• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Considerations about linking GMRS repeaters.

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
Not trying to be an ass but have an honest question ... doesn't the use of a tone squelch on a channel "render the listen before talk etiquette ineffective and undermines the basic structure of this service"? If you have a tone set on your radio for a channel that doesn't match other's, you will have no idea if someone else is talking before you as your radio will effectively ignore incoming signals if the tone doesn't match or is absent.
In the ancient times , mobiles used to be programmed for off hook monitor.

But even in the commercial world, that really isn’t done these days, at least in these woods as EVERY commercial pair is shared. You wouldn’t be able to transmit due to all the IPSC beacons, and over saturation of licenses on frequencies.

Trying to operate like that on GMRS is not possible, for the simple fact of bubble packs on every channel. Kids being kids etc.

tomk62

Yes and no. You should have a "monitor" button on your HT that drops the tone and lets you hear if the frequency is in use. On mobiles, there is "hub defeats pl" which automatically drops the tone when you take the microphone off the hook, and lets you know if someone is on frequency.
Doesn't that effectively make the tone squelch feature useless if you're always having to "disable" it before you talk? That doesn't sound practical.

You could also look at the meter on the screen, if you see activity, someone is likely using the frequency.
What GMRS radios have a meter?

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I see that most of the Midland radios have one, plenty of commercial radios do as well. In fact most, if not all have at a minimum TX/RX light that is red when transmitting and green when receiving. If there was someone using the frequency on a different tone, you would see the green light but not see anything.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Doesn't that effectively make the tone squelch feature useless if you're always having to "disable" it before you talk? That doesn't sound practical.

My radios have a monitor button, and a blinking TX light when the channel is busy. More modern radios also have a busy lock out on the TX. All those effective for monitoring the channel. Most radios I have seen have at least two if those functions.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber

You misunderstand the purpose of tone squelch. It is a convenience to allow people to limit the traffic they hear-not to block out all users other than those they wish to talk to. All other part 95 rules still apply-you MUST monitor the frequency before transmitting to ensure that you are not interfering with another user.

bill4long

How about we petition the FCC to give up some of that wasteland 70CM ham band to GMRS?? I'm all for that, what do you all think? Then we could have 100 repeater pairs and linking would not be an issue.

Probably a non-starter given that ham usage of 70cm has always been on a secondary basis. Although a no-test Tech license that gives privileges on, say, 900 mhz, might work.

DeoVindice

P25 Underground
Yes and no. You should have a "monitor" button on your HT that drops the tone and lets you hear if the frequency is in use. On mobiles, there is "hub defeats pl" which automatically drops the tone when you take the microphone off the hook, and lets you know if someone is on frequency.

You could also look at the meter on the screen, if you see activity, someone is likely using the frequency.
Likewise, noise-based busy channel lockout will inhibit transmission until no activity is detected on the frequency.

Smac61

Feed Provider
Regarding monitoring, whats the purpose of a repeater if not to allow communications between stations that can't hear each other?

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Regarding monitoring, whats the purpose of a repeater if not to allow communications between stations that can't hear each other?

Correct. I think the part about listening first was to not step on another user that may be using the same frequency but not intending to use the repeater? I guess. But in that case I would say all have equal access to the frequency/channel?

prcguy

In the ancient times , mobiles used to be programmed for off hook monitor.
Brings back memories of the tube type GE Progress line GMRS transceiver in my 67 Plymouth station wagon in the late 70s. Radio is tone squelched with the mic hung up, remove mic and hear anyone else on channel, which was not much in the 70s.

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
That’s how I have my control station setup at home. I run two repeaters, both use the same pair, just different PL’s. So when off hook , I can hear both. If I initiate the link, I then go back to non monitored and only hear the closest one with minimal heterodyne.

Played with simulcasting, but to get timing and launch correct was almost impossible with using internet as backhaul due to changes in ping times between the sites and third party hosting of the main node etc etc. Had it real close a few times but wasn’t worth spending all my time chasing a moving target.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Some GMRS repeaters have multiple tones in use. For many years, I had my own tone on a high level repeater. There were other users, all with their own tone. Using the off hook function on the radio would let me know if someone was already on the repeater with a different tone.

In some urban areas, there may be more than one repeater on each pair, each repeater running a different tone.

I think the other angle that has been talked about here is that it would be valuable for remotely linked repeaters to check the frequency to see if it was in use before retransmitting from their link. A remote user on another linked repeater has no way of knowing if a channel is in use halfway across the country.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I think the other angle that has been talked about here is that it would be valuable for remotely linked repeaters to check the frequency to see if it was in use before retransmitting from their link. A remote user on another linked repeater has no way of knowing if a channel is in use halfway across the country.
This highlights why linked repeaters aren't appropriate for GMRS, as the FCC communique recently posted states, the spectrum is limited and thus, interference potential is high by operating in this manner.

bill4long

Dear GMRS, I'm sorry we let the nincompoops take over. Except it's the FCC's fault because, like, you know, it's their job.

But I don't actually care.

Last edited:

12dbsinad

Dear GMRS, I'm sorry we let the nincompoops take over. Except it's the FCC's fault because, like, you know, it's their job.

But I don't actually care.
Well it's the nincompoops who just want to make something legal that isn't, don't know the laws, and take their own personal opinions as to how it's regulated. Those people should stick to ham radio, as that's the intent of the spectrum.

You're exactly right, it is the FCC fault especially if they do nothing with complaints, which will probably be the case. They don't care. Heck, they don't even care about part 90. They don't work for the average Joe Schmoe anymore, they are run by the big dogs as you're we'll aware. If GMRS doesn't stay somewhat self policing then guess what is going to happen to the repeaters? Best way to not deal with a problem is to get rid of it.

bill4long

Well it's the nincompoops who just want to make something legal that isn't, don't know the laws, and take their own personal opinions as to how it's regulated. Those people should stick to ham radio, as that's the intent of the spectrum.

You're exactly right, it is the FCC fault especially if they do nothing with complaints, which will probably be the case. They don't care. Heck, they don't even care about part 90. They don't work for the average Joe Schmoe anymore, they are run by the big dogs as you're we'll aware. If GMRS doesn't stay somewhat self policing then guess what is going to happen to the repeaters? Best way to not deal with a problem is to get rid of it.
I agree, except that I doubt the FCC will get rid of it. It will just keep going feral. Within 10 years nobody will even bother being licensed.

But again, I don't care personally, except for academic discussion. I have zero use for GMRS.

At least they aren't bootlegging on the ham bands (yet).

(I am all for people getting licensed on ham radio and using that.)