BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Deafness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

plaws

Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
1,724
Reaction score
52
Location
E Hawkesbury Twp, ON
I *may* have found my source of months of frustration. I think the receiver may be deaf. I programmed in 162.400, which is my local weather channel and even with the squelch zeroed .. shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh .... nothing.

This is after trying all the local trunked and conventional systems.

All this time I thought it was programming error ... but maybe not.

Anyone else have a radio that has gone deaf? Is this common?

OTOH, is it possible that the CPU is goofed up and not actually tuning the the RF section? I see that there is a 2+9+MANUAL (sorry, DEPT) master reset. I'll see if that does anything.


Edit: three-finger salute did nothing
 
Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Joined
Feb 24, 2001
Messages
0
Reaction score
116
Location
Virginia
you sure?

I *may* have found my source of months of frustration. I think the receiver may be deaf. I programmed in 162.400, which is my local weather channel and even with the squelch zeroed .. shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh .... nothing.

This is after trying all the local trunked and conventional systems.

All this time I thought it was programming error ... but maybe not.

Anyone else have a radio that has gone deaf? Is this common?

OTOH, is it possible that the CPU is goofed up and not actually tuning the the RF section? I see that there is a 2+9+MANUAL (sorry, DEPT) master reset. I'll see if that does anything.


Sure the Attenuator isnt on?Have you tried another antenna?
 

plaws

Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
1,724
Reaction score
52
Location
E Hawkesbury Twp, ON
Sure the Attenuator isnt on?Have you tried another antenna?


First thing I checked, but it would have had to been some master attenuator for all possible modes since I did a quick entry of 162.400 and got nothing.

I can't recall if I sold the RS 800 MHz ant I had with my BCD396XT but I'll see if that's around. I think I have an HT antenna with an SMA if not.
 

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Joined
Sep 20, 2006
Messages
11,156
Reaction score
3,913
Location
S.E. Michigan
The supplied antenna for the BCD436HP is horrible for VHF. If I had to guess, it's optimized for the 850MHz band, as that is about 75% of the market's targeted use.

For VHF/UHF bands, try something like the Diamond SRH77CA.

Diamond RH77CA Amateur HT Antenna
 

plaws

Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
1,724
Reaction score
52
Location
E Hawkesbury Twp, ON
Well, I didn't sell it with the 'XT and swapping the stock antenna for the RS 800 unit made no difference whatsoever.

Any other reset tricks -- or keyboard tricks in general -- for the 'x36HPs? 2+9+DEPT didn't deleted my FLs and turned on the beep but not much else.
 

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Joined
Sep 20, 2006
Messages
11,156
Reaction score
3,913
Location
S.E. Michigan
Well, I didn't sell it with the 'XT and swapping the stock antenna for the RS 800 unit made no difference whatsoever.

Any other reset tricks -- or keyboard tricks in general -- for the 'x36HPs? 2+9+DEPT didn't deleted my FLs and turned on the beep but not much else.

Once again, just like the stock antenna, the RS 800 antenna is a very poor choice for VHF. It too is optimized for the 850MHz band.

Unfortunately there are no magic tricks to make the BCD436HP a good VHF receiver.
 

plaws

Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
1,724
Reaction score
52
Location
E Hawkesbury Twp, ON
Once again, just like the stock antenna, the RS 800 antenna is a very poor choice for VHF. It too is optimized for the 850MHz band.

Unfortunately there are no magic tricks to make the BCD436HP a good VHF receiver.

Too bad you posted before reading the thread. This is not an antenna problem.

The radio is deaf, not a poor performer. I have not yet dragged out an HT to see if it picks up *anything* like, say, a ham HT a foot away, but I'm guessing it won't. I'm less than 5 miles from one of the state trunking system transmitters that I got full strength on my 'XT.

My only thought short of mailing it to Uniden is that there is some CPU state that prevents it from actually tuning the receiver at all, which would explain it better than something being wrong with the RF section. I bought the radio several months ago and, honestly, I can't remember if I ever received anything on it. I take it to work and pull it out occasionally and set it on the local systems, but if I didn't hear anything, I probably chalked it up as a slow day.
 

Voyager

Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2002
Messages
12,058
Reaction score
53
I *may* have found my source of months of frustration. I think the receiver may be deaf. I programmed in 162.400, which is my local weather channel and even with the squelch zeroed .. shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh .... nothing.

This is after trying all the local trunked and conventional systems.

All this time I thought it was programming error ... but maybe not.

Anyone else have a radio that has gone deaf? Is this common?

OTOH, is it possible that the CPU is goofed up and not actually tuning the the RF section? I see that there is a 2+9+MANUAL (sorry, DEPT) master reset. I'll see if that does anything.


Edit: three-finger salute did nothing

Have you had it near any strong transmitters (such as an HT on your belt with the scanner beside it)?

Have you (or someone else) dropped it?
 

Boatanchor

Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2011
Messages
991
Reaction score
6
Have a look here:

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...st-had-come-out-eventually-5.html#post2264697

The BCD436HP does seem to have problems in the sensitivity department in certain areas.
The VHF high band is one of those areas, but it is not as bad as the 500Mhz band, where my radio didn't even meet Uniden's specified sensitivity figures.

The other problem is that even when the squelch is set to 2 (minimum closing setting), the scanner requires a relatively strong (almost fully quieting) signal to open it. I have a feeling Uniden adjusted the mute settings during one of the few firmware updates because of complaints about slow mute closing.

Regardless, my 396XT hears many more signals on these bands than the 436HP (with the stock and aftermarket antennas).
 

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Joined
Jul 18, 2014
Messages
13,409
Reaction score
3,729
Location
VA
Correction: YOUR BCD436HP has sensitivity issues. That is not the same thing as all BCD436HP having sensitivity issues. Not everyone is having such issues. The most likely issues are a nearby transmitter such as a cell tower overloading the OP's receiver and desensing it, or something broken if taking it to another location doesn't solve the problem.

I can receive 5 or 6 WX stations with my 436, so I doubt my radio has sensitivity issues,.
 

Boatanchor

Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2011
Messages
991
Reaction score
6
Correction: YOUR BCD436HP has sensitivity issues. That is not the same thing as all BCD436HP having sensitivity issues. Not everyone is having such issues. The most likely issues are a nearby transmitter such as a cell tower overloading the OP's receiver and desensing it, or something broken if taking it to another location doesn't solve the problem.

I can receive 5 or 6 WX stations with my 436, so I doubt my radio has sensitivity issues,.

Well, OK then.

My 436HP is relatively deaf on certain bands and my 436HP has a squelch that refuses to open until about -112dBm, even on the lowest setting.

And yes, just because my radio exhibits these qualities, does not mean they are all the same.

The other people experiencing sensitivity issues with the 436HP must have the same Friday afternoon build :)
 

plaws

Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
1,724
Reaction score
52
Location
E Hawkesbury Twp, ON
Have you had it near any strong transmitters (such as an HT on your belt with the scanner beside it)?

Have you (or someone else) dropped it?

I haven't worn a radio on my belt since I was a Paramedic many years ago! :) And I just went to test with my HT and the battery was dead. Even though I'm trustee of the local repeaters, I almost never get on so it's unlikely that it was a strong transmitter nearby. Not impossible but not likely.

Dropped it? I don't think so, but it rides in my knapsack so that's certainly possible ... but I've been carrying scanners in my knapsack since my BC3000XLT was new and have never had a problem. I'd hate to think it was that fra-gee-lay ...
 

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Joined
Jul 18, 2014
Messages
13,409
Reaction score
3,729
Location
VA
Repeaters aren't the only transmitters that can can cause desense. Cell towers, TV tower, trunked system transmitter broadcasting continuously on control channel can all cause issues if too close. Go on a road trip while scanning the WX channels, and see if the scanner is always deaf, or only in certain areas.
 

plaws

Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
1,724
Reaction score
52
Location
E Hawkesbury Twp, ON
Regardless, my 396XT hears many more signals on these bands than the 436HP (with the stock and aftermarket antennas).

Thanks, BA. This is more than just a few dB of deafness, I'm afraid. We may have a snow day tomorrow and if we do, I'll be calling Uniden.

I happen to have a Pro-652 that I'm programming for a friend (I should charge for this - it's like the 3rd or 4th time ...) and it has no problems receiving whatever -- NWS, the trunk system 3.5 miles away ...
 

W6KRU

Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2008
Messages
3,462
Reaction score
86
Location
Vista, CA
Thanks, BA. This is more than just a few dB of deafness, I'm afraid. We may have a snow day tomorrow and if we do, I'll be calling Uniden.

I suspect that will be a frustrating call. If you can't get a meaningful answer here, you're not going to get one from the Uniden service reps. All they can tell you is to send it in.
 

plaws

Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
1,724
Reaction score
52
Location
E Hawkesbury Twp, ON
I suspect that will be a frustrating call. If you can't get a meaningful answer here, you're not going to get one from the Uniden service reps. All they can tell you is to send it in.

That's what I'm expecting so I won't be surprised. :)

BA - I also saw the stuff about the squelch so before someone says "you know, the squelch is dodgy" I tried to receive the NWS with the squelch at zero.

I was an early adopter with the BDC396T and '396XT and didn't regret the purchases. The BCD436HP? Not so much. :-(

OTOH, this Pro-652 is kind of interesting. The only (non-xtal) RS scanner I've ever had was a Pro-2050 ... which was a Uniden so this 652 is a whole 'nother thing.

*Almost* makes me want to see what their (well, Whistler's) handhelds are like.
 

plaws

Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
1,724
Reaction score
52
Location
E Hawkesbury Twp, ON
Try rolling the firmware back to 1.02.03 Index of /files/firmwares
if that flops send it back for repair

Mine never had that but with the uSD card issues I've had, I've reloaded whatever is current (1.03?) at least once.

*After* I got home from the USPS I thought about exactly that, though: I should have tried reloading the firmware. The radio did all the logic stuff fine, just no RF ... as if the CPU was running the code but was not taking to the RF section and telling it where to tune.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top