Competent Radio Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

vince48

Premium Subscriber
Greetings.
Can anyone on the board suggest a competent radio tech in the SF Bay Area to make a fairly simple mod on my AOR 5000 requiring soldering? Appreciate any leads. Have a good day.

vince48

cousinkix1953

There used to be a guy named Tony Steller in Redwood City. He worked on CB radios and scanners in the 80s. I dunno if he's around any more?

kma371

QRT
There used to be a guy named Tony Steller in Redwood City. He worked on CB radios and scanners in the 80s. I dunno if he's around any more?

There was a radio shop across the street from San Lorenzo High that did some work on a Motorola radio for me. Don't know if it is still there.

vince48

Premium Subscriber
Thank you Sir. I will try to see if he is still working. How long ago? I can't belive there are not more radio techs or repair people who visitng our site.

Mike_G_D

radio tech

I'd do it for you but I'm located in San Diego County and it probably wouldn't be worth it for you to ship the radio here! But I would suggest that you might try locating a local Ham radio shop in your area (in SF I would think there are at least a few). Just drop by and see if you can talk to any Hams; I'll bet you could find at least one who would be glad to do it either for free or maybe for a beer or small fee;-). At least ask the store folks what the best local Ham Radio website and/or club is and find contacts that way - should solve your problem pretty quickly! I don't think you really need a major radio service shop to do it for you from the jist of your post.

Good luck!

-Mike

vince48

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Mike. yes, San Diego is a bit too far. I called HRO in Oakland and the sales person wasn't very helpful. Thanks again for your offer and advice.

Big_Ears

The radio shop next to San Lorenzo HS was called C-Tech and the owners name is Tom. The place use to be close to the RR tracks and right next to the Lotta Burger.

northzone

Premium Subscriber
Vince,
You might try Bob Kelty. He was doing lots of mods for Glenn at Scanners Unlimited before they closed. You can get his number from inside any Government Radio Systems book.

vince48

Premium Subscriber
Big Ears
Thanks much. I will try tomorrow. I'm taking tomorrow off and will drive by and see.

North Zone. are you sure about Bob. Is Bob still active to do radio work? i sent my 780 to Glen for a "tap", now i wonder who was the doctor?

Seem like the board is coming alive, anymore suggestions? I have one solid offer in Sacramento, anyone closer to Hayward?

kma371

QRT
Thank you Sir. I will try to see if he is still working. How long ago? I can't belive there are not more radio techs or repair people who visitng our site.

Yeah the other person is right C Tech

This was about 10 years ago, but they may still be around

If your in Hayward still, that should be pretty close :)

kma371

QRT
Thanks Mike. yes, San Diego is a bit too far. I called HRO in Oakland and the sales person wasn't very helpful. Thanks again for your offer and advice.

If you call HRO again, ask for mark

Hes a friend of mine he will tell you straight up if he can or cant do it hes the boss over there

Bill
KE6LES

Status
Not open for further replies.