• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Connect Systems CS120D Import Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Just purchased a new CS120D handheld, I already had a CS750. In the programming software for the new radio I exported the frequencies and copied the information from the CS750 into the proper fields, filling ion all the proper information. Every time I try to import the frequencies the import fails. Also when I try to import zones it imports something else (Contacts?). I have looked online and can not find any code plugs for the 120D and haven't been able to import the 750 frequencies, I'd hate to have to start from scratch.

Does anyone know of any way to import into this radio, code plugs (RDBX file) for this radio, or anyway to convert my existing code plug (RDB file) to the RDBX version?

bharvey2

I have a number of CS radios but have no experience with the CS120. In the programming software for the CS DMR capable radios I have, there is a CPS Data Translate option in the Tools drop down menu. Does such a tool exist in the CS120 CPS? (This is all assuming that the codeplugs are remotely compatible.)

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Yes there is that option, but it will only allow you to select the 120D file format of RDBX, not the CS750 RDB file. The fields are basically the same but the 120D has some columns for the trunking option and a few columns are in different places.

I don't understand why when I exported it and tried importing using the same format it would not work.

bharvey2

Well, I get the file dissimilarity issue between the CS750 and the CS120 but as far as your export/import problem, that seems strange. I've had that problem with CS700/800 series of radios after a firmware update but the CPS data tools resolve the problem. It sounds like a phone call to Jerry at Connect Systems may be in your future. Other than that, how do you like the radio? I looked at it briefly but there isn't much on the CS website and I couldn't even find a copy of the CPS to download to study.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Spoke to Jerry and he wasn't sure, looking at a few things and if needed he'll get back to the distributor and ask them to correct issues. Funny thing is if I export the channels (only the channels according to the CPS) from the 120D and then import them to a blank (new) configuration, it works okay importing the channels back in, but wipes out all my zones and fills it in with contacts. Have to spend some time playing with the CPS and figure out all my issues before going back to Jerry.

The CPS along with the service manual are on the website now. As for the radio, it's nice, a little learning curve with how to use the buttons (that aren't real sturdy or responsive).

bharvey2

It sounds like you wound up on the CS120 shakedown cruise. Maybe I'll head over to the CS website this evening and download the CPS. I spoke to Jerry a bit about this radio wondering if it was a planned replacement for the CS100 which I order for employees at work. They're decent enough for our application and although I have run over my bench for repairs, they're cheaper than Moto/Kenwood, None of which can withstand someone running over one with a forklift. (It happens more than you'd think around here.)

bharvey2

Appreciate you looking at it for me. Be interested in what you think.

I downloaded the CPS and built up a small codeplug with a few analog and digital channels. I tried the export/import and sure enough, the import fails. I'm still using Office 2007 so I don't know if that is part of the problem. But having tried several times, i couldn't get a new codeplug to import the channels successfully. I didn't try working with contacts or zones so I can't say whether the same issue occurs with them.

I have to say, I'm not sure what's going on with many parts of the codeplug. I've worked with LTR trunking but never DMR trunking so a lot is "Greek to me". I also notice that analog channels are 12.5k only so this doesn't lend itself to ham use.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I downloaded the CPS and built up a small codeplug with a few analog and digital channels. I tried the export/import and sure enough, the import fails. I'm still using Office 2007 so I don't know if that is part of the problem. But having tried several times, i couldn't get a new codeplug to import the channels successfully. I didn't try working with contacts or zones so I can't say whether the same issue occurs with them.

I have to say, I'm not sure what's going on with many parts of the codeplug. I've worked with LTR trunking but never DMR trunking so a lot is "Greek to me". I also notice that analog channels are 12.5k only so this doesn't lend itself to ham use.

If you don't mind, try entering/adding a few contacts and zones, then export/import CHANNELS only. Afterwards see if your contacts or zones were changed with the channel only import.

bharvey2

I added a few contacts and zones and tried the Channel Export. The export occurred successfully and I went back to check my newly created contacts and zones. They seemed fine to me. Keep in mind I auto created the new contacts (contact1, contact2, contact3, etc) and same with the zones. FOr the zone channel contact, I just varied the few channels I had in each one (Zone1 all channels, zone2 digital channels, zone3 analog channels, etc.)

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for trying, that was another issue I had where it was putting contacts in the zone column when I tried importing channels only.

bharvey2

Thanks. BTW, I see you have a CS750. I have a couple and just performed the latest firmware update. After doing so, I get "bonked" and get a "Call Failed!" error message when trying to key up a DMR repeater. Analog repeaters are fine. However, if a double tap the PTT button, I get a confirmation tone. I didn't notice the problem until I read of another user on on the CSIDMR groups.io noted it. I've sent an e-mail to Jerry at Connect Systems regarding the problem. Hopefully Jerry can get it corrected quickly. I don't know if this affects other radios but I'm glad I haven't updated my CS800 mobile yet.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
haven't updated firmware in a while as it is working great. Like it a lot better than the 120D

Status
Not open for further replies.