Ct state police phase 1 or 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Right now CSP uses the system with phase 1 talkgroups. However, the system is phase 2 and I wouldn't buy anything but a phase 2 scanner if you are looking. At some point I would expect everything to be phase 2.

chris

KD1SN

Premium Subscriber
Right now I am having issues with 2 identical Uniden BCD996XT scanners regarding the CT State Police. A couple weeks ago I downloaded the new frequencies, etc, from Radio Reference, put them into one of the scanners that I use at a base location and the State now comes in fine. It took that long because the State Police and other associated departments were not high on my priority list.

I then took the identical scanner out of my car a couple days later and did the exact same programming, but this time I had no luck with receiving the CT State Police. I've also tried downloading the data from the base scanner and uploading it to the mobile, and STILL nothing. I checked the scanner settings and both are set up identically. I used the same antenna as well. This is just another one of those WTF issues that seems to always happen to me. Has anybody else had this issue with the new setup for CT State Police?

Bob1955

Right now I am having issues with 2 identical Uniden BCD996XT scanners regarding the CT State Police. A couple weeks ago I downloaded the new frequencies, etc, from Radio Reference, put them into one of the scanners that I use at a base location and the State now comes in fine. It took that long because the State Police and other associated departments were not high on my priority list.

I then took the identical scanner out of my car a couple days later and did the exact same programming, but this time I had no luck with receiving the CT State Police. I've also tried downloading the data from the base scanner and uploading it to the mobile, and STILL nothing. I checked the scanner settings and both are set up identically. I used the same antenna as well. This is just another one of those WTF issues that seems to always happen to me. Has anybody else had this issue with the new setup for CT State Police?
KD1SN, reach out to Doctordialtone here OR send him a private message. He's a great guy with a lot of knowledge and lives in CT too.

Has anybody else had this issue with the new setup for CT State Police?
No.

I monitor CSP simultaneously on a 996XT and 325P2. (Same programming file)

The 996XT misses few transmissions.

I'd suspect your location, the antenna then the scanner.

What town are you in?

matt04

Premium Subscriber
As others have said, currently the CSP is mostly Phase 1, however local agencies that join the state system (Groton, Rockey Hill, etc.) seem to be all Phase 2. I would expect CSP to eventually become Phase 2, however I supect they still have cars with old radios that still need to be upgraded.

ORCTOW

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know what the best antenna to use to monitor CSP is. I have two locations both with BCD996p2 s. At my shop I have a yagi for 700 band, and at my house I have a old beat discone. Thought the yagi would’ve worked better. Not the case

at my house I have a old beat discone.
I use a Discone with good results.

I think it will depend upon where you live relative to the individual sites.

A Yagi may be too directional to cover all the sites you'd want to hear to provide good coverage.

awasser1

Premium Subscriber
Have any fire depts gone to the State system. Just off memory I think they have all been Police so far. But my memory in old age could be wrong!

WoodburyMan

As others have said, currently the CSP is mostly Phase 1, however local agencies that join the state system (Groton, Rockey Hill, etc.) seem to be all Phase 2. I would expect CSP to eventually become Phase 2, however I supect they still have cars with old radios that still need to be upgraded.
A good chunk of the CT Transit Talk Groups are also TDMA Phase 2.
Not sure if they will all go TDMA. Some people complain of TDMA losing voice quality. Police will be the first to complain if they did as clarity is very important for their communication. Also, with some sites having 12+ frequencies..which is overkill.... TDMA could double that-ish (Some are TDMA now so say 20 "slots"). Still overkill.
Here's a screenshot of Site I and Site A simulcast right now. One TG active LOL. I see two often... three on rare occasions... almost never 4 in use at once.

cg

Premium Subscriber
I have seen Hartford light up a dozen talkgroups at once so imagine them, New Britain, buses, CSP, and a couple other municipalities on the system on a stormy weekday. 22 slots can go fairly quickly. Right now, Troop H Site does not have any private calls except Troop to mobile/portables. If that capability is added, 12 frequencies may not be enough.

chris

KD1SN

Premium Subscriber
No.

I monitor CSP simultaneously on a 996XT and 325P2. (Same programming file)

The 996XT misses few transmissions.

I'd suspect your location, the antenna then the scanner.

What town are you in?
I live in Southington. I've programmed both scanners using the same PC. When testing afterwards, I used the same outdoor antenna for both scanners. I haven't put the mobile scanner back in my car yet because I'm still pounding my head against the wall trying to figure out what the problem is. Both scanners had no problem with CSP with the old system. Both have the same firmware versions. I've been going back and forth repeatedly checking side by side for anything in the setup for the data entered or the scanner setups that may be different. I cannot find anything, yet the base scanner picks up CSP without a problem. The one used as my mobile, hooked up to the same base antenna, gets nothing with the new CSP data entered.

cg

Premium Subscriber
It is very likely something simple. How is the 996 reception on any other P25 700/800 system? Have you tried a search with control channel only turned on? If you use ProScan, I can take a look at the file.

chris

KD1SN

Premium Subscriber
It is very likely something simple. How is the 996 reception on any other P25 700/800 system? Have you tried a search with control channel only turned on? If you use ProScan, I can take a look at the file.

chris
I just installed ProScan and have saved both scanners databases. I don't listen to other P25 systems since most of them seem to be encrypted. And I've never done a search with control channel only. Thanks for the offer, Chris and I will send along both database files (PM) for ProScan. I appreciate you being willing to look at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.