Customs Boarder Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Picking up NLECC NET1 165.2375 C100.00. Picking up one of their pilots doing a extended search for someone.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Picked up CBP DTAC 1 165.2375 few units headed to Orlando.

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
Picked up CBP DTAC 1 165.2375 few units headed to Orlando.

This is interesting since there is no digital repeater infrastructure for CBP in Florida (yet). So you are right on the money with it being DTAC 1 and not DNET1. Thanks for the report.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
This is interesting since there is no digital repeater infrastructure for CBP in Florida (yet). So you are right on the money with it being DTAC 1 and not DNET1. Thanks for the report.

Your welcome this past week CBP has been busy especially the air pilots as well.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

ecps92

There was a DNET 01 Report from Orlando back in October of 2012

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
There was a DNET 01 Report from Orlando back in October of 2012

There is not DNET1 in that area. Keep in mind that the CBP NLECC is located in Orlando. That is not only the dispatch center, but also the home of their techs. They test a lot of technology there. Maybe that 2012 report may have been testing on a DNET1 frequency.

ecps92

Yes - I am aware of NLECC having been there (more than once)

If I recall (memory/notes vague) it was traffic for an active op

Still very suprised FL CBP is behing the rest of the country in the move to P25
On the rare occassion in New England an analog radio escapes and is used :roll:

There is not DNET1 in that area. Keep in mind that the CBP NLECC is located in Orlando. That is not only the dispatch center, but also the home of their techs. They test a lot of technology there. Maybe that 2012 report may have been testing on a DNET1 frequency.

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
Yes - I am aware of NLECC having been there (more than once)

If I recall (memory/notes vague) it was traffic for an active op

Still very suprised FL CBP is behing the rest of the country in the move to P25
On the rare occassion in New England an analog radio escapes and is used :roll:

Hmmm, maybe we've crossed paths at the NLECC and didn't even know it! :lol:

The fact that you say it was an active op makes it that much more interesting. I wonder if that op was on simplex instead of a repeater (similar to what N4CYA mentioned in post 2)? Maybe an airborne asset using their platform as a temp repeater (that's being done down here but on analog)?

FL CBP is currently working on the P25 phase and a completion target date has been set. Lots of changes will occur when the digital switch happens.

I agree, Florida is way behind in the digital transition. We still have other federal agencies on analog with no immediate plans to switch to P25. Dunno!

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Hmmm, maybe we've crossed paths at the NLECC and didn't even know it! :lol:

The fact that you say it was an active op makes it that much more interesting. I wonder if that op was on simplex instead of a repeater (similar to what N4CYA mentioned in post 2)? Maybe an airborne asset using their platform as a temp repeater (that's being done down here but on analog)?

FL CBP is currently working on the P25 phase and a completion target date has been set. Lots of changes will occur when the digital switch happens.

I agree, Florida is way behind in the digital transition. We still have other federal agencies on analog with no immediate plans to switch to P25. Dunno!

I wonder if their P25 system is going to be encrypted for what they deal with?

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if their P25 system is going to be encrypted for what they deal with?

I would venture to guess that yes ;), it will have encryption capabilities and probably be used a lot more often than they do now. While they have encryption capabilities with the current analog system, it is not used as often as it should. I think it is mostly because of the sound quality degradation, espicially in weak signal areas.

Last edited:

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I'm going to venture to guess CBP will run encryption based on what other areas of the country have done after the upgrade to P25. One of the reasons encryption was not utilized for analog is because the range and quality of the transmission using DES-XL is severely reduced. Most are now using DES-OFB and the AES 256 keys without degragation. In the northeast after the upgrade, I know the ICE radios run permanent encryption and the user cannot take it off.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Maybe I should have been more specific...encryption can be taken off certain channels, such as the CBP DNETs/DTACs, etc. However, the channels primarily used by ICE/HSI cannot. The radios are set to encryption permanently and that was programmed that way on purpose. Keys are also changed every month via OTAR.

ecps92

Guess it must be a NY/NJ thing. Unless my Santa added something to my Scanner

Maybe I should have been more specific...encryption can be taken off certain channels, such as the CBP DNETs/DTACs, etc. However, the channels primarily used by ICE/HSI cannot. The radios are set to encryption permanently and that was programmed that way on purpose. Keys are also changed every month via OTAR.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
About 10:22am this morning heard one of the Air Pilots headed to Orlando for a check be back in a couple of hours. This was heard on CBP - DTAC1 channel the air pilot wasn't using encryption when conversation to who ever he was talking to that was using encryption.

radiomanNJ1

And you wonder why they will be using encryption? Look at your posts.

Lets see posting information for ongoing operations could that have anything to do with it?

BTW whom ever sent the first post, It's border patrol. While they do take in boarders for the grey bar hotel.

Status
Not open for further replies.