• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

DB 201

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8UU

Pilot of the Airwaves
Premium Subscriber
Can you still get NOS DB-201 folded monopole low band antennas anymore? I know they were discontinued several years ago but does anyone know if there are still some sitting around at a two way radio dealership or supplier warehouse, just waiting to be purchased?

merlin

The DB-201 is a series and covered many bands from lowland up through UHF.
My bad. I am old school when Decibel products made only one DB-201, the rest were station master. Low band was an open folded dipole array.

prcguy

Decibel Products always made the DB-201 in several bands and I have a VHF lo version in my garage somewhere with the tapered radials. I see used ones advertised for ridiculous prices these days for a simple folded ground plane. The StationMaster was developed by Celwave which was later bought by Phelps Dodge then after other buyouts and mergers and the Celwave name again it ended up as RFS and now the StationMaster and related series of antennas is made by Commander Technologies.

My bad. I am old school when Decibel products made only one DB-201, the rest were station master. Low band was an open folded dipole array.

merlin

Well, the new list has no DB-201, the rest hasn't changed much. DB-220 >420 is the open dipole including low VHF.
DB-201 was a fiberglass, like a small (5 foot) station master or super station master. All of those covered 136 to 470, the 201 could be had 400 to 512. I see even the naming conventions have changed. Yes, the letter designations were for the different frequency splits. Guess all this changed when Andrew took them over.
Odd post from repeater builder, although one could cut and increase frequencies with the aeroglass antennas, it is a lot of work. That diagram is really a very old antenna as in before my time, never seen one in person.
This is like the DB-220 to 420:

Attachments

• pict3.gif
    pict3.gif
    19.4 KB · Views: 30

merlin

This is like the giant version of the DB-201 I have. Had this one too.
Working on these is no easy thing >>
I see I could be wrong with this, the antenna I have May just be made by Motorola but a decibel label. constructed like decibel. A similar photo.

Attachments

• 21bxusriVWL._SL400_.jpg
    21bxusriVWL._SL400_.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 5

merlin

Now I got it, Phelps Dodge (now cell wave) made my small glass antenna, Why the Decibel label ??

prcguy

DB-201 is an aluminum 1/4 wave ground plane made by Decibel Products in several bands. http://www.repeater-builder.com/antenna/db/pdfs/db-201-assembly-and-install.pdf

The 5.25dBd gain Stationmaster by Phelps Dodge/Celwave/RFS/Commander Technologies is a short roughly 7ft tall fiberglass antenna in UHF. It was originally model PD-201 now its a CMD201 and it has a different model # in other frequency ranges. CMD 201 Omni Fiberglass Series|Commander Technologies

Well, the new list has no DB-201, the rest hasn't changed much. DB-220 >420 is the open dipole including low VHF.
DB-201 was a fiberglass, like a small (5 foot) station master or super station master. All of those covered 136 to 470, the 201 could be had 400 to 512. I see even the naming conventions have changed. Yes, the letter designations were for the different frequency splits. Guess all this changed when Andrew took them over.
Odd post from repeater builder, although one could cut and increase frequencies with the aeroglass antennas, it is a lot of work. That diagram is really a very old antenna as in before my time, never seen one in person.
This is like the DB-220 to 420:

prcguy

That is not a DB-201, its a Super StationMaster by Phelps Dodge/Celwave/RFS/Commander Technologies and probably a 455 series.

This is like the giant version of the DB-201 I have. Had this one too.
Working on these is no easy thing >>
I see I could be wrong with this, the antenna I have May just be made by Motorola but a decibel label. constructed like decibel. A similar photo.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
And yes, Kreco makes outstanding antennas. I have a Dis-Cone made by them and it has been through many hurricanes and still has all of its elements. My fall-arrest has gotten tangled in it during a climb and noting was damaged. I felt something tugging when I was climbing and noticed and had to untangle it to continue the climb. Very nice and built like a tank.

prcguy

Someday I'll post pictures of my Kreco collection, which includes several Discones, VHF and UHF ground planes in brass and aluminum, VHF lo and high band coaxials and several coaxial collinears. One of the Discones was made under a Harris contract and instead of the usual ceramic insulator its Rexolite and the entire antenna is black powder coated.

Who would collect antennas from an obscure company like Kreco? Must be a mental case.

And yes, Kreco makes outstanding antennas. I have a Dis-Cone made by them and it has been through many hurricanes and still has all of its elements. My fall-arrest has gotten tangled in it during a climb and noting was damaged. I felt something tugging when I was climbing and noticed and had to untangle it to continue the climb. Very nice and built like a tank.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
@prcguy It felt good to pay the ransom and free one of your many antenna prisoners. It enjoys visits outdoors now.

merlin

That is not a DB-201, its a Super StationMaster by Phelps Dodge/Celwave/RFS/Commander Technologies and probably a 455 series.
Mmm, Yea, I mentioned that. The point I was trying to make is this smaller UHF antenna I have is constructed Identical to the station master, and yea, I concluded it was made by Phelps dodge before all the takeovers.
PD-201 is likely the model, like the 1980 version. Someday I will dig it out, under 12 years and tons of junk.

Last edited:

merlin

Don't recall who made my discone, could even be Kreco. Like yours, it is built like a tank. The mast will fold before any wind damage to the antenna, then just put it back up.
My last super stationmaster bit the dust when the tower bracket failed. This was atop the Riviera Hotel in Vegas, came down butt first onto the sidewalk and telescoped all the elements. took 72 MPH wind to do that.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
We've had wind-speeds here at the house in excess of 130 MPH multiple times and the Kreco D-150 wasn't even phased. The elements are 3/8" solid aluminum rod.

Back to the original question though, if you have a metal supply near you, you can modify any DB201 to the band that you need. I have made VHF ones out of UHF models. The original elements are just aluminum tubing that is stepped down in size from the large main tubing to the solid 3/8" rod and the brazed/welded. It can be done and is not that bad, but it does require that you have the base of the antenna. You also need to cut the phasing harness for the band that you need. It is an odd electrical wavelength of 75 Ohm coax connected to the antenna and then terminated with your favorite RF connector to connect your 50 Ohm coax.

prcguy

Here is a Kreco version of the DB-201 but its pricy for a used antenna. This would work a little better than the DB Products since it has six ground radials instead of four. If it was half the price I would get it for my collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.