Coast guard stoped tracking channel 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

spencerwww

Hello i heard the USA cost guard isn't vhf isn't listen to channel 16 because wasn't used so in 2021 they are stopping . Can any body confirm this. Ate they using digital radios now are relying on u to push button I figure digital radios wouldm be better because u can talk but I was seeing could any body confirm this and how's does it work if don't give lot details

dispatchgeek

Control channel goes "brrrrr"
Between the cornfields and the pastures, Michigan.
Hello i heard the USA cost guard isn't vhf isn't listen to channel 16 because wasn't used so in 2021 they are stopping . Can any body confirm this. Ate they using digital radios now are relying on u to push button I figure digital radios wouldm be better because u can talk but I was seeing could any body confirm this and how's does it work if don't give lot details
The USCG actually made huge upgrades to their Marine radio network in the 2010s. It is still very much in use. Rescue 21 - Wikipedia

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
News to me, 156.8 remains the National distress frequency. I listen to it from Sector Delaware Bay everyday.

ecps92

You have a Mix of information

No - VHF 16 is still the Emergency Channel and the USCG Watch Centers do monitor

Yes - the USCG has both VHF and UHF digital nets for their own use, which is not the same as the VHF Marine

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hello i heard the USA cost guard isn't vhf isn't listen to channel 16 because wasn't used so in 2021 they are stopping . Can any body confirm this.

No, no one can 'confirm this', because it's not true. Not sure where you heard this, but it's not an accurate source and you need to avoid whoever is telling you this.

Ate they using digital radios now are relying on u to push button I figure digital radios wouldm be better because u can talk but I was seeing could any body confirm this and how's does it work if don't give lot details

DSC, Digital Selective Calling, is something that is supported. It's NOT a replacement for VHF channel 16. It's an enhancement. It essentially permits pushing a button on a DSC equipped radio and it will send the latitude/longitude of the vessel to other radios.

16b

Premium Subscriber
It seems we have well established the falsehood of what OP "heard" as well as the fact that this thread could have been prevented with even just a few minutes of "research" (i.e., typing something into the google machine).

However, I find it amusing to additionally point out that OP claims a cutoff year of 2021 (three years ago at the time of post). If this were indeed the case, it seems nobody bothered to tell USCG Sector Detroit before they DF'd a guy in Michigan for making false distress calls on channel 16 in--wait for it--2023!

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber

Since we haven't heard from you since your OP I hope the above responses have reassured you Ch 16 is still monitored and your best option if on the water.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Meanwhile the rumor is that due to FCC mandate all aircraft radios must switch to 800 MHz P25 Phase 3 with AES Darkstar 512 encryption next year 4/1/2025

The only scanner that will decode this mode right now is the Whistler TRX-500, I got my beta version last week and it works good decoding encryption ;)

But I expect mods won't like me saying these outrageous things.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Meanwhile the rumor is that due to FCC mandate all aircraft radios must switch to 800 MHz P25 Phase 3 with AES Darkstar 512 encryption next year 4/1/2025

Patiently waiting for the question we all know is coming:

"Will my Baofeng talk with that? Some guy on the internet said there was a secret button sequence that would allow me to hear all encryption and talk to the fire/PD when 911 goes down."​

nwradio

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps your source was confused by this USCG Marine Safety Information Bulletin #10-21 dated 07 Dec 2021 stating that the USCG will no longer monitor High Frequency (SSB) voice distress channels EXCEPT for Alaska and Guam. I will trey to attach the file.

Near the bottom of the page it states:

"Rescue 21 VHF distress watchkeeping on channel 16 and DSC is not affected by this announcement."

Attachments

• HF_Voice_Distress_Watchkeeping_ceases_7_February_2022_MSIB_10_21_HF_Voice.pdf
    137.8 KB · Views: 8

RFI-EMI-GUY

Perhaps your source was confused by this USCG Marine Safety Information Bulletin #10-21 dated 07 Dec 2021 stating that the USCG will no longer monitor High Frequency (SSB) voice distress channels EXCEPT for Alaska and Guam. I will trey to attach the file.

"Rescue 21 VHF distress watchkeeping on channel 16 and DSC is not affected by this announcement."
That is actually kind of a big deal.

spencerwww

Yes that's it are they the ones who report stuff to the cost guard during distress I heard they were doing vhf i was wondering would that be digital there covering. But so I guess there still doing it it guess I read it wrong or wondering how there going do so so that's why I ask but thanks for reposting back

spencerwww

And it was question people who thumbs down alt to see that's what this forum for. I wasn't how they going do it or what they would switch. To in know cost guard has digital radios for own use but I was wondering about channel.16 I was seeing was it false report or report not all information was in it

hill

Premium Subscriber
USCG still very much has a 24/7 listen watch on channek 16 from all Sectors. The updated thelir legacy radio system to Rescue 21 to add features that were not available in the old system in 1970s.

I think you are a little confused with USCG discontinued the watch on MF of 2182 kHz. Don't recall the exact date, but this was done sometime around your timeline of 2021.

People really need to pay attention to posts on the internet, since a lot of false information with many believe anything read on the internet nust be true.

spencerwww

Yea we got digital radios for dad boat just case of energecy I love listen to it while fish we fish. Near the sounds and glade we had. Because boat ended up sinking and we called for help because out there is like bayu of losiusina al.trees all way end.land. And. Sometimes cell phones go out for that purpose. We use our phones to call people but coast guard was quick to answer

Status
Not open for further replies.