decoding fire tone outs

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevelton

I had some software on my computer that was a really basic frequency counter, but now I dont know what happened to it, and cant find the link to where I downloaded it from in the first place. Does anyone have a link to some freeware software that can decode fire tone audio frequencies?

I have davee scanrec and have been recording FTO's and am wanting to creat a database for southern IL.
I have looked at the comtekk software, but if there is freewave out there, Id rather go that route.

Thanks.
Steven

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure if this one the one you are talking about. I do have a counter. Here is a zip file for the counter

Last edited:

stevelton

Well I downloaded that zip file, but tried to run it and it didnt do anything.
Steven

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
do you have a cable run from your line in to your line out on your sound card? I used a cable from radio shack that has male plugs on each end. Forgot to state that when I posted the file.

stevelton

yes I have the cable.

what I was saying before is that when I click to install and run the software, nothing happens, though if might be my comp, as I just tried to extract and rub some other software and nothing happened there either
Steven

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
move the timer to 0.2 leave the trigger alone. I used this many of times but its close the numbers might be off depends how clear it is and or crappy it is. I do not know if there is another one out there I've looked couldn't find freeware I found this on here years back.

btritch

Ok, So if you're department tones out on a scanner as a single tone and on a pager as a double two tone pictched sound, Does this program tell what frequency that is or what? Or the pager Frequencies?
When I try to open or save/open I get invalid or corrupted file..

Last edited:

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
a lot of people say that Adobe has a audio software that is better and more accurate than comtekk and other software

And that software that your looking for, was is counter.zip?

stevelton

They way I was doing it before was recording the 6pm pager test as a .wav file. Then I would open the .wav file with another program and cut the 2 tones apart, and make them into their own .wav files. then I would open each of these indiviual tones and use the frequency counter to see about what the audio frequency was on each tone.

Now I just need to find another frequency counter program that will run on my laptop.

Steven

stevelton

Im not sure what the name of the software that I had before, thats why Im having a hard time. I tried to download and run the one file that the other poster had posted, but it didnt work.
So if anyone else has a program or free trial that I can use.

Steven

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Please add these links to the Fire Tone Out article on the wiki. Questions about apps like these for decoding FTOs will, no doubt, come up again 73 Mike

N9JIG

Sheriff
Adobe Audition is great for decoding FTO's. I downloaded the 30 day evaluation version and liked it so much I bought the full version. I was able to get the Student Edition for $130.00, those Continuing Ed classes had an unexpected benefit!

Basically I record the FTO's using the most excellent Scanner Recorder program (free, http://www.davee.com/scanrec/). I park the scanner on the fire frequency of interest and then allow it to record several sets of tones.

The file for a busy channel for a couple days is generally about 20 or 30 MB, depending on the amount of traffic and the quality settings, I tend to use "Radio Quality".

I then open the resultant .wav file in Audition. In the Waveform View window you will quickly learn how to "see" tone out sets by comparing the waveforms. In the Frequency Analysis window the actual tone freqs are shown.

Once set up it takes only a few minutes to analyze FTO's from a day or two's recordings . If you pay attention to the waveforms you can even discriminate different transmitters as they often have visible artifacts on the transmitters, such as unique squelch tales.

When I first got into FTO's after the 396 came out I decoded hundreds of sets of tone-outs in a period of weeks on a dozen different freqs in my area. I found that the BC780/785/796 scanners record jack is a great source of the audio but that the speaker jack works even better. I set the volume of the scanner to fill the wave form window in Scanner Recorder to an optimum level so that the wave of tones are just slightly less than filling the window and then use the computers speakers to listen to the audio. When I leave or go to bed for the night I just turn off the speaker or turn the computer volume down and leave the computer and scanner on to record audio overnight or while I am away from home.

I once had this set up on my local fire channel and went on a week's vacation and when I came home the computer had a 3 GB wav file. It took me less than an hour to go thru the entire file, cut and paste the various tone sets into separate .wav files and analyze the results. Remember to include the voice message with the tone set so you can identify the use of the tones.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Please add these links to the Fire Tone Out article on the wiki. Questions about apps like these for decoding FTOs will, no doubt, come up again 73 Mike

Me? Was thinking about it, but usually keep info. to myself. :lol:

Why does everyone like scarec??? I love xcorder! :lol: I use it on a USB stick and so all audio goes there from a laptop. Just user preference I guess.. Used scanrec before, but didn't care for the functions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.