Database update

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocDaddy

Thanks...

The "Force write full database" checkbox only needs to be checked if you are re-writing the database in the scanner with one from Sentinel that has the same date version as the one that was in the scanner... such as in an instance when the database in the scanner has become corrupted for some reason, and the current version in Sentinel is of the same date.

It doesn't hurt to check it every time, but in the normal course of updating the scanner with a newer version of the database from Sentinel, the database in the scanner will always be fully overwritten by default.

Thanks for your fast response and help.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
DSL service is notorious unstable.

Yes it is.

It is a known issue that satellite ISPs can be problematic with database updates because of the inherent latency with FTP database transfers via satellite... causing similar errors.

It's very possible that his DSL is doing the same thing.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I might have learned something new. I had been of the thought that the database in the scanner was updated when the "Force write full database" was checked, rather than it being done in some automatic fashion.

The reason why is that when uploading just the active profile and favorites lists, the write time to the scanner is about 8 seconds. However when I check the "Force" box and favorites lists, the write time is about 105 seconds.

JamesO

Yes it is.

It is a known issue that satellite ISPs can be problematic with database updates because of the inherent latency with FTP database transfers via satellite... causing similar errors.

It's very possible that his DSL is doing the same thing.

Satellite latency can even be worse when heavily over subscribed as well.

Sometimes the time of day may make a difference when using satellite, DSL or even poorly managed cable modem service.

Ping testing and speed testing can be a good way to benchmark a service to determine if the circuit is having problems moving traffic at different points during the day.

Another trick with DSL service that may be suffering performance issues due to line noise is to actually make and keep a phone call going while downloading attempts are being made.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I had been of the thought that the database in the scanner was updated when the "Force write full database" was checked, rather than it being done in some automatic fashion.

After you update the master database in Sentinel by using the "Update ---> Update Master HPDB" command, the database updates never make their way from Sentinel into the scanner automatically, even if the scanner is connected to Sentinel when you use that command.

You must always select the "Scanner ---> Write to Scanner" command afterwards. At that point, the "Force Write Full Database" checkbox applies as I posted above.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
Ok I have tried All that was suggested and no joy on downloading the update from the Uniden site its quitting middle way on the download from the site and not when I download to the scanner.

Please note I have deleted the senitnel program and reloaded it several times.

Thanks for all the Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.