• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Commercial businesses using FRS/GMRS? Chick-fil-A, I'm looking at you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill4long

I expect that the change of maximum TX power from the toy-like 500 mW to 2 Watts might cause many businesses to re-evaluate FRS as a feasible option.

If I needed license-free talkies I would use MURS or the 900mhz radios, because of the fact that no MURS or 900 mhz bubble pack radios exist that the kiddies are using, but most businesses probably dont know about those services. They just get on Amazon and look for "walkie talkies." But... a lot of business use FRS around here with zero care or interference from the kiddies.

romanr

The CFA near me that I've posted about earlier finally wore out the CCRs they were using. ... Now they are using Retevis RT22 FRS radios. ...

At four radios for $58.99, isn't the Retevis RT22 still considered a CCR? (maybe one of the better ones, but still...)

romanr

They work just fine. Be a bigot about China if you want (that's okay with me) but the radios are decent FRS radios.
No bigotry intended (Employer sent me to Shanghai and Chengdu for a few years, so I respect the fact that they can make radios of all qualities - good, bad, etc.). I just found it interesting to say that CFA went from CCRs to the RT22 (no offense intended N1DAS)

borderpolman

Borderpolman
Premium Subscriber
Some commercial users of GMRS in my neighborhood. They are professional and their coms are appropriate. The clutter on the band occurs in the summer months when beach visitors and campers come to area. Colorful (foul mouth) conversations abound along with messages in languages other than english.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
A what?

(It's ham, never capitalized nor in all caps...)

Sad Ham is capitalized.....

eh3ASZ2.jpg

Those who follow NotARubicon on YT will understand. :D LOL!!

CoAxeMann

It sounds to me like maybe Chick Fil A is doing this as a normal thing for them. I say that because there is one about .4 to .5 miles from me and they use FRS as well. I hear them a lot in the afternoon hours. Home Depot uses FRS as well. Not 100% sure what brand, but they look like Baofeng to me as well. UV5 maybe. I have a UV5 and they look real similar. That said, I personally would not bother reporting them even though it is a violation. 😁🤓

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
It sounds to me like maybe Chick Fil A is doing this as a normal thing for them. I say that because there is one about .4 to .5 miles from me and they use FRS as well. I hear them a lot in the afternoon hours. Home Depot uses FRS as well. Not 100% sure what brand, but they look like Baofeng to me as well. UV5 maybe. I have a UV5 and they look real similar. That said, I personally would not bother reporting them even though it is a violation. 😁🤓

Read the thread. It isn’t really a violation.

ecps92

Are you sure about Home Depot ??
they have an extensive Corporate Radio control network and [IMHO] have never been heard/found or seen using FRS or GMRS
they are mostly UHF and with frequencies NEAR FRS/GMRS but 100% NOT on FRS/GMRS

Reconrider

Are you sure about Home Depot ??
they have an extensive Corporate Radio control network and [IMHO] have never been heard/found or seen using FRS or GMRS
they are mostly UHF and with frequencies NEAR FRS/GMRS but 100% NOT on FRS/GMRS
Home Depot uses common business uhf

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Using a Baofeng UV-5 sure is. They aren't Part 95 certified. Not that anybody particularly cares. But it is a violation.

I'm not there but I'm 99.9% sure that's not what they're using. They're likely using GMRS accepted radios (similar to the Baofeng look-alikes that Walmart uses on MURS...they aren't Baofengs but B-Tech, which is different).

Status
Not open for further replies.