Communications Tower Sabotaged

Mophead

Premium Subscriber
How do you not get seriously injured when cutting a guy wire? I'd think it would crack like a whip with all that tension.
Maybe remotely set off one of those thermite contraptions used to weld cable to ground rods?

n5ims

A TV station in NW Louisiana had their transmitter tower collapse with "no apparent cause" and sued RCA (the contractor that built it) for damages. Several in the area claimed that it was vandalism but since the station's insurance didn't cover vandalism and the inspectors couldn't find a direct cause of the collapse, although there was damage to guy wires at one of the locations (ruled due to the collapse, not as a cause of the collapse) insurance covered the damage and sued RCA to recover their costs.

There was also a 2000' tower near Jackson MS that collapsed twice (well, the original collapsed and was rebuilt and that one collapsed later and was again rebuilt) that had several police reports of people shooting at the tower and causing damage to it. Neither collapse were ruled to have been caused as a result of the shots hitting and damaging the tower(s).

Ravenfalls

Premium Subscriber
Arizona is adding CCTV to remote sites. The system has already worked watching a group doing bad things. The cameras were watching from a long ways off. They were surprised when USFS & Sheriff showed up.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Lucky shot? Thermite? :rolleyes:
Not that I would try it myself, but if it's secured by a bolt/nut at the end, I would think loosening that would be not as dangerous as cutting the cable. My thought is it would snap free and the cable would pull away from you, although the bolt/nut may fly back.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
these guys cut em down good. does not look like a movie scene from final destination. professionals

This guy looks like one of the better ones under a bit of tension

KF5LAU

Premium Subscriber
"On Saturday March 4, 2023, the Furnas County Sheriff’s Office received a report that the communications tower south of Oxford, owned by Strayer Communications, had been toppled and completely destroyed. Preliminary findings indicated intentional damage to a guide wire anchor that resulted in complete structural failure of the tower causing it to fall to the east."

In September 2022, our tower in Kirbyville had 16 coax cables cut in two place, beacon control power cable cut and coax raceway knocked down in three places. Believed someone thought they could get copper. Approximately $50,000 damages.

riccom

Premium Subscriber
-.- .- -. ... .- ... / -.-. .. - -.-- / -- ---
A TV station in NW Louisiana had their transmitter tower collapse with "no apparent cause" and sued RCA (the contractor that built it) for damages. Several in the area claimed that it was vandalism but since the station's insurance didn't cover vandalism and the inspectors couldn't find a direct cause of the collapse, although there was damage to guy wires at one of the locations (ruled due to the collapse, not as a cause of the collapse) insurance covered the damage and sued RCA to recover their costs.

There was also a 2000' tower near Jackson MS that collapsed twice (well, the original collapsed and was rebuilt and that one collapsed later and was again rebuilt) that had several police reports of people shooting at the tower and causing damage to it. Neither collapse were ruled to have been caused as a result of the shots hitting and damaging the tower(s).
The wlbt tower in Raymond ms, is the 2000 tower?

kd7one

Crazy part is them 5g anti nuts are same ones crying next day their cell is out and internet doesn't work screaming at their provider
I think those who are capable of pattern recognition are connecting the development of new RF technology to the major pandemics throughout history.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
How could this not be as serious as an illegal transmission? FBI *might* get involved?
If it is "just" the tower, any federal law enforcement agency can deal with the case, like the FCC's agents. If it is terrorism, then it is the FBI's jurisdiction.