• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Company looking to purchase....low band VHF ....33 Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmurphy4

Our company has a client that wishes to use the 33 Mhz band in the USA, i'm unable to get new equipment from Kenwood,ICOM,Vertex,Motorola,Codan or Hytera. We are looking to link(TCP/IP) all the low band VHF units together since the base station are 100's of miles apart..single frequency . If someone knows a contact or product please PM me so i can assist this client. Thanks.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Our company has a client that wishes to use the 33 Mhz band in the USA, i'm unable to get new equipment from Kenwood,ICOM,Vertex,Motorola,Codan or Hytera. We are looking to link(TCP/IP) all the low band VHF units together since the base station are 100's of miles apart..single frequency . If someone knows a contact or product please PM me so i can assist this client. Thanks.

A few more details might help sort things out. Do they want handhelds? Mobiles? Is there a special reason for that freq range? (They could be better served with other freq ranges, depending on their usage.)

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Yeah......about that...... You really should describe what you are trying to accomplish in as much detail as possible. There is a reason why there is a shortage of Low Band gear (and Low Band sucks for what most users are trying to do with radios). Lots of really smart people here who may be willing to help vet your system before you get too deep into it. TT

N5XPM

It looks like the only new VHF mobile available is Kenwood NX 5600 above 39 Mhz.
Older used units would include Motorola 60 watt M216, Maxtracs, Radius M400s and Kenwood TK 630, 690s and possibly TK 6110 (if they were available to cover 33 Mhz).
Older portables include Motorola HT 1250s and Kenwood TK 190s.
The 33 Mhz units seem pretty sparse in the used world.

rmurphy4

Client has radios(Base station units) and wishes to them without upgrading the system itself. Coverage is between the Golf of Mexico to the Canadian Border.

bill4long

N5XPM

Without knowing more details, the best option is hard to choose, but a few general options exist:

1) Locate used equipment - applies to antennas, radios, etc. An ongoing adventure to keep going.
2) Transition to 41 - 43 Mhz or higher lowland with Kenwood NX 5600h mobile equipment. Smaller antennas, possible less interference and better base performance with modern receivers and new base antennas. NXDN digital might provide desirable benefits as well. If it is not many units, not a major exercise and requires more work initially, but may provide time savings over patching up old equipment in remote locations and vehicles out in the field.
3) Transition to VHF high 110 watt bases and mobiles. Several vendor options, several digital options, some potentially nice features.
4) Add some satellite communications to any of the above choices.

I understand the benefits of dedicated high performance, industrial-grade system over cellphones, but used equipment and frequent maintenance of such a legacy system in remote locations offsets many of those benefits. Obtaining those benefits will likely require some planning and investment in current technology. If it is for the entity referenced above, the risk management folks will likely find support the investment from their $13B of revenues.

N5XPM

I believe you are generally correct, but others here are much more in the loop on that than I am.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Am I confused or did KENWOOD release a Low Band Platter just to keep California State Police.

Kenwood released the NX-5600H RF deck recently. It covers 39-50MHz.
The decision to take it to market was based off getting a larger order from the California Highway Patrol. Without that sale, there likely wasn't enough of a market for a low band mobile.

rmurphy4

Good find. Makes sense given the long and lonely stretches these people can work on. Looking at some of the licenses (many are expired) they have authorization for 120 watts with 350 watts ERP implying they are using directional antennas at the base stations. Makes me wonder, however, why they don't switch to a satellite based system.
Also its 33.xxMhz not just 33 Mhz..FYI

Status
Not open for further replies.