Database update

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
Ok when I go to the weekly update on my 436HP for the master database. It seems to download it. but after a few minutes it stops and this displayed

"Update full database failed.
Operation cancelled
The underlying connection was closed. An expected error on receive."

Now the question is there a problem within the senitnel software or is it in the radio itself.

Please help

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Start Sentinel, go to the "Update" Tab (top row), drop down to Update Master HODB...

A Pop-up window is displayed showing the progress off the download. Upon completion you'll see a dialog box showing it has finished the download.

Then connect your scanner to your computer in the usual way. Click the Write to Scanner icon. (Or you can click the "Scanner" tab, drop down to "Write to Scanner"). Another window pops up. Check the "Force Write Full Database" box, then click OK. Another progress window is displayed. After the database is written to the scanner another dialog box pops up which says "Finished writing to scanner"

Don't be alarmed if the writing the database to the scanner seems to take much longer than uploading the database to your computer. Data flows much slower along the USB cable.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
I have followed that set of directions. It starrts to download the update and after a few minutes it quits and displays what was stated earlier in the thread.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I have followed that set of directions. It starrts to download the update and after a few minutes it quits and displays what was stated earlier in the thread.

Sentinel always downloads to the computer first, regardless if the scanner is connected or not.

Are you by any chance using a satellite service for your internet connection.... such as Hughes Net or any other?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber

Is it quiting when you are downloading the update to your computer, or when you are downloading the update from your scanner to your computer?

Before I made the post, I went through all of the steps to confirm what I was about to say worked. I too have AT&T internet service and the download time was less than two minutes.

Just for the heck of it, have you tried a computer computer shut-down and power-up?

AC0RV

Feed Provider
Its near the middle way of the bar.

I do not where the download from the site and the upload to the scanner begins.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Its near the middle way of the bar.

I do not where the download from the site and the upload to the scanner begins.

The download from the update site into Sentinel begins when you select "Update Master HPDB".

The upload from Sentinel to the scanner begins when you select "Write to Scanner"

JamesO

DSL service is notorious unstable.

Suggest you open a command prompt, start an extended Ping to a site that will consistently respond, then start the download and watch the extended ping and see if it starts dropping packets/timing out.

DocDaddy

Force Write Full Database...

Start Sentinel, go to the "Update" Tab (top row), drop down to Update Master HODB...

A Pop-up window is displayed showing the progress off the download. Upon completion you'll see a dialog box showing it has finished the download.

Then connect your scanner to your computer in the usual way. Click the Write to Scanner icon. (Or you can click the "Scanner" tab, drop down to "Write to Scanner"). Another window pops up. Check the "Force Write Full Database" box, then click OK. Another progress window is displayed. After the database is written to the scanner another dialog box pops up which says "Finished writing to scanner"

Don't be alarmed if the writing the database to the scanner seems to take much longer than uploading the database to your computer. Data flows much slower along the USB cable.

"Force Write Full Database"
Should this be done every update?
Please explain...

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
"Force Write Full Database"
Should this be done every update?
Please explain...

The "Force write full database" checkbox only needs to be checked if you are re-writing the database in the scanner with one from Sentinel that has the same date version as the one that was in the scanner... such as in an instance when the database in the scanner has become corrupted for some reason, and the current version in Sentinel is of the same date.

It doesn't hurt to check it every time, but in the normal course of updating the scanner with a newer version of the database from Sentinel, the database in the scanner will always be fully overwritten by default when using the "Write to Scanner" command.... without having to check that box.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.