• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Confusion about input/output tone vs. Transmit/Receive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadcalm384

If you are trying to program a repeater is the "Input tone" the same thing as the T-DCS or T-CTCS? Conversely, is the "output tone" the same as The R-DCS or R-CTCS? I am trying to access a repeater on 462.700 that the input tone is a DCS I think (provided by the owner so I'm not publishing) and the output tone is 141.3 (Which is different than the provided input tone and I'm struggling to understand what each tone means and how they function.

nd5y

Programming instructions should always be referenced to the user radio.

Input is the repeater receive frequency and the user radio transmit frequency.
Output is the repeater transmit frequency and the user radio receive frequency.

In Baofeng radio menus:
T-DCS is transmit DCS (or DPL)
T-CTCS transmit CTCSS (or PL)
R-DCS is receive DCS
R-CTCS is receive CTCSS

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
And also keep in mind that you never need to program the repeaters output tone into your radio for things to work. The tone will help prevent you from hearing other repeaters/radios on the same frequency, but is in no way a requirement. The input tone is absolutely a requirement, or you will not be able to key the repeater.

Deadcalm384

Programming instructions should always be referenced to the user radio.

Input is the repeater receive frequency and the user radio transmit frequency.
Output is the repeater transmit frequency and the user radio receive frequency.

In Baofeng radio menus:
T-DCS is transmit DCS (or DPL)
T-CTCS transmit CTCSS (or PL)
R-DCS is receive DCS
R-CTCS is receive CTCSS
Thanks, yes I apologize this is programming a UV-9G Baofeng. So would the output tone of 141.3 be considered the R-CTCSS? or does it need to be programmed into the radio anywhere?

nd5y

So would the output tone of 141.3 be considered the R-CTCSS?
Yes.
or does it need to be programmed into the radio anywhere?
Never program a receive tone unless know exactly what you are doing. Most of the time they are not necessary. It will prevent you from receiving anything unless the tone (if any) from the transmitting station matches. If there is no tone on the transmitting station or you programmed the wrong tone then you will wonder why you can't receive anything.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, yes I apologize this is programming a UV-9G Baofeng. So would the output tone of 141.3 be considered the R-CTCSS? or does it need to be programmed into the radio anywhere?

As I said above, you do not need to program the 141.3 tone to use the repeater. The benefit of using that tone is that you will not hear other radios/repeaters on the same frequency, unless they are also using that tone. If you wanted to us it, it would be the R-CTCS in your radio.

Considering this is GMRS, it might definitely be wise to use the tone, as there can certainly be other repeaters/radios on the same frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.