• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Connect Plus optimized roaming settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Looking for optimal roaming settings for Connect Plus programming. Multi site system, but it tends to lag on switching and I seem to always be on 1 or less bars and not able to hear the other party, forcing me to force a roam to get a higher RSSI site. Hoping to find some settings that don't allow that, but also don't auto site switch while I am in the middle of a back and forth conversation.

Paul

jmazza7371

Premium Subscriber
One of Connect Plus's main gripes is the radio's "dumb" algorithm. It only relies on the acquired control channel's RSSI level in order to decide if it should stay latched or search for another control channel based on the neighboring list. It sucks because while you're stuck on a control channel with 1 bar, another site is available with much better signal strength. Motorola is fully aware of this shortcoming but never did anything about it.
The only way to mitigate is to raise the RSSI so it will search for a better option sooner. But that has some negative side effects.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
What should I look out for if testing with raised RSSI? I am guessing maybe the possibility of infinite site searching? :oops:

jmazza7371

Premium Subscriber
I don't know what your setting are right now, but we use 118 and 107 in our portable configuration. I don't remember the entry field names.You may play with the 118 value by dropping the RSSI to say, 116 and see how it performs for you. These values differ from system to system and it depends on site overlap and site RF Power settings. Good luck.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I'll give those a try...mostly have issue on the mobiles as we drive and the county has hills. The portables are mostly deployed at a single site, and only have issues when were are in poor coverage areas and they go site searching through 60 sites while I am trying to key up. :mad:

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
What band and how dense (far apart) are the sites? What band? Mostly mobiles or portables? Do 6550/4550s work better or worse than 7550/5550s ?I have optimized quite a bit of Mototrbo roaming. A lot of Mototrbo starts to break down when the portables are rx'ing the site around -100 to -105 in UHF. So, in that scenario, I would want it to roam at -92 to -95 (before getting to edge of coverage area. This will also depend on site density. Agree Connext Plus algorithm is dumb. CapMax is much better, but it is up to each system owner to determine if the cost is worth upgrading. TT

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
On the southern California Fisher Connect Plus 450-470MHz system, 5 primary mountains in my county. An additional issue I am having is the repeater outputs are much much weaker relative to the receive capability of the repeater, meaning I can get into it full signal while barely able to or loosing reception for receive. We use XPR4550 mobiles and XPR6550 portables...I had a personal XPR7350 on at one time, much better performance. There are several transition areas where terrain causes a site switch need, where the radios lag on the blip of maybe half a signal bar...high traffic freeway routes so it's pretty common. I should also mention the radios are on current firmwarez, but ancient and have never been, and will never be, aligned since leaving the factory, which could be part of the RX issues. Below is my as last programmed roaming CPS screen. Let me know what to fill in and I will spit the new programming in for testing...and thank you for helping. :)

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 4.27.45 PM.png

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Sorry for the delay. I have been in Aspen, Colorado working on a large Capacity Max system with several major issues. I would lower (move closer to zero) the preferred and minimum RSSI values by 3db at a time and test for a few days to a week to see if it gets any better. Preferably, I would develop a test scenario where you move from site A to then Site B then site C, etc with hopefully some crappy roaming areas in that mix. Then, run that same scenario several times with each change in values and write down/note the pros and cons of each test. Like others may have alluded to above, it isnt a very good algorithm. So, for your values I would go to 101 preferred and 105 minimum. If that helps, then lower it again by 3do. You want to see where it breaks and then go back one step. TT

Status
Not open for further replies.