Fun with DMR: programming a single channel DMR system

gariac

I've tried to program my town's school department DMR channel as a single channel trunk. I have it programmed as a conventional DMR frequency and get Color Code information, as well as audio. When I program it as a trunk system, I get nothing.

I have ID search set to on since I don't know any of the TGID. I think that is where the problem might lie. I've not been able to great any channels since I don't have the information. When I look in Sentinel, there are no channels, even though ARC536 shows a lot of blank lines. When I look on the scanner itself, there are also no channels.

Do I need to have some data in the Channel section for this to work?

Also, do I have a Service Type active in the Department section for this to work?

Thanks.

I have similar problems. My question is what exactly does the ID Search feature do? Do you have to enter the IDs of the radios you want to monitor? If so, that is probably not a feature you want to use in general,

I can't even get the radio to monitor a simple ham DMR, which is my upcoming post. But I suggest trying to monitor something as simple as possible first.

Incidentally, if you bandscan or just program a conventional frequency, the radio switches to DMR on the fly. The disadvantage is you hear every talk group. Also it seems to have a bug in that if recording, it logs the TG at the start of the recording, but if the carrier doesn't drop, it records the next user as that same talk group.

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
Gariac, it's possible you may not have enabled the Favorites List.

I also set the time slot and color code parameters to 'any' until I have confirmed them. I only use TGID's, and set ID search ON. The more you specify, the more you restrict your reception. If you have one parameter wrong, you won't hear it.

Unit ID's are optional; they are for your convenience to show in the display, and won't change anything.

I also make sure the Dept/Site Quick Keys are all set to ON (right-click on the screen). Otherwise, if you add anything manually, it may not work.

Good luck!

gariac

I have this DMR list as the only enabled list. I get the "nothing to scan" message.

I could make the radio search for more things like color code, but this is a system that is documented. I need to reprogram my MD380 to completely match the new documentation, but groups like 5150 worked. So I do believe the set up is correct.

I still don't know exactly what "ID SCAN" does.

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
ID search/scan refers to Talk Group ID's (TGID's), not radio ID's.

SCAN will only receive TGID's you have programmed. If you have not programmed any, it will not receive any. This may be the reason for your 'nothing to scan' error message.

SEARCH will receive any TGID's you have programmed (with the programmed screen display), plus any you have NOT programmed, and display only the TGID number, no alpha tag.

Bpat461

Talkgroup activity timers on amateur DMR repeaters

Hello all,

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum for this but please let me know. I recently performed the 436 DMR upgrade. I would like to monitor some talk groups on the local DMR amateur repeater, however I'm experiencing some issues with some of them.

The talk groups I'm referring to have activity timers on them. In order for my scanner to pick them up I must use the PTT button of my DMR radio to activate the talk group for a 15 minute period which then allows the scanner to pick up the traffic. After the 15 minutes are up it stops receiving all traffic. This is true on many of the amateur radio talk groups

Is there an alternate way to program these talkgroups so I don't have to "activate" the group in order to listen to it or am I SOL?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce N1CSP

troymail

Silent Key
Hello all,

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum for this but please let me know. I recently performed the 436 DMR upgrade. I would like to monitor some talk groups on the local DMR amateur repeater, however I'm experiencing some issues with some of them.

The talk groups I'm referring to have activity timers on them. In order for my scanner to pick them up I must use the PTT button of my DMR radio to activate the talk group for a 15 minute period which then allows the scanner to pick up the traffic. After the 15 minutes are up it stops receiving all traffic. This is true on many of the amateur radio talk groups

Is there an alternate way to program these talkgroups so I don't have to "activate" the group in order to listen to it or am I SOL?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce N1CSP

I wouldn't think so -- even with your radio that transmits you need to PTT/activate if you want to hear anything.

FWIW - many multi-site public safety systems (and even some "patches") work in a similar fashion with the difference being they only have to switch to the talkgroup (don't have to transmit).

While there may be other reasons, the primary purpose it works this way (as far as I know) is that there is no need to utilize a repeater and/or bandwidth if no one is there to listen.....

Last edited:

Bpat461

Thanks troy mail. I understand the concept I just wish there was someway around it so you could hear all of the talk groups whenever they're busy. I guess I'll just set up the "always on" talk groups for now. That should be enough.

Thanks again,

Bruce N1CSP

gary123

I think what he wants to do is create a scan list of the TGs active on the repeater.
this can be done by adding in the TG in the department section of the one freq DMR system. If he wants to discover new TGs then use the analize feature and the new TG will be displayed as they are active.

pastormg2

I just updated my BCD325P2 this morning for DMR.
I have about 5 to 6 DMR repeaters that I would like to monitor.
I tried to add a system for DMR using the keypad. And that may be a big mistake.
I entered in a system name and then made it single frequency.
After that I have no idea what to do.
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Mark Griffin, KB3Z

k8ble

HAM, ATV'ER, MOTOROLER XTS 2500 Q52.Q53. Q811,H02
Premium Subscriber
Dmr one freq info

like to say thanks you all for the hard work it takes to get things going. i have been into scanning for many years. i have 796, prd 800, 996xt aor 3000a and bcd 536hp. i'm getting older and becoming short of memory
and all i want is to get my 536 setup for both dmr and business dmr mototrbo. we own a towing business and all i want to do get them both in my scanner. i'm already working on bagmouse's great info. if anyone figures out how to add a business from RF i'd like to know if possible. i ve tried it and did a lot of trying to figure out was wrong.

thanks all in advance
and 73's n0mnb

k8ble

HAM, ATV'ER, MOTOROLER XTS 2500 Q52.Q53. Q811,H02
Premium Subscriber
Dmr quit running

hello has anyone experienced their dmr up grade just quit working. everything else works p25 and so on. i've re-written them and still sit there scanning without logging or audio.

thank for any input
73's

k4do

Not sure if this is the right place but I question the software used to program DMR. I have a BCD325p2 and DMR may or may not work. I've been using Freescan and have heard it is not good with DMR. I am trying XT Pro. Haven't been very successful but it seems a little better than Freescan. If you are successful receiving DMR on your Uniden, what software are you using?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Freescan does not support DMR. Use either ProScan or Sentinel, depending on your scanner model.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this is the right place but I question the software used to program DMR. I have a BCD325p2 and DMR may or may not work. I've been using Freescan and have heard it is not good with DMR. I am trying XT Pro. Haven't been very successful but it seems a little better than Freescan. If you are successful receiving DMR on your Uniden, what software are you using?
For the BCD325P2, you'd need to use either ProScan, or ARC-XT for DMR programming. While FreeSCAN will program most system types, it was not updated to support DMR. So, you can't use FreeSCAN to program a DMR system, and if 'reading' the scanner into the software, DMR systems come across as a jumbled, unusable, mess. I prefer ProScan. Besides the 325P2, it also supports a large number of other Uniden scanners. Logging, recording, and virtual control are also included. For ARC-XT, the basic version only covers programming. To get logging and recording, you'd need to buy the Pro version, which ends up being about $20 more than ProScan.

Both programs have a thirty day trial period, and both include free updates if you purchase the software.

k4do

Much thanks to the two post. Proscan seems to be the ticket for DMR. Thanks

radicalbill

When receiving the DMR single trunk / simplex, I get this:

ID:2 alternates with UID: i20 on the same line
159.1050 DMR

It does not show the CC or the TS

How do I send a message to the UPMAN to ask if they can add this to the next firmware update ?

Also, a setting in the menu to turn the backlight on all the time would be really helpful.

I would like to see that added to the next firmware update.

Still can't figure out why custom search is not getting the DMR

I changed the tone search to CC/NAC and it did work for about 5 minutes, then stopped receiving

It still receives on the one trunk site I programmed, but the search is the only way to get it to show the CC it is using.

Any help is appreciated, and if you know how to contact the UPMAN, please message me with his contact info.

Thanks

Bill

jeffhochberg

Premium Subscriber
Did you bother with defining the timeslots? Or just leave everything set to Color Code Search and let the scanner determine the timeslot?

jeffhochberg

Premium Subscriber
I also get "Nothing to Scan". Is that because of the Service Types I have selected? What should the Service Type be set to for DMR talkgroups such as these?