• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

COM Port Issues With Kenwood KPG-111DN Software

JimOnFire

Premium Subscriber
The ambulance company I work for is having me attempt to reprogram out Kenwood NX700 radios in a couple of our ambulances. The vender we use for radios sent me the KPG-111DN software along with the KPG-46X programming cable. I have the selector switch set to USB. I bring up the program and connect to the radio and the immediate screen that pops up is a Windows screen that reads "USB Device not recognized - The last USB device you connected to the computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it.". I the go into the program anyway to attempt to read the deck and get an error that reads "The COM port cannot be opened". I then attempted to go to the setup menu, select COM Ports, and the menu with 20 labelled COM ports comes up. But are all greyed out and I'm unable to select anything. I contacted the vendor we work with for a solution, but they haven't been able to give me one. I run off of a Dell Latitude 3301 Laptop with Windows 11 Pro as my operation system. I'm looking for anyone out there that may be having the same issue. And possibly a solution to get me computer to communicate with our NX700 radios.

Thank, Jim

Vern

Premium Subscriber
I believe that you need a 46 cable, not 46X. The X cables are used on the NX-3000 & 5000 series for a higher throughput and won't work on the older generation rigs.

JimOnFire

Premium Subscriber
I tried to set it to the UART setting and get the same error where the COM Port cannot be opened. All of the COM Port options under the setting menu are also still greyed out.

I will reach out to my vender and see if they can procure a 46 cable without the X and give that a try as well.

Thank you!!

Vern

Premium Subscriber
I tried to set it to the UART setting and get the same error where the COM Port cannot be opened. All of the COM Port options under the setting menu are also still greyed out.

I will reach out to my vender and see if they can procure a 46 cable without the X and give that a try as well.

Thank you!!
www.BlueMax49ers.com has the KPG-46 cables that have FTDI chips in the USB plug. They have always worked the easiest for me in a Windows environment, especially with Win-11.

AYoung2600

Thank you!!
The KPG-46X works fine in UART mode. Sounds like a driver issue to me.

Radio_Doctor

The ambulance company I work for is having me attempt to reprogram out Kenwood NX700 radios in a couple of our ambulances. The vender we use for radios sent me the KPG-111DN software along with the KPG-46X programming cable. I have the selector switch set to USB. I bring up the program and connect to the radio and the immediate screen that pops up is a Windows screen that reads "USB Device not recognized - The last USB device you connected to the computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it.". I the go into the program anyway to attempt to read the deck and get an error that reads "The COM port cannot be opened". I then attempted to go to the setup menu, select COM Ports, and the menu with 20 labelled COM ports comes up. But are all greyed out and I'm unable to select anything. I contacted the vendor we work with for a solution, but they haven't been able to give me one. I run off of a Dell Latitude 3301 Laptop with Windows 11 Pro as my operation system. I'm looking for anyone out there that may be having the same issue. And possibly a solution to get me computer to communicate with our NX700 radios.

Thank, Jim
Did you ever get your cable to work? The log-46x. Does and will work with windows 10 and 11 with the proper drivers. I am using driver version 10.1.10.103. Without any issues

wd8chl

You'll have to select it-close the serial port selection window, flip the switch to UART, then open the window again. Sometimes I even have to unplug the cable, restart the software, and plug it back in again.
But in general, it's not unusual to have to select the port again after you've rebooted/started up the PC.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I only use USB mode on my current generation radios but all I deal with these days are Viking radios. If I am dealing with older TK series or the NX series radios, I always use a true serial cable. Why? Never have had an issue with a driver using serial on any vendor's radio.