Coming soon, Broadcastify.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chronic

$2.50 a month

This keeps being tossed around , if you are too cheap topay $2.50 a month then go away.
$2.50 a month
But it is not $2.50 a month
it is $30.00 a year.
if you want to keep thumping the $2.50 a month then give us the option for a monthly subscription for $2.50
Otherwise call it like it really is $30.00 a year .

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
I posted earlier a suggestion about a tiered level for feed providers for a RR subscription. Another suggestion: how about increasing the options for a subscription? Instead of just a 6 month or year subscription, how about a one month subscription? As noted previously things DO change and hopefully not as often once Narrow Band has taken effect. I can understand some people's frustration with no longer having that subscription to keep their feeds up to date. However if a month was offered a person could update when needed but not have the rest of the subscription go to waste if no more updates are needed. Why pay for 6 months when one would do to update and keep the feed going?

I have used the Database and the help on these forums to get my scanner digitally programmed. Before that I was clueless. I would not hesitate to pay for a month to do what I needed to do and I would hate to lose some of the great people here. YOU have made this site what is. Hopefully Lindsay and the rest of the administration will see this and makes some amends.

GeekNJ

I'm not a paid subscriber and I don't provide a feed, though I have previously considered it. I am though very interested in this discussion and actual currently side with the folks that feel it's not a change for the better.

Obviously the site is in business to make money and that's all perfectly acceptable. I'm all for folks making money. I forced my entire family to buy music and not steal it because people deserve to be compensated for their work.

What I'd like to see is the following...

Immediate benefits of the change to current feed providers:
1)
2)

Immediate benefits of the change to current RR paid subscribers:
1)
2)

Current cost of site access to RR features for current feed providers:

Future cost of site access to RR + BCify for current feed providers:

Current cost of site access to features for RR paid subscribers:

Future cost of site access to features to RR + BCify for current RR paid subscribers:

Without the above, in my head, I see it as RR.com paid subs pay the same and lose out on the paid feed they previously had or pay an additional $6.95/mo for what they currently have. And I see the feed providers as having to pay $2.95/mo for something they currently have. Do either paid subs or feed providers not pay more to get the same features they have today? If not, no matter how you want to market/spin it, I can't see how anyone other then those that profit from the site would consider this a positive change, at least in the short term.

And I don't think there would be an immediate drop-off of disappointed feed providers since they have 3 months of continued service. The drop-off, if any, would likely occur after the 90 days when the transition is complete.

n4yek

I think the best statement on here was one who claimed to provide the service for elderly and handicapped who could not afford a scanner. :lol:
Like they would be able to afford to buy a computer and monthly subscription to broadband internet or have a smartphone and monthly cell phone bills.

KI4VBR

Premium Subscriber
$2.50/Month Does Not Equal Feed Provider'

I don’t think most people have a problem with the 2.50 per month. The way I see it, it was more of a respect or acknowledgement from RR to the feed providers that they value our feeds. Many of us do incur additional costs to provide a feed and it will never equal $2.50/Month....it will always exceed. I have been through a lot of gear this year following a lightning hit.....but I got out the duct tape and coat hangers and pieced back together a system.

Having access to the database seemed like a token of appreciation the way I viewed it. I don’t think it is proper to judge someone that can or can’t afford 2.50 a month…… We are not in their shoes so we should not make assumptions.

I do think there are a lot of feed providers who want the acknowledgement and or respect of a complimentary database subscription regardless of their ability to pay 2.50/month. A precedent was set a while back and obviously it worked well.

A number of $25,000 was identified as a benefit to providers. Is that a real number of dollars across the table to RR, or just a perception of value of a particular benefit? If RR truly would lose out on that kind of revenue, than I respect that number, but in reality, how much money would RR be losing out on if it continued offering DB access to providers? I think after all the number crunching and more importantly, minimizing attrition of feed providers, there might not be much lost if we kept things the same. But this is just one man’s opinion….. and I am not an economics scholar.
It just seems like there is a very simple solution out there that may be overlooked….that’s all I am trying to convey here. Change lots of other things, but minimize change in areas that really count…..your providers pride is a huge one.

Best of luck,
Vince Caruso
KI4VBR – EL88ob

KE7JHC

For now, my feed is offline. It isn't about the $2.50 per month, its about what I get for the money. I will never, ever use any of the perks of the new Broadcastify service. I hardly ever have to re-program radios, but when I do, automatic updating from the RR database is a huge help. So, if I have to pay $30 per year to easily update my radios maybe twice per year while receiving "perks" that I'll never use to provide a feed for a "management team" that really doesn't care what its providers think, I'll pass. Then I win. I get equipment and a computer back that I can use for something else and I'll reprogram by hand when I have to. Also, before any accusations, my feed has been online for 2 years with very minimal downtime. When you tell a group of dedicated individuals that you're going to give them something as a thank you for their service, then you take it away and have an attitude of "too bad, deal with it", a majority of those individuals are probably going to be upset.

Thanks for the memories, but I think its definitely time to move on...

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I don’t think most people have a problem with the 2.50 per month. The way I see it, it was more of a respect or acknowledgement from RR to the feed providers that they value our feeds

So fact that we've paid out over $10,000 in cash to issue gift certificates to feed providers doesn't show respect or acknowledgement? Or how about the active promotion of broadcaster's feeds to the public through social media? Does that not show respect or acknowledgement from RadioReference? Or how about the times we've donated, loaned, or given thousands of dollars worth of equipment to providers to continue hosting feeds? Or the hundreds of hours our volunteer support team puts in to help providers?

Does none of that count as "respect or acknowledgement from RR to the feed providers that they value our feeds?"

SOUTHBAYSCANNER

Welcome to SouthBayScanner.com
Feed Provider
Sorry, just to clarify when I said that I "don't" like clicking the Scanner Master ads...What I meant to say is that I DO enjoy clicking on the Scanner Master ads. But that's neither here nor their, just wanted to clarify, thats all.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wow! To hear all the complaints, you'd think that this site is a healthcare provider or a government website and your taxes just went up.

Think what you want about the situation and the owner (who took me off his facebook friend list, :-(, lol) but it is his site, his rules, his plaything. He doesnt owe us really anything, he is putting up the $ to keep this site going.

People complain about the extra $. It sucks but we live in a society where expenses, taxes, whatever never really diminish. It's a fact of life and all of those mixed drinks and LSU hats cost $. (dont get your back up Lindsay, just having fun0.

I mentioned this summer that there could be recognition given to long time members, it started a discussion and either died or was forgotten, I havent really been paying attention, life takes up too much time. Perhaps the owner here might want to offer good members (not me) who take the time to post to the DB and write Wiki articles, but honestly we get enough with the site being around.

For those who dont want to pay because they were given memberships when they had feeds; it is very easy to cut and paste and post data to your software. Use Excel files, it takes a few min to build up data for a scanner like the 396 or 296 or whatever It's not like you will have to pay either if you own a HPatrol, its all there for you. To me, thats pretty generous.

Good luck to those who opt out and to the team that runs this site. For all the moaning and groaning, I still, like you, enjoy coming to the site.

Regards from the 416/905.

KI4VBR

Premium Subscriber
Of Course It Counts

Does none of that count as "respect or acknowledgement from RR to the feed providers that they value our feeds?"

Sure that counts as respect ...respect to some of the providers. I would almost think it would be a minority of the providers, but I dont know the numbers there.

I am just a plain ol everyday provider who doesnt really know about all of the things RR does for others (with the exception of the listener count award). I just put my feed out there, hit the database every now and then, read a few messages in the forums and the move on.

I think there are a number of others who share a similar mode of operation as I do and I guess my earlier comments reflect those types of providers and I should have identified that. Again, only RR sys-ops would really know the numbers so I can only speak on "gut-feel".

Sometimes, it is the simple things that mean the most. I just want to point out that the simple things can easily be overlooked....thats all. Please dont take this as offensive or defensive.....just stating one person's observation.

Again, my best wishes for your new endeavour.

Vince

Robotics

By the way, your claim to pay incentives is suspect. I host the Bastrop County Texas feed, we had the 3rd largest wildfire in US history last year, 1988 listeners and I got nothing. But that's not why I broadcast.

Too bad greed will destroy another good service. Too bad Gordon sold out, I figured it would all go to crap eventually.

I am also suspect. The feed I provide happens to be in the county that had the earthquake on the east coast last year. I had a lot of listeners for days. (1k+)
Not that I was hoping to get anything but, my numbers were extremely high. So be it...this is not why I provide a feed for anyway. It is an honor to do so. But

I am also one that will have to reconsider if I will continue to provide a feed. Not because of the above mentioned, but because the only perk I had here is now going to be taken away. Perks are what they are. Take them away, and you end up having people like me wondering why. And I have yet seen a decent reason to do so.

briantrue

I agree with the last person. Sure those are signs of respect, but only to a very very small percentage of the people doing this. The majority of feed providers are never going to see numbers like that and never get any of those things. It's just more corporate america talk trying to make something look good when in reality it isn't.

I'm still dumbfounded. No one here is asking for a lot. It's something so small and trivial and isn't going to cost you $25,000 to give it. Heck it sounds like most won't be signing up for a RR subscription anyway so I'm sure the number is no where near that.

The lack of caring, willing to work with us, and just total disrespect is what everyone is in an uproar about. Very cold, unfriendly, all about money replies are all we've gotten. There is nothing that turns people off more.

Confuzzled

Another case of 'We're the company and we're gonna do what we're gonna do and we don't care what anybody thinks".

Maybe a thread a couple on months back explaining what was in the works and asking for user input and suggestions might have alleviated some of this alienation.

Instead, it's dumped on the populace after the fact with a 'like it or lump it' attitude.

sfd119

What about if you have submitted information to the DB you get a subscription for a year for the DB updates?

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Think what you want about the situation and the owner (who took me off his facebook friend list, :-(, lol) but it is his site, his rules, his plaything. He doesnt owe us really anything, he is putting up the $ to keep this site going.

People complain about the extra $. It sucks but we live in a society where expenses, taxes, whatever never really diminish. It's a fact of life and all of those mixed drinks and LSU hats cost $. (dont get your back up Lindsay, just having fun0.

Lol! :cool:

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
By the way, your claim to pay incentives is suspect. I host the Bastrop County Texas feed, we had the 3rd largest wildfire in US history last year, 1988 listeners and I got nothing. But that's not why I broadcast.

Too bad greed will destroy another good service. Too bad Gordon sold out, I figured it would all go to crap eventually.

I checked this out, and it indeed appears that we did not pay icsfsedod a feed provider incentive that we owed him. We dropped the ball and will make this right.

I've contacted the feed provider to get his address so we can get the gift certificate issued to him.

Update: We've made contact with the feed provider icsfsedod and got the gift certificate issued.

Last edited:

tmundal

Just another guy throwing his $.02 into the hat.

This is how I view it..

I provide two feeds. Neither of which have ever, nor will they ever reach enough listeners to get any kind of payout. At first I did it because I wanted our local fire department who was going through a labor spat with our city government to have a way to let the public listen to what they do. I added a second feed (local police and sheriff) when the one that was there went away (I think the provider moved out of the area). The premium subscription was an added perk, which I have used quite a bit, when I travel to program the areas I am going through. Now I have two computers, and two $200 trunking scanners committed to providing these feeds 24/7 with very little downtime. Maybe someone will replace me feeds. Maybe not. I just have no use for the 'benefits' that the new site provides. Also with the nationwide move to narrowband, aren't most of these feeds going to dry up anyway?

vansigint98661

Premium Subscriber
We feel we are overly generous in what we've provided our feed broadcasters in the past and what we will continue to offer.

I am a member but not a feed provider, so I have no horse in this race. It is certainly Mr Blanton's site and he has the right to do as he pleases.

That being said, the above quote reminds me of discussions with bosses in the past. You know, when you ask for a raise because your bills increase but your salary hasn't in ten years. Or when asking for benefits that are not provided like healthcare. Then the boss replies that he feels they have been "overly generous" in allowing me to work for them for all of those years. Interestingly, this was a cheap *** attorney who made money the old fashion way, he inherited it!

My point is simple, that most of us do not believe Mr. Blanton to be anything but a gentleman. However statements that have been quoted throughout this thread to the extent that "this is the way it is so take it or leave it" seem out of character. The quote I have above was seriously arogant sounding and it offended me. While he has more than just a right to whatever opinion he holds, that simply gives an appearance that I believe is misleading. I believe that he cares, but statements he's made contradict that.

It would seem the simple solution is one suggested several times about simply giving the feed providers the choice as to which subscription they desire. Why is it that the simple solutions are either overlooked or disregarded?

I would disagree with grumpyguard however that programming is just as simple without the premium subscription. I am sitting here looking at five high end scanners and have several other handhelds as well and one in the car. The software for programming these is not inexpensive either. (Much of this was purchased through Scanner Master BTW; although I knew of Rich through his books, I was not aware of the whole business until I found RR) and trying to do them all by hand entry into the software would be a nightmare. While the DB is not always correct, fixing that after downloads is far easier than the alternative. I applaud those who find the time and patience to do these newer radios by hand, but many of us feel this is better and are willing to pay.

Clearly those who provide some of the feeds feel this is an important perk/incentive, and ought to have the choice as to this or the one currently suggested. Frankly, I don't see the issue here. It's in its planning/early stages and it would seem simple to change this decision. Is Mr. Blanton seriously that intransigent? One would hope not. To me it seems a simple thing to change, and for the PR alone, probably worthwhile. It would also prove to us all that Mr. Blanton really does care about what his "clients" think and act accordingly.

Lots of good arguments on both sides. Many bad as well. But the bottom line in my opinion and the one that made me post, was simply that Mr. Blanton gives what I believe (and hope to be) the wrong appearance of an arogant, intransigent attitude, that IMHO requires adjustment. I hope he understands this is not a personal attack (again because I think it perhaps an ill planned group of statements at the height of passion, which does not reflect his true feelings...or at least I hope this is the case) but it may well be the impression which many of us have as a result of reading some of the posts.

While I think the new venture is a positive one, the implementation requires some work. I don't think it's too late, it hasn't yet come out. In this case try compromise.

But then again, who am I?

Status
Not open for further replies.