Status
Not open for further replies.

TechnoDave

From www.al.com

Single 911 call center for Jeffco in works
Thursday, January 11, 2007
HANNAH WOLFSON
News staff writer
Jefferson County, Birmingham and 13 other cities are moving to consolidate their 911 emergency dispatching services into a single call center, possibly by year's end, organizers say.

The county, the cities and the Center Point Fire District support the plan and others are interested. It would relocate dispatchers to the former Federal Reserve Building on Interstate 459 at Liberty Park.

Participation is voluntary and no commitments have been made, but the idea could save cities millions, said Mountain Brook Mayor Terry Oden, who is helping lead the project.

"It's going to happen," Oden said. "We're moving forward."

The aim is to improve service and increase efficiency, according to one Jefferson County official

"We'd all have the same software and hardware, we'd all have the same tracking system, we'd have all the same radio system," said Billy Morace, director of general services for the county. "I'm not necessarily saying it's going to be cheaper, but if for the same money you get better service, that's worth it."

Communities in Alabama and across the country are consolidating dispatch.

"What they are talking about is the way it should be done," said John Ellison, director of Shelby County 911, which handles fire and rescue dispatch for the entire county and calls for the sheriff's department and the Vincent and Harpersville police departments. "It's the way people are doing it around the country."

An operational committee working to determine how the dispatch operation would function has met with Ellison and plans to visit examples in Washington state and Louisiana.

Under a full-scale consolidation, municipalities would share everything, from computers to the dispatchers themselves, who would then put out calls to local police and fire departments.

Independence and sharing:

Under a co-location - which some of those involved in the local initiative favor - participants would retain independent dispatchers, but move them to a shared site with common equipment and some shared staff, such as information technology experts or call takers.

A co-location would reduce overhead but allow cities to maintain their own standards of service. That way, a Mountain Brook dispatcher familiar with that city's geography would continue to handle Mountain Brook calls while a Gardendale dispatcher could handle those from Gardendale.

At the same time, even co-location would require some kind of standardization, such as the choice of computer software and radio codes, said Vestavia Hills Fire Chief Butch Zaragoza, chairman of the operations committee. That could move the county's multitude of cities toward more cooperation in the future, from sharing police information to answering each other's fire calls on municipal borders.

The county's Emergency Management Agency command center may also move to join the dispatch center, said Oden, who chairs the EMA.

Oden said the 911 group is negotiating for a long-term lease in the basement of the former Federal Reserve Bank, which he said is a perfect location, with fortress-like walls and a backup power supply.

Organizers say either model would relieve some of the burden of staffing that smaller cities face. For example, Tarrant Mayor Loxcil Tuck said the half-dozen dispatchers who handle her city's police and fire calls are stretched thin, sometimes requiring overtime to cover for vacation and sick days. In a shared center, there would be a larger pool to pull from.

"It's hard to schedule when you don't have enough dispatchers, and dispatch is so important," Tuck said. On the other hand, she said, the city will still need someone at the police station to answer non-emergency calls and take on other non-911 duties the dispatchers handle.

Potential savings:

Some participants figure the plan will save them money. For instance, Oden said Mountain Brook is due for an equipment upgrade that could cost $1 million. Vestavia Hills expects to spend $500,000 to $700,000 on new equipment, Zaragoza said.

Jefferson County is currently figuring out how much it will cost to replace its equipment, some of which is 12 years old, Morace said. He said Bessemer and Hueytown are also holding off on buying new equipment in anticipation of consolidation.

Joining forces would make it easier to apply for federal Homeland Security grants, participants said.

The many volunteer fire departments and fire districts the county dispatches for will also likely be included. So far Hoover, which is working on a new $2 million dispatch center of its own, has opted out. Organizers say they'll leave space even after startup for late joiners.

"We realize this is not going to be for everybody," Zaragoza said. "Hopefully if they don't join in initially, if they see how it operates they'll want to join in."

E-mail: hwolfson@bhamnews.com

claybarnes

Would they still be using the digital system they are using now? My thoughts on the consolidation is this. Birmingham, Jeffco dispatching the smaller cities calls. Big plus. The other way around? Uh, I don't think so. I am anxious to hear if our new digital scanners will be operable.

morganAL

Co-location is good but it also has its own set of problems. For instance, you have dispatchers sitting only a few feet apart and they can be paid vastly different amounts. Here in Morgan County we have a somewhat centalized system. Decatur PD, Decatur Fire, Trinity PD, Priceville PD, Volunteer Fire, the Rescue Squad, & Decatur EMS (EMS has a dispatcher 8-5 M-F but 911 still dispatches them on all emergency calls) are all dispatched from the 911 Center (Central Dispatch). The Sheriff's dispatchers were also located at the 911 Center until the County built a new jail and then the Sheriff moved his dispatchers to the new jail. The Central Dispatch dispatchers and Sheriff's dispatchers use the same CAD system so it is still easy to pass info back and forth but there is mucho animosity between the Sheriff's dispatchers and the dispatchers at Central Dispatch. Hartselle PD has their own dispatch operation located in their jail and use their own CAD system. They seem to want to be loners in everything they do. In act, they have even stopped using their VHF system and have moved all of their dispatch to Southern Linc. In my opinion this is a bad idea and an officer safety issue. Just my 3 cents (adjusted for inflation) worth.

EMS-1

They already cannot get any help to "No Man's Land" in rural jefferson county now (the many and vastly populated areas that have No Fire/EMS Dept's)...How in the world are they going to when the multi-jurisdiction facility gets up and running?. This county needs to get off it's butt and consolidate more resources and interoperability so that persons living in "No Man's Land" have adequate Fire and EMS Response so that a scenario as of lately is not repeated. (example) This really happened. There was a structure fire in a residence near the warrior river and the JCSO Dispatcher asked her cars for a Fire Dept. that would respond. Their reply was to try various nearby areas. When contacted the Fire Departments all replied that it was in "No Man's Land" which was out of their district and they could not respond. Which is valid. To say the least a great time passed before a Fire Department contacted finally responded and it was Brookwood Volunteer F.D. from Brookwood in Tuscaloosa County which is over 20 miles and minutes away. Upon arrival of course the home was lost and the surrounding woods ablaze. My point is that a new multimilliondollar 911 facility with all the services combined still is not going to help the citizens of "No Man's Land" where an Ambulance is 50 minutes to over an hour away provided they don't get lost and No Fire Protection nearby. Until this county gets moving to help provide more services and resources to the citizens (especially the ones living in "No Man's Land") to go along with the new dispatch facility it will be as usless as a screen door on a submarine.

claybarnes

I read the story wrong. I thought the quote said Mt. Brook could dispatch Gardendale calls and vice versa. After reading the story again twice I think its a terrible idea, and I agree 100% with Carl. Besides, where I live they just spent 250K on a digital upgrade, and they dispatch out of their own jail. I can't see them doing this. I would still like to have my question answered. Will the system be digital non-encrypted?

TechnoDave

Clay, to answer your question, they will probably all jump aboard the Jefferson county digital, non encrypted system.

Im at work right now and can't get my thoughts together enough to further comment on this because Im kinda busy.... however, I will comment further, later.

claybarnes

Thanks Dave. I'm looking forward to Dave's comments, and quite frankly which ever way he leans toward it is the way I'm going to go. Why you might ask? The answer is quite simple. I have no allegiance toward Dave or anyone else. I've never met him, I'm not at all trying to score any"brownie points" because he has nothing I need. I will take his side for one simple reason. The guy knows his stuff. He has been in the biz a long time, and has seen it all. There are guys like him, Sam at Jeffco and Barry at Gardendale just to name a few. Then there are those who have no business talking on the phone, much less takink life and death calls. I have not dispatched in several years, and my experience is limited at best. So, I will boil it down to this. I'm going to follow the lead of the Men and Women who have been doing this a long time. Peolple who have hung with it even while working holidays, low pay, and gripes from the public and many other reasons that space does not allow. I think it's past time we listen to THEM instead of the politictians who have nothing but perhaps selfish interets at heart. Keep up the good work people. Those of us who listen say "THANKS"!

dave911

Premium Subscriber
I've been hearing about this project for some time and have been greatly looking forward to it BUT if they don't hire COMPETITENT personnel, they might as well leave things like they are. If the plan is to take the dispatchers from all these cities and put them in one room, forget it. You'll have the same problems in a new expensive building.

You get what you pay for. If you aren't going to pay people enough to make a living as a dispatcher, you can not get the best available. Also, supervisors need to be less afraid of putting unqualified people on the road... right Dave? You know what I'm talking about. It blows my mind when I see people taken in off the street and put behind a mic without attending classes and being certified.

I know exactly where you're coming from, too, Carl. I heard Minor dispatched to a house fire that wasn't in their district. Dispatch told them to cancel. After they figured out where it was almost an hour later, North Smithfield was dispatched and the house was on the ground. ( pics ) There is something to be said for being familiar with the territory you are responsible for.

Overall, I think the idea is great. My worry is with who will be implementing it. If they want it done right, they BETTER have John Ellison at Shelby 911 involved as a consultant.

TechnoDave

morganAL said:
For instance, you have dispatchers sitting only a few feet apart and they can be paid vastly different amounts.

First to this point. With the exception of Birmingham PD calltakers, our salaries are all on the same scale. Because we are all part of the Jefferson County Personnel Board, all but Bham Calltakers are classified as Public Safety Dispatcher II. The only reason one person may be making more than the other is because of time on the job. Currently, Bham Calltakers, classified as Public Safety Dispatcher I, are paid 5% less than the radio dispatchers. There is talk that they will all be made II's. Which is only right, although they will never talk on the radio.

Carl said:
My point is that a new multimilliondollar 911 facility with all the services combined still is not going to help the citizens of "No Man's Land" where an Ambulance is 50 minutes to over an hour away provided they don't get lost and No Fire Protection nearby.

I have no knowledge as to whether or not this is under discussion at this point. You make a very valid argument.

claybarnes said:
I read the story wrong. I thought the quote said Mt. Brook could dispatch Gardendale calls and vice versa.
No, we will not become a "metropolitan" police department such as those I am somewhat familiar with in Tennesee.

dave911 said:
Overall, I think the idea is great. My worry is with who will be implementing it. If they want it done right, they BETTER have John Ellison at Shelby 911 involved as a consultant.
John did an excellent job of putting Shelby 911 in the works. He knows his stuff. I think however most of his department is EMS related. He is a former officer if I am not mistaken so maybe he will be able to put some insight on the operation.

So, my thoughts. There are a lot of questions. If this center is built, will it be supervised by civilian "managers", or will Birmingham supervisors supervise Bham dispatchers/ Gardendale supervisors supervise G'dale dispatchers, etc etc etc. If this is the case, you will simply have mass confusion. I say that because, for example, (I think this is the way it will work) when the 911 phone rings it is answered by the first available calltaker, whether that calltaker is working for bham, g'dale,warrior, whatever. With that in mind, Birmingham for example pretty much dispatches on ANYTHING if a citizen request to see the police. G'dale might not go out on a call if the little ol lady wants an officer because she has a bird in the house. "We dont do that maam". There will HAVE to be universal rules and regulations that apply to EVERYONE THERE.
While I really like most of the Sworn police sgt's and Lt that I work with in the dungeon, I personally believe we should have a civilian manager. But, we should still be protected by the Jefferson County Personnel Board. This civilian manager should be hired OUTSIDE of any department, so they do not bring "their" rules and regulations into the place. Dave911, I believe that will ... or at least may... help in weeding out uncompetent dispatchers.

Now, for the plus side. Response times to mutual aid assistance in police situations will decrease. We will be on the same CAD system, so if Jefferson County S.O. (for example) has a 10-33 or 10-00, they can send an emergency message to all departments immediately instead of having to call each one on the telephone. BOLO's can be sent quicker to multiple agencies for "just occurred" crimes.

I think all in all it will be a great operation IF and ONLY IF, it is run correctly. If it actually happens before I retire in 20 years, I know with a large degree of certainty there will be bugs to be worked out in the beginning. Dispatchers will clash, calltakers will clash with citizens who call from areas unfamiliar to the calltaker...(Example, a Bham calltaker is NOT going to know where 'annies fine gifts' in Kimberly is, WE NEED AN ADDRESS)

So, as I said, if done right, it will work and will work well after the bugs are fixed.

Now, my final comment: NOTHING goes fast, especially with the City of Birmingham. The article said "Before the end of the year"... but they did not say WHICH year. I do not see this happening in 2007 and probably not in 2008 either. If it does, I will be overwhelmingly suprised.

dave911

Premium Subscriber
BHAMDISPATCHER said:
John did an excellent job of putting Shelby 911 in the works. He knows his stuff. I think however most of his department is EMS related. He is a former officer if I am not mistaken so maybe he will be able to put some insight on the operation.

So, as I said, if done right, it will work and will work well after the bugs are fixed.

Well said, Dave.

You're right, John was an officer. I'm pretty sure he was with Alabaster. (I'm 95% sure that's right. Alabaster or Pelham) It's been so long. When I worked at Shelby 911, he was the President of NENA (National Emergency Number Association) as well as the Alabama Chapter of NENA. Highly intelligent and respected person in his field.

ctrabs74

Most of the counties in Pennsylvania have a centralized dispatch center for PD/FD/EMS. In a few cases, such as Montgomery County, there are several self-dispatched PDs, but almost all agencies operate on the county's TRS. In Bucks, Lancaster, Lebanon, and Monroe Counties, all public safety services are dispatched by the PSAP AND operate on the same radio system (conventional or TRS).

Most of the other counties are the same way, however, with one or two exceptions (ie. a couple departments still stubborn enough to dispatch on its own system). Now, in Pa., every square mile of land is in an incorporated municipality (township, borough, city, etc.) within a county, so we don't have any of those pesky "unincorporated" portions of counties up here.

Still, I would think that once a county-wide dispatch center is established, all employees would be paid by the county's EMA as opposed to the individual cities, with the funding coming from the respective cities and that salaries would become standardized as a result.

TechnoDave

Creighton,
I thought about that. Doesnt it seem like the budget to run the center would be MUCH MUCH more if all the money collected for 911 was sent directly to one agency? I won't get into specific accusations here.... but it sure does seem like with all the business lines, residential lines, and cellphones all paying into the 911 system on their phone bill, we, as the largest city, should not want for anything.
Alabama law states monies collected for 911 are to be used for 911 PSAPS ONLY... and thats all Im gonna say.

smithw14

What a very progressive idea, if implemented correctly. Great discussion - enjoyed reading everyones thoughts. Bham news editorial column in today's paper on this topic.

TechnoDave

Here is the story from the editorial page from www.al.com
I do not know who authored it, it does not say.
dave

Much better service, and cheaper, too
Monday, January 15, 2007
THE ISSUE: It may sound too good to be true, but intergovernmental cooperation can get it done.

Improved service at a cheaper price? That's a promise heard more often than realized because, generally, we get what we pay for.

In this area, though, there are plenty of opportunities to improve government services and spend less money. The dozens of local governments in Jefferson County duplicate many programs that could be combined if leaders were less concerned about control and more concerned about delivering quality services at a more reasonable cost.

The latest example of a move toward intergovernmental cooperation may be realized later this year when Jefferson County, Birmingham and 13 other cities in the county consolidate 911 emergency dispatching.

This makes a lot of sense. Having standardized training and a single location for 911 operators to work will immediately end some overhead costs for the cities involved, since each already maintains its own 911 call center.

While nothing is firm yet - the cities have only indicated an interest - the plan is to relocate dispatchers to the former Federal Reserve Building on Interstate 459 at Liberty Park.

The cities probably still would employ their own dispatchers, and at least in the beginning, that makes sense. A Birmingham dispatcher knows his city and can direct emergency responders to areas better than, say, a dispatcher from Vestavia Hills. But cooperation between dispatchers is important, too. Many cities share borders; having dispatchers sitting near each other who understand their emergency service providers and where cities touch borders may be invaluable in assuring timely responses.

While the plan might not save that much money for larger governments, it should especially benefit smaller cities that have fewer dispatchers. Being able to share workers will help those cities save the money they're having to pay now in overtime to cover for vacations and illnesses.

Many of the cities also are using old equipment and need to upgrade, which could cost millions of dollars. If the governments set up a central dispatch center, they'll have more clout collectively in bargaining for new equipment that all of them will use. Some of the officials encouraging the consolidation also believe it'll be easier to obtain federal Homeland Security grants once the central dispatch center is established.

Many communities across the country already have gotten together on this promising idea. Jefferson County should as well. Who knows? Maybe it will lead to intergovernmental cooperation in other areas.

We all know there's much too little of that now.

emcom

Huntsville has had a consolidated dispatch center since 1992. The 911 call takers work for the 911 board, while the 7 digit call takers and dispatchers work for their own agencies. In past years, each agency pitched in a 911 call taker and it worked pretty well....then in about 96 or so, the 911 board hired their own call takers and now the agaency personnel don't have to answer as many 911 calls as they used to.

Of course, we don't have huge amounts of money at our disposal, so we don't have a county wide radio system yet. We still have mix of 800, vhf, and uhf in place. However, if something needs to be relayed quick, they can just look across at the other agency and relay the info or send them an IM or copy them in on the call. It has worked fairly well.

SCPD

QRT
You want to see how central dispatch works if you can listen to Blount County,they have the most airheads you can ever imagine in your life, they forget to do a status check on you if you have a vehicle stopped,they get confused on the radio they will hold the mic down and you hear silence until they finally unkey,will tell you to stand by while you are attempting to stop a vehicle so they can run somebodys license meanwhile putting the officer in danger trying to make the stop in danger , some one constantly saying whewwwww!!! on the radio b/c of a dispatcher saying something stupid,and my personal favorite is when someone calls in a drunk driver it never fails the exacts words are always "there all over the roadway" and im believing to think you have to memorize that line to get a job,but grant you they have a few good ones that really know how to dispatch not some half trained monkey off the street

TechnoDave

Just a couple of comments on your comments....

"They forget to do a status check on you if you have a vehicle stopped"... I know where I work is MUCH busier than Blount County will ever be. But, when you have pending calls falling off the screen into your lap, doing a status check is probably not the first thing you think of. Matter of fact when I left a small dept and came here, I DID status checks on the officers... one such conversation went like this.

Dispatch: 434
Officer: 434 go ahead
Dispatch: 10-24 (situation under control) on your stop
Officer: 10-04 whatcha got
Dispatch: Nothing holding , just checking on you.
Officer: Aint that sweet. (sarcastically spoken)

You see... our officers like to stop the car, write the ticket, let the car go, ride around, get a cup of coffee, call their wife and their girlfriend, and THEN get back in service off their stop. Checking on them is a inconvenience to them.

"Telling an officer to stand by while he's trying to stop a car"
It is actually a SHOCK to officers, but dispatchers do more than just sit there waiting for an officer to call. We might be on the phone calling the medics for the officer that just requested them.... but officer #2 didn't hear that because he doesnt listen. We could be over at the fax machine sending another department a warrant confirmation and not have our pen in our hand to take your "oh so important" traffic stop information.

As you can tell, I am NOT a fan of traffic stops especially when the officer is getting out of calls for service while trying to make his monthly report look good by writing 400 tickets. (no they do have quota's but they do have expectations)

BUT, on the flip side of all of this..... If the officer is stopping a stolen vehicle, or if the plate comes back to someone wanted, then yes, I will hold the radio for him and I will do a status check. No, I don't always know who's wanted and who is not, I don't know if the man he is stopping is wanted for capital murder of 17 people. So before everybody gets on that bandwagon to flame me, I already know this.
Dispatchers as well as officers have gut instincts. We trust those instincts, and apply them when they present themselves.

Sorry, didnt mean to hijack my own thread.

SCPD

QRT
well when they conviently forget you are out there is a differnt story bham dispatcher and things like like and you hear everything thats going on on the channel and nothing is happening I guess thats ok too according to you all police just screw off all the time but never mind you are entitled to your opion to defend them I was once a dispatcher too been there and done that but that beside the point they just act unprefessional at times alot of the time but that ok to

Status
Not open for further replies.