Davis county newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoodie1313

Hey guys. Newbie in Clearfield area. I have an Beufang that I've been listening to Boxelder co Law 155.595 for a month or two and I'm hooked. Looking to maybe pick up a Whistler 1040 scratch and dent.

I could really use some mentoring. I have no idea what I'm looking at.

Thanks in advance.

Hoodie1313

Mostly Law/Fire stuff. In Davis Co and Northern Utah but also I travel through Idaho and Wyo a lot. I also think it could be fun to listen to anything available from Hill AFB.

Mostly it's a case of "I don't know what I don't know." If I pick up a scanner, I know I still need to put something in it. I'm hoping to get some help with Utah file that someone is willing to share and / or help me understand the talk groups and setting things up.

I did see something about a Utah Scanner meet up but it doesn't look like it's been recently active.

Premium Subscriber
I guess it also depends on how deep your pockets are. A lot of the valley is using simulcast (Davis County included) and most scanners have a hard time with that.
The Uniden SDS100 handles it well... but comes with a hefty price tag as well ($650)

Now if youre not concerned with that, and mostly want HAFB, that Whistler 1040 would work for Hill, as they are using Project 25 Phase 1.

I have the Uniden SDS100 and use Uniden's free software called Sentinel. It makes life easy uploading info to the scanner.
Perhaps look at finding a used Uniden BCD436HP Ive heard that it handles the simulcast here in the valley well enough. It can use Uniden Sentinel software, and is a great scanner from what I understand. A higher price point than the Whistler you mentioned but I think it would work out better for you in the long run.

As for the Utah Scanner meet up... idk ... it seems like it didnt have much interest, as you noticed, not very active.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
Hoodie,

I live in the Ogden area and have done quite a bit of research on the Weber & Davis Simulcast. If you'd like you can pm me and I would be glad to share what I know.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
Your right...thanks a bunch!!

If there is any interest there are other ways to communicate.

kc7rhw

what ever scanner you pick up will need to pickup phase 1 of p25 and the phase 2 tdma as in about 2 years
will all be listing to phase 2 tdma that whistler 1040 may or may not handle p25 TDMA.
The
UCA WEB site told me that there quite a bit of new information about the change over to the new harris systems

N7YUO

Mostly Law/Fire stuff. In Davis Co and Northern Utah but also I travel through Idaho and Wyo a lot. I also think it could be fun to listen to anything available from Hill AFB.

Mostly it's a case of "I don't know what I don't know." If I pick up a scanner, I know I still need to put something in it. I'm hoping to get some help with Utah file that someone is willing to share and / or help me understand the talk groups and setting things up.

I did see something about a Utah Scanner meet up but it doesn't look like it's been recently active.

N7YUO

I use a Whistler 1040 and it works well (for now) and it is not expensive.
It works with p25 digital, so when I travel to Idaho, Wyoming, or any of our national parks, I get reception.
Hill AFB is also p25 digital.
If you get a 1040, I can program it for you with Win500.
you get:
Unified Police, Salt Lake City, Other Salt Lake cities, Davis County, Weber/Box Elder, Cache/Rich, Tooele/Summit, Utah County, Washington County, SE Utah, Idaho ICAWIN, Wyoming WYOLINK.
NOTE: Tooele & Summit are distant from each other, each with a small amount of talk groups.
So, as I travel along Interstate 80 from Wendover to Evanston, as one site goes out of range,
another site comes into range. Example: Wendover Peak, Delle, South Mtn., etc.

I realize you spoke about Hill AFB, but since I am employed there, I do not discuss their radio system on any public forum. I'm sure everyone here can understand.

Hoodie1313

Thanks! I'm not too concerned with having HAFB. I work there as well.

I would love some help. Could you walk me through programming from quarantine? :) send me a file maybe?

Is the win500 software free?

They have scatch and dent 1040s for $147 @ whistler.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
N7YUO....did you pm Hoodie over his last post? I have all Radio Shack equipment dating back for years. Been looking at Whistler
just waiting for the UCA to move forward a little more in their changeover before spending the big bucks.....LOL

I have WIN500 and have found it to be a good programming tool for my Pro-197's. It is not free however. Sorry Hoodie

Hoodie1313

My Whistler 1040 showed up today. Haven’t even opened the box yet.

Now to figure out programming...

N7YUO

Congratulations.
I know of five ways to program your WS1040:
1. Buy it pre-programmed for your area.
2. Buy the Win500 software and program it yourself. (maybe a day or two)
3. Have someone with Win500 upload a program to your WS1040. (30 seconds)
4. Have another person with a 1040, clone your scanner from theirs. (30 seconds)
5. Spend a week with the 1040 keypad and program it manually.

I can either clone your scanner, or make you a different program.
If you want to do that, then we would need to agree to meet at some public place.

If you want your own program, then we should discuss the details privately.
You will have to specify what channels you want, and what sites.
The topography of Davis County is such that full coverage is not possible
from a single site. Example: somewhere north of Fruit Heights, Davis Simul
is not receivable, you would need Francis Peak.

Status
Not open for further replies.