BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Considering BCD996P2 - help/advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumcajs_tr

Hello,
first of all - I live in Europe, so I have no use of the RR database and ZIP scanning functions. Also, we have no P25 here, no multicast issues, 99% of digital is DMR, there are few NXDN and some TETRA (mostly encrypted)
Currently, I am in a search of a decent scanner with good analog reception and capable of DMR. I should mention, that I already owned in the past the BCD536HP and the SDS200E (European version of US SDS200 - different name, same functions).

My main concern is to fully automate the procedure for search of new frequencies (as mentioned, there is no RR database here so we are fully on our own regarding finding of new frequencies).
One thing, which I liked so much about the older Uniden scanners, was the "Search&Store" function, which could cycle multiple user defined custom search ranges all day and store hits - and because it also stores CTCSS/DCS code, you can easily determine whether the hit is just a noise (no CTCSS) or real active frequency (99% of agencies use CTCSS). Then, I could put those hits into separate receiver with recording function and record the real activity to determine, what kind of traffic is it. For this purpose, I use the excellent communications receiver from ICOM - IC-R8600, which is superior regarding RX and has recording function, but unfortunately, It doesn't provide advanced searching mechanisms like the "Search and Store"

I also had the BCD536HP and the SDS200E as mentioned above - unfortunately, Uniden removed the Search&Store function in these scanners and replaced it with the "Discovery" function. I adds the ability to record all hits but has two major disadvantages:
- it is not possible to link multiple search ranges in one discovery run (necessary because the band I want to search in is divided into multiple parts with gaps and with different steps)
- even when I set the Record Duration to 300sec and the Time-out timer to 30sec, after filling these timers, the Discovery stops recording as expected but still holds on the frequency when there is an activity. So when I leave the Discovery ON and leave my home and some noise appears during the the day, the scanner keeps holding on the frequency again and again instead of avoiding it.

So these two bugs make the discovery function on the new SDS and HP scanner line useless.

I am thinking of buying the BCD996P2, which is probably the last representative of the XT scanner line from Uniden with "Classic" functions like Search and Store etc., but it already supports DMR via paid upgrade. I am looking for sore advice / experience from any owner of the BCD996P2 scanner who uses it in a similar way like me - searching the new frequencies.

I have these questions:
- is the Serarch&Store function working well with the custom search ranges (linking multiple search together and running it all day with storing new hits)?
- with the DMR upgrade, does the Search&Store function stores also TG, CC, TS, etc. to the hit? Similar way like it stores found CTCSS/DCS for later analysis.
- what is your opinion on sensitivity on VHF (137-174MHz) and UHF-low (400-470MHz)?
- how the scanner works with external antennas with preamplifiers (strong signals) compared to SDS or HP line?
- how is analog AM audio compared to HP line?
- how is digital DMR audio compared to HP or SDS line?

I also appreciate any other experience, mostly focused to searching new frequencies, not only loading database and scanning.
Thank you for reading my post and possibly giving me any advice.

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
I would use software such as ProScan to aid in searches. The discovery and search-and-store functions are nice, but software makes it more intuitive

As far as which scanner to get, I would get the one which works best for your area. The three you mentioned would work well in conjunction with software. I would also consider Whistler Trx.

As far as tetra, no scanner can decode that mode. There are SDR packages which will decode unencrypted tetra.

rumcajs_tr

Hello, thank you for reply.

As for TRX, I own TRX2 which I have in my car. It has two major disadvantages:
- extremely long load times when using larger database
- impossible to user define steps in search mode - useless in my country
So I mostly use the TRX-2 on the way just for scanning, not for searching.

I own a paid version of ProScan but I have not been successful in reproducing the same behavior as the Search and Store introduces on my BCD436HP connected to ProScan. I was able to set up the logging but I need to automatically avoid the channel when the hit is already registered to let the scanner focus on other frequencies during search. I was not successful with ProScan to do that.

This is why I am considering the purchase of BCD996P2 as an all-in-one device.

Reconrider

I believe most of the upper tier uniden scanner are supported by diems audio record playback program. Make sure the record is on then just let the scanner go in the search function. I don't search the whole aval ranges because they don't scan fast(i think 80 freq/s). I use the program with my sds100 and it's so helpful

rumcajs_tr

BCD996P2 doesn't have internal recording but has audio output jack fot this purpose - but as mentioned in my original post - the recording function is not important for me. The search and Store is important.

I have problems with useless Analyze function on the HP and SDS line so this is the only reason I am looking for XT line scanner.
I also didn't find any way to reproduce the Search and Store function using any software and the 436HP scanner which I own.

Reconrider

Hello, thank you for reply.

As for TRX, I own TRX2 which I have in my car. It has two major disadvantages:
- extremely long load times when using larger database
- impossible to user define steps in search mode - useless in my country
So I mostly use the TRX-2 on the way just for scanning, not for searching.

I own a paid version of ProScan but I have not been successful in reproducing the same behavior as the Search and Store introduces on my BCD436HP connected to ProScan. I was able to set up the logging but I need to automatically avoid the channel when the hit is already registered to let the scanner focus on other frequencies during search. I was not successful with ProScan to do that.

This is why I am considering the purchase of BCD996P2 as an all-in-one device.
So the sds100 is based on the 436 just with the sdr.
What I do with mine hooked up and on Search is, set the "delay" to -5 so after 5 seconds it's forced to continue. Turn the volume down because you'll hear static but just because you hear the static now, doesn't mean later you won't have something on that frequency.

After a day or 2 or Searching AND RECORDING(make sure that's turned on) go to https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/universal-scanner-audio-player.416924/ and get the program(i think the latest version is in his signature)

rumcajs_tr

Yes, this is what I also use - but when there is a static somewhere, you get hundreds of 5 seconds static recordings, which slows the search cycle as it stops on the static again and again even though it is just for 5 seconds every cycle. I think that the Search and Store function uses better solution as it locks out the frequency after first hit and I don't understand why Uniden removed this function from their latest scanner lines (SDS and HP).

The Search and Store works in the way that it cycles the user defined ranges with user defined step and modulation. When it finds active frequency, it stores the frequency into a memory bank together with CTCSS, locks out this frequency and CTCSS combination and continues. Next time, it doesn't stop on the frequency if there is activity again with the same CTCSS. But with different CTCSS (possibly different agency) it stores the frequency again with different CTCSS.

I really don't understand why Uniden removed this function and replaced with analyze. This is why I am looking at the BCD996P2 scanner - the last one with this function. But looking for any user experience before buying it.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
A SDR stick and SDR# is better than any scanner for searching out activity in a range of frequencies. Properly configured, a cheap RTL-SDR can scan through 10MHz of spectrum per second, and you can easily log and record the activity you find. It's both cheaper and a better tool for the job.

rumcajs_tr

Thank you for this suggestion, I already have SDR# and AirSpy r2 and have it configured with the excellent frequency scanner - so I am aware of this solution.
However, this setup is only good if you are sitting next to the PC and observing what is happening. It is useless as a user-free all-day solution as the plugin doesn't store any subtones (CTCSS/DCS) so at the end of the day, you end up with huge frequency list without any additional info - hard to determine what is traffic and what is just noise.
I already discussed the possibility of adding the CTCSS record to the frequency record in the scanner plugin with the plugin author, but this requires deep changes and cooperation of multiple plugins so this was rejected as an idea.
So this setup is a no-go in my situation

Back to my original question - any user experience with the BCD996P2?

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
Tto my original question - any user experience with the BCD996P2?

Yes. Using ProScan with the 996 is the best way to accomplish what you want. Just connect 3.5 mm cable and USB to computer to record. Let it log all day or several days and parse through the data.
I suggest selecting 'EACH TRANSMISSION NEW ROW'. It will give you the information you are seeking.

rumcajs_tr

Thank you for confirmation.
As for the DMR upgrade - does the scanner automatically detect the color code, time slot and talk group when in user defined search? And when in Search and Store mode - are these parameters stored together with the frequency in the same way as is stored the CTCSS when analog is detected?

Ubbe

I'm confident that Uniden will fix the bug that makes the scanner stop on already found frequencies in discovery mode. It worked in older firmwares and HP-1, it just stays briefly to check if there's a new subtone detected. But having only one search range are too limited.

Maybe we could ask @JoeBearcat to add to his list, that the delay settings in scan and search modes that now have positive and some negative delay times, also could have one setting to automaticly avoid a frequency after 3 hits. Delay could have one -30 sec setting that also engage automatic avoid after 3 hits.

What I've seen from people having the 996 are that it is just as good as BCT15x or better. Maybe Unidens best performing radio receiver. I'm also interested in getting that scanner.

/Ubbe

rumcajs_tr

Hello Ubbe, thanks for confirming my own ideas - I also consider the 996 as a "classic line" scanner, which is almost bug-free after all these years of development and user feedback and still have the traditional receive circuit design and not the SDR.
As for the Discovery bug, I will try to provide feedback to @JoeBearcat however I can only confirm this on BCD436HP which I own (I sold the 536 and 200) so maybe the bug doesn't exist on the SDS series in the latest firmware. I also doubt that Uniden will update the x36HP series, they should probably focus all development on the SDS series.
However, as for me - I am going to order the 996 and hope I will get it soon from US to Europe so I can test this classic scanner.
Regards, Ondrej

Ubbe

I also doubt that Uniden will update the x36HP series, they should probably focus all development on the SDS series.
The 536 doesn't even mute the audio, as the 436 do, when it has reached the maximum time allowed but still stops on each old frequency.

It's pretty much the same code being used in 436/536/SDS100/200 for scanning functions and features. So if it is fixed in one model it will more or less automaticly be fixed in all SD card scanners.

If you remember it, then post a comment on how the 996 works out for you. There must be some good offerings on Ebay from people who needs a new SDS scanner to cope with the simulcast systems.

/Ubbe

Ubbe

I looked at Ebay for the sales price of second hand units and they seem to be just $100-$150 less than it is for a brand new one. So no deals to be made at the current price level of used 996P2.

I wonder how a DMR upgrade will be done if Uniden now needs a credit card to be registred in USA? If bough from a dealer maybe they can do that for an additional $10 to the usual DMR cost.

/Ubbe

rumcajs_tr

Yes, this is why I decided to buy a new one. As for the DMR upgrade, I will first try to buy it via my credit card (bought DMR upgrade for 436 in the past without any problems) and if that fails, I will use one of the official US online shops who offer the key for 75 USD instead of 60 USD.

Status
Not open for further replies.