D Star anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevolene

anyone have any experience with this mode of ham radio? I recently bought a radio that is dstar capable, been reading forums and the more I read the more I'm confused , seemed like a neat way to talk and listen over the 2 meter and 23 centimeter bands over long distances with clear reception, apparently its not quite so easy

CommJunkie

There's definitely a learning curve. Programming is easier when you do it by software rather than by hand for sure.

Before I bought my radio, I watched this youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIKyqNMAcgY) from 2013 Dayton Hamvention. It's a little long and boring, but there is some really good information in it.

I added D-STAR to my cache 5 years ago, and enjoy it. Linking to Reflectors or other repeaters is somewhat similar to IRLP. I found the big thing in the learning curve, both as student and instructor, was not to "read into it". Take the provided data at face value. Make it fun! Adding DMR next.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
D-star has practically died in my area. There still seems to be some interest, but in the area of transmitting data vs voice. And as with any digital mode, there is more to getting on the air than with analog. Reading the various threads here will help as most of this has been discussed before.

KE5MC

Following along with the comment about programing software, look for the DStar Calculator function in the programing software. In the calculator you can pick and choose what you want and then it formats the information and places it in the proper column.

You have a chance to change one item and see how it effects what is programed into the radio. That is a great learning tool for me when sitting at the 'puter. Once I get it all programed up and hold the HT in my hand I look at the screen and say "what do I do now..." :D
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.