Comms exercise

Status
Not open for further replies.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Going on now. AACo Mike, MD Tac 6, Howard D1, and a BCo tg.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
SWOme user was on MD Tac 6 "above the falls." He stated if he turned in one direction, nobody could hear his messages. If he turned in another, the transmissions completed. He was advised to turn in "that" direction, lol. Howard channel D1 is Delta 1.

Gunpowder Falls? No falls in Anne Arundel; not sure about Howard.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Cascade Falls at Patapsco Valley SP.

The Communications Test was at Patapsco Valley SP. Balto Co Fire, Howard Fire, and NRP participated. Never heard AA on MD Tac 6 but they participated on "Mike" on AA System.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Cascade Falls at Patapsco Valley SP.

The Communications Test was at Patapsco Valley SP. Balto Co Fire, Howard Fire, and NRP participated. Never heard AA on MD Tac 6 but they participated on "Mike" on AA System.
Sometimes it seems like AACo Fire does not have FIRST programming in its radios.

FireEM09

Feed Provider
At one point, I heard on AACo Mike for the individual to switch to BaltCo Tac 6-2, so that was the other TG they were utilizing.

Sometimes it seems like AACo Fire does not have FIRST programming in its radios.

Agreed. The Command staff likely has it programmed, but field units probably do not? Or if they do, it is rarely used in either case. The only time you might hear AACo Fire on FIRST is either on the Marine Tacs with Queen Anne's County or MdTA Bay Bridge PD when dealing with a Bay Bridge incident, even then, they typically stay on AACo Juliet.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Some but not all AACo fire boats seem to have FIRST; Talbot County (and I think QAC) responds to water rescues in its jurisdiction on Marine Tac 2 which is controlled by DNR. USCG Annapolis does not seem to use FIRST; USCG Oxford has a FIRST capable radio, but *may* be FDMA only. A lot of capability not being leveraged by stakeholders IMO.

Dispatcher308

Premium Subscriber
SWOme user was on MD Tac 6 "above the falls." He stated if he turned in one direction, nobody could hear his messages. If he turned in another, the transmissions completed.

Gunpowder Falls? No falls in Anne Arundel; not sure about Howard.

That was me, We were at the Avalon area of Patapsco State Park. If anyone knows that area, knows why we were there testing.

Nate

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Yea, did a project there a few years ago; fairly steep, heavily wooded river valley. From what UT2 recorded from AACo "Mike" (not comprehensive,) units participating were RID 5302 BCo "Cap"; RID 29503 HoCo "PM15"; RID 49024 "Fire Alarm 5"; RID 49141 "Comm 500." I didn't hear (i.e. record) any NRP units on Mike, but mention was made of "NRP 95" and Fire Alarm 5 seemed to hear him.

The closest tower sites to the Avalon area seems to be Brady Ave or Westview on BCo; Northern District or Blobs Park on AACo; Timbers on HoCo; and BWI, Rolling Road, or Waterloo on FIRST. The closest site on DNR's VHF system looks like Holofield. At one point, FA5 indicated that BCo was negative, HoCo "could get a signal into the system, but not readable." Not sure if that was an evaluation of the area in general, or a specific location. A coordinate was given in a grid system that was not the standard WGS84.

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Looking at logs only from MD Tac 6, the HoCo units participating use the same RIDs on their home system and FIRST: RID 2470153 and 2470134 are normally seen on Fire TGs; RID 2465511 and 2466562 have been seen on Tech / Comm TGs and TG 10983.

BCo units also use the same RIDs on both systems, RID 2253641 and 2253248. I don't normally receive BCo from my office, thus I don't have a history of those RIDs.

I didn't see any RIDs for AACo units on MD Tac 6, at least at first glance.

Status
Not open for further replies.