16.

I have not one, but two RKN4081C programming cables for the CM200 and 300 radio, the right cable bought from Motorola.

I have tried to program a CM300 on both a Windows 7 32 bit, and a Windows 2000 machine.
The software installed just fine on both machines. I can open up, change and save the sample codeplugs on both machines. The Windows 7 machine has one comm port and the software shows one comm port. The Windows 2000 machine has two comm ports and the software shows both comm ports.

When I try to read or write the radio, both machines give me the same error message "Check the cable, check for power, etc." Everything is powered up of course, the radio is lit up and displaying "PERS 1".
I've tried both the cables I got on both machines. I've looked at all the cable ends, made sure no pins are bent, folded, mis-aligned, etc.

Any ideas? If 2000 is too old, that's not a big deal.
But if this works on Windows 7 64 bit, should it also run on 32 bit?

Last edited:

SteveC0625

Any ideas? If 2000 is too old, that's not a big deal.
But if this works on Windows 7 64 bit, should it also run on 32 bit?

I went through the same gyrations that you are in the middle of. It is not your computer, it is the cables.

The RKN4081C is the right cable for the CDM Professional Series Radios. but it needs an adapter to program the CM200/300 Commercial Series mobiles. Somehow, Motorola hasn't got the right cable or adapter listed for the CM's over in MOL.

As I described in my previous post of 3/6/12, you need to jumper pins 1 and 3 so that +9.3 volts is applied to Hook which the radio then changes 2 & 7 to Boot & SCI so that you can program. When you are finished and unplug, 2 & 7 revert to their normal functions of DTMF Keypad Column and Row.

As I said before, I made up an adapter which is basically an RJ45 surface mount wall jack and half of a Cat5 cable with an RJ45 male on the end. I tied 1 & 3 together inside the jack and ran the other needed lines straight through to the male end of the adapter. All I have to do when I want to program a CM is plug the RKN4081 into my little adapter and the adapter into the mic port of the radio.

Others have rigged a switch right into the wiring of the RJ50 on the end of the RKN4081. I now have a stock of RJ50's and the right crimping tool so I may do that to make things even simpler.

I spent hours researching this problem and found the solution over on the batboard from a post back in 2004. Jumper 1 and 3 together.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
The RKN4081C is the right cable for the CDM Professional Series Radios. but it needs an adapter to program the CM200/300 Commercial Series mobiles. Somehow, Motorola hasn't got the right cable or adapter listed for the CM's over in MOL.

My CM adapter says FKN8096A on it...

SteveC0625

My CM adapter says FKN8096A on it...

Thank you!

I finally found it listed in the basic service manual. The FKN8096 is required with both the RIB and RIBless programming cables per the manual and even shows schematics. It is vaguely called Flash/Data Adapter (for use with AARKN4081 or 3080070N01) in the MOL listing. The manual also has 10 pin telco and 8 pin telco labels on it so it is clearly an adapter.

There is also a RIB to mic connector cable For the CM's with a part number of GTF374 which does not need the 3080070N01 CDM cable.

Here's a schematic I found on the batboard:

FKN 8096A Flash Adapter:

(10-pin female RJ) --- (8-pin male RJ to radio)

1____________________1 (+9.3v)
|_________________ 3 (Hook)

7 _____________________ 7 (SCI)
4 _____________________ 4 (Gnd)

As I said previously, 1 and 3 have to be jumpered together to program the CM's.

(My apologies to MOL. They usually note if a part is required in the catalog listing.)

Last edited:

SteveC0625

There is also a switch on the FKN8096 that applies +5 to pin 3 which then puts the radio in bootstrap mode. Forgot to mention that. The schematic on the batboard isn't clear on how that works.

SCPD

QRT
Thank you

Thanks for the help Steve.

I read your postings about needing to adapt the cable, I knew you were talking about making an adapter so cables used to program GM300's/CDM's etc would work. But I thought I had bought cables made specifically for the CM radios, and was kinda glossing over your postings about adapting. I apologize about that.

I'll knock up one of those adapters when I go to work Monday. I got everything I need there.
I'm a tiny bit miffed that my Moto vendor knew what I was buying the cable for, and failed to mention the additional adapter. He programs them for us, so it's not like he was unaware. But he's a good guy, I'll be over it before I see him again.

The cool thing is I can use these cables on CDM1250's. Right now I'm using a cable with a metal box inline and a rib box and all that right now. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

SteveC0625

Thanks for the help Steve.

De nada. I spent a very panic-stricken night reading over years of posts on the batboard researching this because I had 11 CM300's on my bench to be programmed to go into our Town and Village's trucks and was getting the same error using my supposedly proper RKN4081 cable.

I am glad you've got your answer and good luck with it.

MFDLADDER4

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I have the CPS 05.16, CDM Cable, M1225 Cable, RIB Box, and the FKN8096B CPS/FLASH adapter.....

I am still getting error codes on my computer....

I am very frustrated and also had trouble reading the other posts please help.

Thanks

alphagamma

Premium Subscriber
Hi Everyone,

Looking to purchase programming equipment for the cm300s, i've noticed our latest shipment has accessory connectors on the back, and saw that there is a programming cable from MOL that uses that adapter. Has anyone had any experience using this method, are there any weird things with that method?

Thanks

SteveC0625

Hi Everyone,

Looking to purchase programming equipment for the cm300s, i've noticed our latest shipment has accessory connectors on the back, and saw that there is a programming cable from MOL that uses that adapter. Has anyone had any experience using this method, are there any weird things with that method?

Thanks

I can't speak for anyone else, but my reaction to your question is: "Why bother?

Most of the radios that I program are already installed in a vehicle. Getting at the accessory connector without removing the radio from the mount is next to impossible most of the time. Even the base station ones already have a bunch of other stuff plugged into the accessory connector making it a pain to remove.

Much faster, easier, and a lot safer to just unplug the mic, plug in the cable and have at it..

Status
Not open for further replies.