CSP programming help for 796D

Status
Not open for further replies.

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
Programming from database

I am trying to use the database for the first time to reprogram my 796D with the Connecticut state police. I retrieved the data and selected what I wanted but when I hit import I get a message of " multiple sites selected for same system. Select only one site and try again."

I don't know a thing about trunk channels or how to program digital. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kevin

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This isn't a database issue, more of a software question, which is where this should go. First off, what software are you using? I suspect either ARC250 or ProScan...Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
Ok found out what I was doing wrong and was able to get them in but I still don't hear anything.I have already updated the firmware for the narrow banding.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I will go to the CT site. I don't see how to pick just one site. Thanks though.

In the ProScan RR Import screen, Click the box on the left side of the system to expand it. Click the box on the left side of the site node(labeled "FRQ"). Un-check all the site nodes except the one to import.

Importing more then one site involves:
1. Check the site node(labeled "FRQ") to import.
2. Check the TGID nodes to import.
3. Choose the starting channel.
4. Click the Import button.
5. Repeat for each site.

cg

Premium Subscriber
do a search in the CT forum for how to program a rebanded system. It has been discussed several times I believe.

chris

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
dispatcher812, it is against the rules to cross-post threads on this site. I've merged your Database forum thread (a forum which is for questions about the database) with this one.

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
dispatcher812, it is against the rules to cross-post threads on this site. I've merged your Database forum thread (a forum which is for questions about the database) with this one.

Thank you, it was suggested I try a different forum so I did so.

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
do a search in the CT forum for how to program a rebanded system. It has been discussed several times I believe.

chris

Chris, I have done quite a bit of reading on the re-banding and reprogramming but I still don't understand it. On the way to work today my scanner could not find 2 control channels,( not sure what ones, could not write them down). I also put in Waterford fire and PD thinking it looks like, to me anyway, a simpler system but I don't here them either.

cg

Premium Subscriber
I do not use the import function as there is always more that I want to program in.
But if you take a system and import it, you can troubleshoot it.
Before anything else, ensure that you are using the latest Proscan version and ensure that you have updated the Firmware to 3.60
BC796DFirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki
First, on the individual system tab, verify that the frequencies are correct. Then be sure that the Trunk box to the right is checked.
Next go to the Trunk Bank Settings. You need to choose Motorola Type 2 Custom. Enter in the correct band plan (see the link for Uniden above). Also be sure to check the Control Channel box for control channel only trunking.
Save the file then program it in and see if you hear anything.

chris

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
Next go to the Trunk Bank Settings. You need to choose Motorola Type 2 Custom. Enter in the correct band plan (see the link for Uniden above). Also be sure to check the Control Channel box for control channel only trunking.
Save the file then program it in and see if you hear anything.

chris

How do I know what the plan is? Do I need to go change it for EVERY digital system I put in? IE CSP and Waterford?

cg

Premium Subscriber
You need to go to the link I posted and READ the web page. It tells you what the custom plan for a rebanded system is.
CSP yes, Waterford, no.
Rebanded Motorola Trunked systems except for P25 system need a custom band plan.
The radio only holds 10 systems, it's not much work.

chris

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
You need to go to the link I posted and READ the web page. It tells you what the custom plan for a rebanded system is.
CSP yes, Waterford, no.
Rebanded Motorola Trunked systems except for P25 system need a custom band plan.
The radio only holds 10 systems, it's not much work.

chris

Chris, I did read the page, several times in fact and even tried to do what it says but I still don't get it. I was able to upgrade the firmware but everything else is still confusing. Its one reason why I never tried until now. Maybe its time to give up on digital, sell the scanner and cancel my subscription to radio reference. Its just not worth it. Kevin

cg

Premium Subscriber
OK, don't throw your stuff away quite yet.
I will give you the steps to program it by hand (its very easy)
I believe you can add the talkgroups only later by import. Since I don't know where you are, I will use the Troop C&K frequencies as an example. You can change them as you type to whatever zone you need. You can use the shortcut numbers or go up/down with the arrows on hold/limit then enter.
MENU
choose the target bank, and hit enter
1 (Trunk Type)
1 (on)
0 (type 2 custom)
Choose BASE CONFIG 1
ENTER
ENTER
25.0 (default)
ENTER
440 (offset number)
ENTER
+ (polarity) (default)
ENTER
(It then shows BASE CONFIG 2)
ENTER
ENTER
ENTER
25.0 (default)
ENTER
0 (default)
ENTER
+ (default)
ENTER
That is the custom bandplan finished. Now you go back (hit MENU 3 times I think) to program the frequencies in.
2 (TRUNK CHANNEL)
101 (this is whatever channel number you want it in. For the example, I picked bank 2, Ch 101)
ENTER
1 (frequency)
853.9125 (primary control channel)
ENTER
ENTER (you can edit alpha tags later, just hit ENTER again to make this blank)
ENTER
MENU (once, we want to see the choice of 1. Frequency, 2. Step)
2 (step)
you want AUTO or 12.5 (I mention this because you may have old data in here from a previous use)

Thats it.
Hit SCAN and then, because you don't have talkgroups programmed in, hit SEARCH to go from TG scanning to TG searching.

I would suggest once you hear traffic and can follow a TG, you read the radio with the software and save it.

chris

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
^ Thanks, Chris. I will give it a shot. I could just go to J and S radio in Willimantic and have them do it but there are more talk groups here then what they program (I Believe). Plus there there are other areas where I travel that use digital and would love to be able to hear. Kevin

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
OK, don't throw your stuff away quite yet.
I will give you the steps to program it by hand (its very easy)
I believe you can add the talkgroups only later by import. Since I don't know where you are, I will use the Troop C&K frequencies as an example. You can change them as you type to whatever zone you need. You can use the shortcut numbers or go up/down with the arrows on hold/limit then enter.
MENU
choose the target bank, and hit enter
1 (Trunk Type)
1 (on)
0 (type 2 custom)
Choose BASE CONFIG 1
ENTER
ENTER
25.0 (default)
ENTER
440 (offset number)
ENTER
+ (polarity) (default)
ENTER
(It then shows BASE CONFIG 2)
ENTER
ENTER
ENTER
25.0 (default)
ENTER
0 (default)
ENTER
+ (default)
ENTER
That is the custom bandplan finished. Now you go back (hit MENU 3 times I think) to program the frequencies in.
2 (TRUNK CHANNEL)
101 (this is whatever channel number you want it in. For the example, I picked bank 2, Ch 101)
ENTER
1 (frequency)
853.9125 (primary control channel)
ENTER
ENTER (you can edit alpha tags later, just hit ENTER again to make this blank)
ENTER
MENU (once, we want to see the choice of 1. Frequency, 2. Step)
2 (step)
you want AUTO or 12.5 (I mention this because you may have old data in here from a previous use)

Thats it.
Hit SCAN and then, because you don't have talkgroups programmed in, hit SEARCH to go from TG scanning to TG searching.

I would suggest once you hear traffic and can follow a TG, you read the radio with the software and save it.

chris

Chris,

Well it has been 2 months since you gave me these instructions. I was able to follow them fine and reprogrammed the scanner. I was able to go in and program the control channel, alternate channel and the others in the database for troop E. I was also able to go and add the two talk groups. Still nothing. What plan number should it be set at? According to my manual there are 4, Plan 1 Plan 2 etc and then off. Also per my manual there is a volume for APCO? Do I need to do that? Thanks for your help, Kevin

cg

Premium Subscriber
Plan is set to OFF.
I can't remember if I ever set any APCO volume so i wouldn't worry about it.
If you go to the active control channel, do you hear the control channel noise?
Do you see anything that would indicate it is working or not working? When you hear the data channel noise, you should see a "M" just before the channel number. When scanning, it should say
ID SCAN (or SEARCH)
853.3375 NFM
LIST 1234567890

chris

Status
Not open for further replies.