Cross Band Repeater Using Alinco Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
I Need cable(s) and/or a kit or wiring diagram to build Cross band repeater to interconnect 2 Alinco radios by using their 9 Pin serial female DB 9 port on the back of an Alinco 235 and 635 (Using one band on the 635) for 220 MHz to 440 MHz.

Tried searching the internet on this, but information is so fluid and changes. You'll find something and if you don't print or save it, it can disappear in a few hours to a few days or weeks. Also need info if I need other cables to connect their microphones and external speaker jacks to preform this process.

If any one can help or point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

Max:cool:

cabletech

The manual for those radios will give your the pin out for the DB9 which was setup to be used for packet.

This may not work in a repeater mode.

If you do not have the manual go here and down load it: Alinco Information Index

This site has a lot of good information on doing this type of thing.

nd5y

You can't make a repeater out of those radios with just a cable.
You need a PTT keying circuit. You may not be able to feed the rx audio straight to the tx audio input of the other radio without having a pot to adjust the level.
I used to have a DR-235 with a homebrew PTT/audio PC interface that I used on EchoLink for a while. It has all the necessasry lines on the packet connector. You don't need to use the speaker or mic jacks. I assume the 635 is the same way but not sure. The 235 was good for that but you can't make a repeater with only a cable.

Last edited:

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
A solution?

I do have a Rigblaster No MIc and Echo Station software. Most likely I can achieve a cross band repeater this way. I was just following up on something I read but can no longer find about using the DB 9 port.

Thanks All
Max :cool:,

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

I do have a Rigblaster No MIc and Echo Station software. Most likely I can achieve a cross band repeater this way. I was just following up on something I read but can no longer find about using the DB 9 port.

Thanks All

Max :cool:,

While it may be a pain to try and home. Brew an interface, if you drop a controller in, then you can have control of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Crossband Repeater

Sure a controller would work. Trying to keep $ down.
Too bad there are no 440/220 dual band mobile radios with xband repeat. (Kenwood had a good thing going years ago with their tri-bander, but $$ talks and lack of sales walk. The market will not support it. TYT has come the closest with a 220/440 portable but reviews on this unit simply said "suck" plus no xband repeat. There are Chinese cheap cables and controller box out there that allow you to connect two radios portable or mobile to preform this function. See LINK. But the jury is still out on their reliability...

Max:cool:

dksac2

Look on E Bay, Puxing now has a duel band repeat hand held for $70.00 shipped. I know someone who has one and they seem to do the job. 5 Watts on 2M, 4 Watts on 70 CM. Not the band you are looking for, but if a 2M/70 CM handheld will do the trick, it's cheap and it works. I doubt you'll ever see a 220 duel band repeat radio.

73's John KF7VXA

Status
Not open for further replies.