% Coverage question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
I'm somewhat interested in what type(s) of coverage I could expect if I were to take and follow the following itineraries:

A: I leave Denver via I-25 and proceed up the interstate to Casper where I then turn W on 20/26 to Shoshoni where I then pick up 26/789 to 134 to 133 getting back onto 26 between Kinnear & Morton and head up to Dubois ad then finally over Togwotee pass into Jackson Hole. On my return trip back down to Colorado I then leave Jackson Hole via 191 through Hoback Junction, Bondurant, then on 189 through Big Piney, La Barge, and then onto 372 to I-80 and through Rock Springs. From there it would basically be a shot E on I-80 through Rawlins, Laramie, and down 287 back down into Colorado and back home outside Platteville, CO.

B: The `To Jackson Hole' portion of the trip would only change in the first part where instead of going through Casper ETC. I would head up 287 to Laramie, grab I-80 over to Rawlins then turn north (Getting back on 287) and hang a left at Muddy Gap to eventually go through Lander and Fort Washakie to eventually get onto 26/287 just a bit WWNW of Morton and end up repeating the Dubois/Togwotee run. Returning I come back down through the canyon, Hoback Junct, Bondurant, and at the Daniel `junction' I head E to Pinedale to take 191 down to Farson where I end up on 28 headed up over South Pass to catch 287 and turn S to make the run back down to Rawlins, I-80, Laramie, and again 287 back home to Platteville.

How much Analog and how much Digital would I be listening to on those `excursions'?

For those who may be wondering about those two routes... They both are routes that I would love to take my wife and children on to show them *some* of the various areas I used to `hang out' in when I was growing up in Wyoming. The main reason I would be hitting the Jackson Hole are twice is that we used to have a small ranch up the Pacific Creek Road where, in the Spring/Summer/and Fall we pastured around 50 head Black Angus on leased land. We also owned, and my Aunt and Uncle ran, a motel, The Branding Iron Motel, in Dubois where, whenever a youth with maybe too much time on his hands needed something to take up some of that time could find things to do to soak up some of that time. {GRIN!} (During the late Fall/Winter/and early Spring we lived down in Casper where my father had a thriving medical practice and where I, supposedly, went to school. {CHUCKLE!}) In those times during the Spring/Summer/andFall when I wasn't needed at either the place up on Pacific Creek or the Motel, *especially* after age 13 when I had gotten my DL, I would take off and explore all up and down the West to Southwest corner of the state, (I'd love to take my family for a `dedicated' trip through the Star Valley area. And... There would be another `dedicated' trip around the Thermopolis/Worland/Greybull/Lovell/Powell/Cody/Meeteetse `loop', too.)

Now... This doesn't mean that I left out the rest of the state back then. Far from it as I both got around to seeing pretty much all of it either on my own or acting as either co-driver or co-pilot for my father when he went out on the twice year `Cripple Children Clinics' he had started and participated in until his retirement. I expect that once we can finally get the farm down here in Colorado sold and such we will find ourselves some decent property somewhere around the Wheatland area where we can try and raise the best danged Alfalfa in the state, provide leased pasture land, and maybe even raise a few head of Black Angus along with possibly getting into `dealing in' Appaloosas and Shires. (Both of our children want a horse of their own and I'd like a, at least, 2 horse hitch of my own. {VB GRIN!}) Whilst it might sound like the new place might keep us pretty busy I know that one can always find *some* time to get out and `explore' because I've already done, at least once if not several times, it. {CHORTLE!}

Oh, yeah... I *haven't* `forgotten' Jellystone... err... Yellowstone! GTNP *and* Yellowstone are both places where the best times to visit are when they are not engulfed/flooded with tourists or other `furiners'. Both places are best appreciated either *just before/after* opening or *just before/after* closing. Either way there are plenty of `services' available and as long as one doesn't either place any `demands' upon the personel or need all the so-called `amenities' the `masses' seem to think they `need', or `deserve', they are both "a little bit of heaven on earth".

I apologize for the long epistle but, I figure that I kinda had to explain the `why' of why I am asking questions about how things are coming along `radio reception-wise' up that way *in* the way I've asked.

tbiggums

I last travelled from Colorado to Wyoming in early September when I went to Glendo. At that time, the only Wyolink use I heard was in Laramie County. Everything in Platte County (WHP, state park rangers, and the county sheriff) was still on the analog conventional channels, even though all of Wyolink sites in the area were on the air.

trains91

Wyolink and analog coverage

As far as east and south of Casper and along I-80 - Wyolink is active
West of Casper (Lander, Riverton, Ft Washakie, Dubois - everything is still analog (for now). I have talked to the Highway Patrol and Wyolink use for the state agaencies around Riverton/Lander is coming soon. Fremont County SO is also set to go to Wyolink, but hasn't yet. Riverton PD is (and will remain) analog.
One note for Casper - EMS and fire are 800 Mhz digital, but Casper police and Natrona County SO are digital encrypted.
It's been a few months, but when I was last by Jackson, they were all analog as well.
Hope this helps

Kyle

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
Thanks

Thanks guys! I'm waiting for the big wall map I ordered to arrive and I intend to mount it so that I can use `push-pins' and `note-strips' to try and keep up on this type of info so that when we can finally get the time later on this year to get back up into Wyoming I'll have a lot of info on who and what I can have loaded for monitoring. I *really* want to see WyoLink really take off. (I'm getting quite tired ofthe `Borg like" attitudes some other states are copping. {GRIMACE!})

I'll also probably clean up my opening MS and start another thread that I can occasionally `bump' to try and keep more info coming in and together. (Yeah, I know that one can occasinally check up on the DataBase but, `on the ground' reports/descriptions can sometimes be a lot more helpful, and a lot more descriptive. {VB GRIN!} In a way it is akin to the difference between a report that the Mills town cop was replaced VS `Flashlight Freddy' `got it in the shorts'/`was given the boot'. {CHORTLE!})

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.