CSP going TOTALLY ENCRYPTED???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portable14

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I heard straight from a trooper tonight that CSP is going totally encrypted for all talkgroups. He couldn't tell me when, But just that it would happen, He also mentioned switching over to a "new system", Can anyone shed some light as to what may be happening with the CSP radio system in the near and/or distant future???

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
There's been talk about that for a while but nothing firm. The "new system" I believe is a reference to them switching over to 700 mhz when it becomes available. Again, all this may take place but it will be a long while in my opinion. If and when they switch over to 700 mhz, THEN maybe the full encryption will take place.

Manny

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
guess this is the wave of the future. why buy a new 996 or 396 like i did if you're not going to be able to use it. glad i still have a bunch of my old radios. guess they'll still work for the most part. and to think i bought the other ones primarily to listen to csp. i remember missing listening to troop i on 42.48 when they first switched. first the 250d, then the 296 and finally the 396 (which i must say i actually like the best out of all 3) on the plus side when bpt fire goes digital, at least i'll be able to hear them, although, given the fact of issues with digital, i hope they'll be able to hear themselves.
joe

cg

Premium Subscriber
The majority of the CSP radios did not have the encryption capability when they were purchased. As far as I have heard, when the radios were all reprogrammed last year, they were not upgraded with the encryption capability. The templates for reprogramming indicated whether or not the radio was encrypted. Very few of the IDs read off included the encryption descriptors.

Unless someone can predict the future, there is no way for certain to be able to tell what will happen. It is unlikely that the budgets will allow for another huge investment in the system in the next few years. Most new radios can have some basic encryption capability with only a flash upgrade and some can even be done over the air.

The average trooper (like most radio users) probably does not know much about the radios beyond what they use every day (on/off, channels, answer ICALL, etc).

chris

Portable14

Banned
Well, That makes me feel a little bit better, Knowing that the average troop's channel will not be encrypted anytime soon, If ever at all.

Mork

Premium Subscriber
How long did it take?

How long did they have the VHF low band radios? 40 years? NCC Takes 20 minutes to register a radio in a new car, I doubt we'll see much encrypted any too soon. :)

dkostrey

Probably won't happen until they move to the 700mHz band, which can't happen until after TV moves next Feb. If they include encription in the move ...? We'll just have to wait and see.

awasser1

Premium Subscriber
Encypytion

I did hear radio repair cts installing a bunch of new radios in the past few weeks and everyone except one I heard testing said it had encryption capability. I am sure some day someone will figure out how to crack that also....

800crazy1

doubt it !! its illegal , the technoligy is way to sophisticated . not a scanner manufacturer out there even going to attempt that one .

cg

Premium Subscriber
All those new radios were DMV radios. They will likely have an encrypted TG.

chris

Portable14

Banned
cg said:
All those new radios were DMV radios. They will likely have an encrypted TG.

chris

I put the the three DMV talk-groups in my 396T and have only heard activity on talk-group 48368. I also have 48400 which is listed as DMV channel 2, No activity on this one as of yet. I also have 48432 which is listed as DMV secure, Not a peep of activity on that one either. Be advised that all this monitoring has only been done from Troop E's control channel (868.3375MHz).

GKENY044

Portable14 said:
I put the the three DMV talk-groups in my 396T and have only heard activity on talk-group 48368. I also have 48400 which is listed as DMV channel 2, No activity on this one as of yet. I also have 48432 which is listed as DMV secure, Not a peep of activity on that one either. Be advised that all this monitoring has only been done from Troop E's control channel (868.3375MHz).

I monitored DMV on the 48368 today on one of Troop H's CC. nothing on the others

Cskib32087

They are planing on putting 700Mhz channels into the system in the next few years. For that they will need all new radios. With Motorola selling ADP encryption for $10 per radio I would say that everything they order will have ADP in as they will get it for less than that buying so many radios.
Encryption now? No
2 or 3 years YES

cg

Premium Subscriber
I seriously doubt that the State will fund a full replacement of the radios within the next few years. The feds could help with a grant but the relatively new system should not be any kind of priority for funding.
I would look at them replacing some radios every year as can be put in the regular budget and then down the road go for a lump. Thats my guess.

chris

Portable14

Banned
Cskib32087 said:
They are planing on putting 700Mhz channels into the system in the next few years. For that they will need all new radios. With Motorola selling ADP encryption for $10 per radio I would say that everything they order will have ADP in as they will get it for less than that buying so many radios.
Encryption now? No
2 or 3 years YES

Question number one......So the system would be both 700 & 800MHz?

Question number two......What is ADP encryption and how does it work?

Dave520

Premium Subscriber
I believe ADP encryption will only work on conventional channels and not on trunking. Full encryption would require a more expensive option in all the radios that need it.

Cskib32087

Yes the system would run 700 & 800 channels

ADP encryption is Motorola proprietary low level encryption, Basically its an anti scanner encryption. While relatively weak when compared to DES or AES, ADP does offer significant security benefits for those users needing a less secure and/or very less expensive alternative for encryption. ADP is available as a firmware (DSP) based flash option or as hardware (UCM based) option. When a radio is equipped with ADP as a flash option, the encryption key is loaded via Customer Programming Software (CPS). Once keys are entered into the CPS, they are not visible when the code plug is read for review – ensuring that if a radio is lost or stolen, the encryption key cannot be decoded just by a review of the radio code plug. When hardware based, it is loaded with a KVL3000+ key loader.
Software Advanced Digital Privacy (ADP) software-based encryption algorithm. This software-based encryption solution provides a basic level of Encryption over the network, enabling agencies to keep unauthorized listeners from monitoring conversations without incurring the additional setup time and component cost of the more robust hardware encryption options

Status
Not open for further replies.