Crossing Over

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
So much rumor and gossip regarding scanner radios receiving unwarranted attention at airports and customs and cruise ships, etc. In the last 2 months I have visited 4 Caribbean ports, 5 airports, and US Customs in Miami with scanners and 2m HTs in tow and nary a question about them. We just crossed the Canadian border and the officer just admired my radios and said, "Nice!" and tipped his hat for us to move. Very friendly folks so far. He just took one step up into rv and removed his sunglasses. That was the inspection? Reminds me of the agriculture inspections at the California border. Ah, the battle of the Fruit Fly. Wave us on through, say hi to the nice German Shepherd. Do not pick up any hitchhikers. We are having a grand time. Making 2m contacts by the book. Really liking my Yaesu FT2-DR for 2m/440 coms on this trip. Really getting out to the repeaters with just the factory duckie, I am impressed with this little HT. The SDS scanners are fantastic performers. Everything going okay, now to a good lake for the weekend for some bass fishing and bike riding. I have reservations! lol We left nothing to chance on this trip :)

JD
kf4anc

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
So much rumor and gossip regarding scanner radios receiving unwarranted attention at airports and customs and cruise ships, etc. In the last 2 months I have visited 4 Caribbean ports, 5 airports, and US Customs in Miami with scanners and 2m HTs in tow and nary a question about them. We just crossed the Canadian border and the officer just admired my radios and said, "Nice!" and tipped his hat for us to move. Very friendly folks so far. He just took one step up into rv and removed his sunglasses. That was the inspection? Reminds me of the agriculture inspections at the California border. Ah, the battle of the Fruit Fly. Wave us on through, say hi to the nice German Shepherd. Do not pick up any hitchhikers. We are having a grand time. Making 2m contacts by the book. Really liking my Yaesu FT2-DR for 2m/440 coms on this trip. Really getting out to the repeaters with just the factory duckie, I am impressed with this little HT. The SDS scanners are fantastic performers. Everything going okay, now to a good lake for the weekend for some bass fishing and bike riding. I have reservations! lol We left nothing to chance on this trip :)

JD
kf4anc

Where did you cross the border at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ecps92

As to the Rumor/Gossip for Cruise Ships, no one has mentioned it being Customs or Federal Agents, this has always been the Cruiseline Security and/or the Local LE following up on Security. Federal Agents have never questioned or blinked twice, even TSA unless the see too any electronics and want to SWAB or make me turn them on

JD
kf4anc

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
This hadn't occurred to me, but I'm taking a road trip to Seattle (from Calgary) in August with a 536 on my dash. Last time I did this trip I had a 436 which was much less conspicuous. I wonder if I should temporarily remove it before I hit the border.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Oops, read title "crossing over" and thought someone had passed away. Glad to see everyone is still alive. Keep up the good work.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Nope, no bass fishing on this trip, but the cutthroats and rainbows are waiting on us @ Lion's Bay on 99. When I think fishing I think bass, what can I say my favorite place to fish is the swamp. Love me some largemouth bass and mudcats, crawfish and bluepoint crabs. I had a place outside Morgan City, LA, directly on (over) Bayou Black just off Zimmer Road in the Atchafalaya wetlands. Fishing paradise right off my boat dock. Crabbing and mudbugging, too. Good eating right there, I don't care who ya are. That be some kinda good yeah ;)

<<I cross the border with antennas all over vehicle as well as scanner in plain view, It has never rated a second look.>>

Nope, everybody everywhere we have been so far have been very casual, not giving my antennas a second look at all. I have passed I don't know how many troopers, rangers, state police, local cops and border patrol and I have not been stopped or questioned or even looked at in most cases. They've got more interesting things to do than talk to boring old Americans in a Winnebago with lots of antennas. lol

Kinda cloudy and cool, think it could rain. I'm going to wet a line anyway, see what happens. 73s

JD
kf4anc

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Nope, everybody everywhere we have been so far have been very casual, not giving my antennas a second look at all. I have passed I don't know how many troopers, rangers, state police, local cops and border patrol and I have not been stopped or questioned or even looked at in most cases. They've got more interesting things to do than talk to boring old Americans in a Winnebago with lots of antennas. lol

Kinda cloudy and cool, think it could rain. I'm going to wet a line anyway, see what happens. 73s

JD
kf4anc

I don't think you'll have any issues with antennas or radios. It's pretty common in the rural parts of both countries. I've crossed the US/Canadian border many times and always had radios in my truck, never a problem. They don't care.

As for issues crossing the borders,
I've never had any issues crossing from the USA into Canada, usually a 45 second encounter at the most.

Let us know how crossing back into the USA goes. I don't suspect you'll have much of a challenge going into Alaska, but running from Canada back into the lower 48 can often be a challenge. That's where I've usually run into issues. My wife's aunt, a Canadian citizen, came down to visit us a few weeks ago. They no longer bring their cell phones with them since they have been required in the past to turn them on, unlock them and let the US Customs people search their phones. Not cool for a 70 year old lady.

Status
Not open for further replies.