Comical EAM on 4724

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc2klc

That is strange indeed. This is (or was, last time I logged it 20 years ago) a legitimate Air Force HFGCS frequency (I heard Offut Base in Nebraska use it). I avidly listen to pirate broadcasts, and never logged one particularly close to this frequency (closest was Mystery Radio 21 on 4875).

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
That is strange indeed. This is (or was, last time I logged it 20 years ago) a legitimate Air Force HFGCS frequency (I heard Offut Base in Nebraska use it). I avidly listen to pirate broadcasts, and never logged one particularly close to this frequency (closest was Mystery Radio 21 on 4875).
This OP was giving EAMs several times in the next few hours the same way; between his tx, other op's gave EAMs more professionally; so I think they were all official but it was strange indeed.

spacellamaman

hmmmmm hypoxia is known to induce interesting behavior well prior to O2 levels becoming critical.

maybe someone forgot to roll their window all the way up before they got up to cruise altitude.

i was going to suggest something else but i see this was from april 23rd.

had this been April 20th, would have lead to different conclusions as to defining high in the sky.

Token

A few times I've heard some pretty colorful EAMs performed by someone behind the mic who obviously felt what they were doing was kind of a joke.
I monitor 4724 several times a day here.

I have also heard them done pretty "interestingly" in the past. And some operators seem to have a "sound" that is comical, or sarcastic, or annoyed, etc, even when they are being serious.

And there there is this one:

Speaking of the HF-GCS in general, I will be throwing a video up on my YouTube channel, probably this weekend (assuming I get around to it) about the last Skyking transmission.

T!

Token

heyyyyy.....does this have anything to do with one with this kinda disconcerting tone/whine going on in the background? from a week or so ago? caught one via my VOX recorder and it was certainly different.

When you say "one", do you mean a Skyking? To the best of my knowledge there have been no Skykings this month, or this year for that matter. The last Skyking I know of was in late 2019.

There have been EAMs and similar traffic, but no Skykings (that I am aware of).

The HF-GCS network has had audio cross talk in the background off an on for many years. Just every once in a while it shows up. One of the common ones is to hear STANAG 4481 FSK, or its more recent replacement, in the background. This can sound like a tone or a whine depending on things like your filter settings and any autonotch you have working. Or if there is only one leg of the FSK present it will be a steady tone. Could this be what you heard?

An audio recording of the signal would help greatly.

T!

spacellamaman

yeah my bad, i tend to group things together that really ought not be.

i have a bc345 or 365 uhhh, well analog 500ch base station with a VOX recorder hooked to it. 364.2 is plugged in on it and occasionally ill get something from that, which is what i presume it was, the location of the scanner being such that the signal has to be close or very strong.

it was a standard EAM(type) message, but the dudes call-out speed was a bit faster than normal, i inferred his tone more serious, and a constant tone played through out the whole time at a volume loud enough, that any louder would have interferred hearing the guys voice. i wasnt sure if it was a deliberate warning tone, like the "this-is-unencrypted-*beep* " you hear on SINGCARS radios operating in the clear, or if the tone was some equipment issue.

sorry for the imprecision.

Status
Not open for further replies.