SDS100/SDS200: Cold Solder Joint

Status
Not open for further replies.

djeplett

It will be interesting to see if you ever see any late model SDS100s with the problem. Can you inspect the J401 when you do a GPS install? Maybe if you get a late model that needs a GPS install you could determine if Uniden has tried to fix the issue.

Is that a pic of mine? I saw you got it yesterday.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It will be interesting to see if you ever see any late model SDS100s with the problem. Can you inspect the J401 when you do a GPS install? Maybe if you get a late model that needs a GPS install you could determine if Uniden has tried to fix the issue.

Is that a pic of mine? I saw you got it yesterday.
No, another customer's. Serial in the 2018 200 range. I'm checking every unit I open now for the issue.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Having studied the issue further, I've figured out some additional details.

First and foremost, the problem isn't actually a "cold" solder joint.The issue is that when the connector was originally soldered to the board, the 40 contact pins weren't touching the board, they were suspended slightly above the board . . .
******************************************************************************************************************************

Thanks for the new information, Jon.

Your discovery is very reassuring. I found myself cutting 'way back on the length of time I had my SDS100 running and avoiding hot rooms and automobile interiors in hopes of keeping my newly repaired solder joints intact. Here's hoping that the Uniden repair people correctly fixed my J401 problem, and I don't experience a recurrence. If it dies again, I'm shipping it to you for repairs!

In the meantime, please keep us posted regarding the $64,000 question about whether or not that issue was addressed in newer production versions of the SDS100.

Glad you're around, Jon! Thanks.

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

Ubbe

Nice find on this microscope, price is good also. wold save a lot of eye strain and find things you might miss even with a magnifying glass.
I ordered that microscope but my sample wasn't that good. When dialing in the focus it moves the picture sideways, so when zooming in from a distance the center moves out of the frame. It is as if the arm that holds the lens are not holding it exactly veticalt but also when only turning the focus dial back and forth it moves from the center and sometimes it gets stuck and then suddenly snaps and jumps too far out of focus. I would say it is what could be expected from a $50 dollar device but are a great help anyhow as you do not need to use any type of magnifying glasses in front of your eyes.

/Ubbe

merlin

If you are like me, getting by with no service manual makes life that much harder. Lie they are unobtanium, but Uniden will capitalize on cases where warranty is expired or voided, not to mention the time thing.
I am well seasoned working on this hardware, just that the micro SMT and such pushes my limits.
I did fix a dead BCT15X, that was a problem with the DC-DC converter I bypassed and replaced. Listening to it while typing this.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
As I work different scanners, I'm going to start posting videos of test highlights by serial number on YouTube.

Z88000320
This unit had been partially repaired by Uniden, and failed again. A couple of the Uniden repairs had relapsed.

Z88008882
This one is much better than the one in the previous clip, but still has a few problematic joints.

spywiz

Premium Subscriber
Well, the cold solder joint grimlin has struck me. This is the second sds100 that I have had this month. Everything with this one has worked fine until I turned it on this morning. No warning. Just this. Uniden is kinda starting to piss me off!! I have the DMR and NXDN upgrades on this one. How is that gonna work?

spywiz

Premium Subscriber
Ha!! I just tried to call Uniden Customer Service. A recording answered and said "we are currently closed for training to better serve our customers". I hope they are having a basic solder and rework class!!

mrkelso

Just in case, I purchased a new accessorie for the SDS100.

View attachment 89068
Thanks for the tip about this machine.

spywiz

Premium Subscriber
@jonwienke what is the cost and turnaround time for this fix. I don't think I want to take my chances with Uniden. I live in eastern NC.

Status
Not open for further replies.