Connecting to Arizona Repeaters

jdurbano

The "Original" Italian Stallion
First, please accept my apology if this subject has been done before. I am a total noob. I am trying to connect to Arizona repeaters (actually an repeaters will work) but mostly Arizona. Is there s "Repeaters for Dummy's" site somewhere? I am trying to learn how to connect to some repeaters but it seems it is a little more complicated than I expected. If someone can at least point me in the right direction to be "educated" a bit I would be very happy. Thank you in advance for your assistance.
I have a Radtel RT-470X

caphab1

You're gonna have to share some better details, specifics what kind of repeaters you're trying to connect to.. analog, p25, DMR, NXDN etc.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
You're gonna have to share some better details, specifics what kind of repeaters you're trying to connect to.. analog, p25, DMR, NXDN etc.
That model radio appears to be a HAM Radio in the 2 Meter Band. I'll yield to a Ham Person to respond to the OP's question since, I'm just a lowly GMRS licensee and user that is not a Ham person.

Last edited:

KB7MIB

There is a "Ham Radio For Dummies" book, that you might be able to find at Barnes & Noble.

You can also go to Ham Radio Outlet in Phoenix (northeast corner of 43rd and Peoria Aves) if you live in the Valley, and find several publications that can help new hams, including the above book.

There's also this website that lists all of the repeaters in the state. It's run by the Arizona Repeater Owners Frequency Coordination Committee:

John
Peoria

n0doz

Greetings!
Welcome to the Forum. Your question about "repeaters" has more than one direction. We have several different types of Amateur Radio repeaters, may of which are within the capability of your radio. We also have Public Safety bands, Business Band, General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS), and the Aviation Bands. Are you already licensed as a Ham or GMRS operator? If so, I can point you in either of those directions if you're interested. Aviation Band is easy, but your radio might not pick up the Military Aviation Band. Finally, Public Safety and business may or may not be listenable for you, depending on who you want to hear.
Start off with letting us know if you have either license, and if so, I can point you to the folks that can get you on their repeaters.
Best wishes,
Gerry S. N0DOZ/WRMY339

jdurbano

Thank you all for the replies. I am newly GMRS licensed and still "learning" about connecting to repeaters - which haven't done successfully yet. I have a pair of Radtel RT-470x's. Cool little radio's. I'm not really new to radio. I'm an old CB radio junkie from a previous life.

J. D'Urbano, RRT-ACCS (Retired)

N9JIG

Sheriff
There are several GMRS repeaters in the Valley. Try the AZGMRS repeater for free on Tuesdays with PL 141.3 on 462.550, there is a net at 7:00 PM. This one requires a club membership on other days. There are some other free-to-use repeaters around the area on other freqs.

Check out AZGMRS – Arizona GMRS Repeater Club for more info.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
There are several GMRS repeaters in the Valley. Try the AZGMRS repeater for free on Tuesdays with PL 141.3 on 462.550, there is a net at 7:00 PM. This one requires a club membership on other days. There are some other free-to-use repeaters around the area on other freqs.

Check out AZGMRS – Arizona GMRS Repeater Club for more info.
I am an Ambassador for the AZ GMRS Club. Please feel free to ask any questions regarding the Club or if you need any radio programming help. The Club is fortunate to have a wealth of knowledgeable members that are waiting to help you at any time. All you have to do is ask.

jdurbano

Two questions:
What sort of FCC license do you have?
What repeaters do you want to connect to, specifically?
I have a GMRS license and any repeater for now. It's kinda a learning curve for now. Thank you for the reply...

J. D'Urbano, RRT-ACCS (Retired)
WRZJ275
Glendale, Arizona