Computer Utilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I finally have a cable connected from my Yaesu FT-8800 to my desktop computer. I think I am getting good direct discriminator audio because the following programs seem to work pretty well with this:

-WinTone 2.02

-WinCTCSS

-WinMDCD

I have tried the kNACk program, but I haven't had much luck with it. Am I correct in assuming that since this set-uo works well with WinMDCD that I am getting good discriminator audio, but that I might have high impedance? And if that is the case I need a buffer amplifier? I have only tried this so far with TSAs 172.900 mHz frequency. I think it displayed 001 on a few occasions, but other times it just continued to display 000. I think someone else mentioned that TSA wasn't usng NAC codes the same way some other users have, however.

Also, what other utilities might I want to consider now that I have the computer connected to the radio tapping direct discriminator audio?

SCPD

QRT
JASII said:
I have tried the kNACk program, but I haven't had much luck with it. Am I correct in assuming that since this set-uo works well with WinMDCD that I am getting good discriminator audio, but that I might have high impedance?
Something like that. The discussions about impedances relate to an impedance mismatch - a hi-Z output connected to a low-Z input. Sort of like hitching a class III trailer to a bicycle.

And if that is the case I need a buffer amplifier?
That will usually help across the board - you may see improvements on weaker non-P25 signals too.

I have only tried this so far with TSAs 172.900 mHz frequency. I think it displayed 001 on a few occasions, but other times it just continued to display 000.
I know I'm sounding like a broken record but ... go get an oscilloscope program. Look at the waveform. If you've downloaded UniTrunker, run the Uniscope program and set up for P25 (4800 symbols per second in C4FM or CQPSK)

If the digits are grey, the program hasn't found anything.

I think someone else mentioned that TSA wasn't usng NAC codes the same way some other users have, however.
Here's the "deal" with NAC codes. They are used for channel access. In comparison, PL and DPL codes are used for channel access AND group identification. For one system - you will likely see the same NAC code across all channels.

Also, what other utilities might I want to consider now that I have the computer connected to the radio tapping direct discriminator audio?
Got any trunked radio systems in your area?

-rick

JASII

Memory Capacity
Audio

Rick,

Thank you for the reply. Yes, there is a wide area Motorola APCO P25 trunked system in the area, as well as numerous LTR systems. The EDACS systems seem to be dying out. We had three, but the City of Bloomington MN shut their EDACS sytem down. That appartently leaves RACOM and Capitol. The Capitol system seems to have one user and the RACOM system seems fairly quiet.

I may have to download UniTrunker and can you suggest an oscilloscope program?

Status
Not open for further replies.