Confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

montanahome

I have had the 996 for three weeks now and everything has me confused about how you actually"scan". When I first started the radio and ever since, when I hit scan it begins an "ID search" of some Alaska system that is already preloaded. I tried to get it to scan the Montana System and could not. It just did an "ID search". I don't think there are any trunked systems in Montana where I am from.

I figured out how to add a system and did so and added a group and put a few frequencies in it. I gave it a SQK number and have tried to get the radio to actually "scan" instead of "search". In fact it says to find an SQK numbered system you have to be in "scan mode". I don't think my radio has ever been in "scan" mode only "search" mode.

Can anyone tell me how to get to "scan mode" to actually scan frequencies? I sure can't find it in any of the instructions. Thanks anyone for helping out. I think if I can get over this hurtle I will be on my way to learning the rest!

teufler

this is a file I created with Freescan 2.16a. It is RaVALLI CTY AND Missoula cty for the Montana State System. Yoiu are about 25 miles south so you might be able to get that as there are 4 Missoula sites. The Montana State only shows one id number so I left the system in search mode to show any ids that are using the system. Not very familiar with the geography where you are at so I didn;t load any Idaho stuff . The file is zipped so you will need to unzip the file first. Then with Freescan, load the file and shoot the file to the radio.

Attachments

• ravalli mt.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 13

gadgeteck

Try to hit "scan" TWICE QUICKLY. With Uniden's other trunking radios I've owned, the option to id scan and id search is done by the scan button and how fast you press it. So try pressing it twice real quickly and you should see it go from scan to search and visa versa. Hope this helps you. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO REMOVE THIS POST SO I WILL JUST UPDATE BY SAYING THAT THE ABOVE INFORMATION WAS ACTUALLY PERTAINING TO A REALISTIC PRO 94 AND NOT A UNIDEN PRODUCT. SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION.

Last edited:

JoeyC

Try to hit "scan" TWICE QUICKLY. With Uniden's other trunking radios I've owned, the option to id scan and id search is done by the scan button and how fast you press it. So try pressing it twice real quickly and you should see it go from scan to search and visa versa. Hope this helps you.

I've owned several Unidens and am not familiar with the method you describe. In any case, hitting Scan twice, no matter how fast or slow accomplishes nothing in the 996, XT anyway. Toggling Search and Scan (in a trunked system) are as I describe above. I have to ask, what is the scanner searching? Trunked, or a conventional search range?

gadgeteck

I appologize. It was a pro-94 I had. So it was Realistic brand. When in trunking mode the scan button was used to toggle between id search and id scan. Sorry for the confusion.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Scanning ion search mode

I have the 396xt. In scan mode, it only looks for programmed frequencies. In search mode, it looks for all traffic on the system(s) or tower(s) you programmed. That way you will hear changes or additions to the systems.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
That is correct if it is scanning in conventional mode. In trunking when the scanner is in scan mode it looks for talk groups you have programmed and in the search mode it looks for all talk groups. In the trunking mode the scanner looks for the control channel and stays on it while looking for talk groups. It would only scan for frequencies if it lost the control channel and then looks at any other frequencies with control channel information you may have programmed.

montanahome

I am beginning to understand that with the 996XT that "ID scan" is the same as "scan" on any other scanner. I thought it had to do with trunked systems. I still can't go to the system I entered and added an SQK. Everytime I try to go to the SQK it mentions other numbers like "SNT" or "TGID". I guess one number for a group of frequencies is not enough for this radio!!

More research!

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Using SQK's is just pressing the number on the number pad. Except when you want a SQK greater than a single digit. Entering a 2 digit SQK requires pressing the period key first. Of course you must assign a SQK to each system/site. You can assign more than one system/site to each SQK.

For entering trunk system enter the control channel frequency and the alternate control channel frequencies. That is all the frequencies you need to enter if the scanner uses control channel scanning otherwise enter all the frequencies for each site. In trunking we use sites instead of system. If it is a multi-site system enter the control and alternate control frequencies for each site you are in receiving range of. Then enter the talk group numbers you want to listen to. In ID scan the scanner will stop on only those talk groups you have entered. You can create a talk group name like City Police or County fire. Enter the appropriate talk group ID in each talk group name. In ID search it will stop on any talk group broadcast from that site.

FreedomFries

Premium Subscriber
Oh montanahome, how I feel your pain! I got it switched from Alaska to the next option down which is AWIN for the statewide system here in Arkansas, but no music. The numbers don't really cycle so I am not certain what it is doing. Oh for a video that explains the simple things for us slow learners. Perhaps if I ever figure this out I might just make a couple vids to save some poor souls sanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.