Daviess County Officials Hear Options to Replace Communication System

dixie729

Premium Subscriber
Daviess Fiscal Court is ready to hire a firm to build the county’s multimillion-dollar upgrade to the radio system used by law enforcement, fire departments and emergency management.
When complete, the new system will allow every county agency, such as the volunteer fire departments, road department and animal control, their own radio channels, which is something the county doesn’t have currently on its antiquated radio system. The system will largely correct communications in the county caused by interference or terrain, and will merge with the system used inside Owensboro’s city limits.
On Tuesday, Aug. 18, county officials are expected to hire Motorola to build the digital radio system to replace the outdated VHF system the county has used for decades. Responders have said they have trouble communicating with the 911 dispatch center in the field when they are on portable radios. Also, atmospheric conditions interfere with transmissions.

An analysis of the current system found, among other things, that much of the equipment is either obsolete or no longer being serviced by the vendors who created it.
Jordan Johnson, purchasing agent for Fiscal Court, said Monday the award calls for Motorola to not exceed $6.009 million.

The county examined several options and consultants recommended the county go with a system that would use four sites and would share a “core” with the city’s digital system. The “core” is what connects an agency to dispatch.
The county will pay for the project.
“The city is not out anything,” by the county connecting with the city’s system, Johnson said. Motorola also provided a certified statement, saying the city’s communications system for police and fire departments would not be degraded by the county tying into the city’s “core.”
“Our utilization of the core will have no impact on the city’s functionality,” Johnson said.
The system will provide 98% radio coverage in the county for vehicle radios, along with 93.4% coverage for responders’ portable radios outdoors. Indoors, responders on portable radios can expect 86.5% radio coverage.
Johnson said portions of northeast Daviess County, which is not as densely populated as other areas and consists of farmland, is the area where there will be spots with limited coverage.

The sheriff’s office and fire department reviewed it, and they have no concerns,” Johnson said.

The system the county selected uses four tower sites. Building a fifth site would only increase indoor portable coverage to 90%, and would add almost $600,000 to the project, Johnson said.
Maj. Barry Smith, chief deputy for the sheriff’s office, said the new system will have “multiple channels we could utilize.” Currently, the sheriff’s department has two channels, the county fire department has a channel and there is a “joint ops” channel that agencies can use to talk to one another, although that channel has limitations in the current VHF system.
Agencies will be able to set up “talk group” channels for special events, such as a channel just for security working the ROMP fest or an event at the courthouse, Smith said.
“There is an advantage now and an advantage as we grow,” Smith said.

If the county grows and more communications channels are needed, the county will “already have the infrastructure” for more channels, Smith said.
City-county 911 Director Paul Nave said communication between agencies with the VHF system has been an issue, even when the units trying to communicate are on the same street. The new system will eliminate those issues, he said.
“It’s going to make a huge difference” in agency communications, Nave said, adding that having a system multiple agencies can use that can also create specific talk groups “is priceless.”
“It’s a win-win all the way around, not just for law enforcement but for fire, EMA, animal control …” Nave said. “All government agencies are going to benefit.”
Johnson said the plan is for Motorola to begin purchasing equipment when the agreement is finalized.
Actual work will likely begin in October or November, he said.

red8

I can't hardly wait to see what "they" say is going to happen.
I remember when the East Baton Rouge Sheriffs Office moved from their 39 MHZ, VHF low band system to the 800 Mhz highland system back in 1989. I was a deputy assigned to work with the techs from Motorola, we were told,"NO MORE DEADSPOTS".
Wrong there were still deadspots around LSU
Especially inside Tiger stadium. Plus a bad spot around the Sheriff's station on Airline Hwy. They had to tie in on BRPD's system. In 9ther words I know what you are talking about.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Still confused. Are they using the City's Core and system and deploying there own sites or are they using a new different P25 system.

red8

Still confused. Are they using the City's Core and system and deploying there own sites or are they using a new different P25 system.

They are the 700-800 Mhz, LWIN system they share with BRPD,Louisiana State Police, and a few other agencies in the state. It is a phase 1 P25 system.

kib669

Yes, looks like they are using the city's core, so their sites will be additions to the current system. I think they are doing this for 2 reasons:
1) Cost since a core is a few million bucks and this route only requires some software licenses for each new site added to the current system
2) Console interface is also easy as they don't have to change any hardware from what they have already. Otherwise, they would have to work additional hardware and/or software licenses to access a second core.

So will be the same P25 system with additional site. They can manage/restrict what talk groups can go to sites to control loading.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Yes, looks like they are using the city's core, so their sites will be additions to the current system. I think they are doing this for 2 reasons:
1) Cost since a core is a few million bucks and this route only requires some software licenses for each new site added to the current system
2) Console interface is also easy as they don't have to change any hardware from what they have already. Otherwise, they would have to work additional hardware and/or software licenses to access a second core.

So will be the same P25 system with additional site. They can manage/restrict what talk groups can go to sites to control loading.
Great. Glad they are going the cost effective route.

dakota91

While listening to the wildcard setting on my Unication while monitoring the Owensboro city trunked system, I heard the Sheriff’s radio transmission on trunk group #3201. I was monitoring their VHF frequency (155.31 MHz) on my scanner and heard the same traffic on both systems. I guess Motorola for now is simulcasting their VHF traffic on their new trunk group. I also heard the simulcast transmission of the County Fire dispatch VHF frequency (155.895 MHz) on trunk group #3001. Everything was in the clear, but who knows if it will remain that way once they go live in November. I also don't get the beeps on the trunk group that is common on their VHF frequencies at the beginning of their transmissions. For now they're operating on Phase 1 since I was able to also pick them up on my scanner, which lacks Phase II capabilities. Then again, they probably don't have any of their new towers operating yet and are still using their old VHF mobile and portable radios. It will be interesting to see if they continue to broadcast from the Owensboro city tower using Phase 1 (I hope so since I don't want to have to replace my scanner) after their system goes live..

Last edited:

RIVER_5

ÆS LØVER
Everything was in the clear, but who knows if it will remain that way once they go live in November.
Last I checked they requested AES capable radio's and consoles with the bid for the county but didn't plan on running encryption on any Dispatch channels.

dakota91

Sounds like Owensboro City/Daviess County dispatch is also upgrading their CAD system and will be going live with it next month. I'm curious to see if voice dispatching will be reduced or eliminated with this new system. Their current method is to dispatch using voice, but to immediately send the call information via CAD to the officer's NVT. It should be live on Nov 16th.

dakota91

According to the article in the newspaper today, the "live" date of the new system is now projected to occur in mid-summer. Although I'm sure the contract wouldn't allow it, it would be nice if they could start using the new system once the south and east towers are operational since even just having two towers would still be far better than what they're using today. If it were up to me to decide, I would issue portable radios to the deputies and all fire departments in the east and south sides of the county and let them "test" the system during the course of their normal activities with only two towers available . Since they simulcast their VHF frequencies on the new system, they would have both the old and new radio systems in their vehicles so they wouldn't miss any calls.

dwh367

I'm a local taxpayer and if it were up to me I would have either went digital VHF or constructed an analog simulcast VHF system on their current frequencies. There's not enough traffic on the county frequencies to warrant this system.

alky1234

Ø
Feed Provider
I'm a local taxpayer and if it were up to me I would have either went digital VHF or constructed an analog simulcast VHF system on their current frequencies. There's not enough traffic on the county frequencies to warrant this system.

This system gets the county into the future. There are several advantages, like using Critical Connect (ISSI) to link in other trunking systems (future KSP, Indiana Safe-T, Owensboro, etc.)

Analog Simulcast would be going backwards. Why invest in old tech? Digital VHF? Doesn't do much good when several large mutual aid agencies are on 800 and creates additional interoperability struggles.

900mhz

VHF and portable coverage leaves a lot to be desired inside buildings unless you plan on adding more infrastructure.

dakota91

Dwh367 was actually on to something. Post 16 KSP covers six local counties and they do so with only 7 towers using a digital UHF system. Although their units do go digital sometimes, the vast majority of the time their communications are crystal clear. I'm actually surprised that a UHF system has that kind of range. Could Daviess County have gone with a similar system with just a couple of towers in the county, yes they probably could have. Of course, KSP uses only two frequencies (B channel and A channel), neither of which has a lot of radio traffic. Some troopers also have VHF radios that allows them to talk on the local sheriff's frequencies since I sometimes hear them talking directly to Central or the deputies. For Daviess County to implement a similar system they would need multiple frequencies just as they do on VHF today. Of course, they could also just as easily have implemented a UHF trunked system, but the federal government is pushing everyone to 700/800 MHz systems where more frequencies are available without interfering with other nearby public safety organizations. The 800 MHz system they are implementing also gives them full interoperability with the City of Owensboro, and I assume it will also increase the coverage of the city units if they need to travel outside the city limits. KSP is also implementing a state-wide 700/800 MHz system, but it will be years before they get it fully built out. I think the idea behind the new trunked system is that allows for an unlimited number of trunk groups so DCSO will have multiple trunk groups for dispatch, info, car-to-car, TAC (encrypted), etc. It will also allow the county fire departments to have different response trunk groups. Right now they have a single frequency and whenever they have multiple simultaneous calls it gets confusing as to which units are on which call. Henderson County Fire uses a separate trunk group for each volunteer fire department and whenever they're dispatched, everyone responding to that call switches to the same response trunk group. DCSO will also gain the ability to have interoperability with Henderson SO even though Henderson Police and Sheriff use full-time encryption and County Fire will likely have interoperability with Henderson County fire units. Many counties in Kentucky, especially in the central and eastern parts of the state, have already made the switch to digital, although most of the smaller ones have implemented cheaper NEXEDGE systems using their existing VHF frequencies since they lack a lot of voice communications.