Decoding VOA Radiogram

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

simpilo

I remember TIVAR was the goto app for android users to decode VOA Radiogram. I tuned to 7730khz this morning and heard the MFSK32 and Olivia they typically broadcast. I didn't have the app installed. I went to the Google Play Store and searched TIVAR and it wasn't appearing. So I tried on my laptop to see if it was even there and just not appearing for my device(device compatibility feature). It just isn't there at all!

Anyone know where TIVAR went? Any clue as to why? I know two years ago google claimed to have removed 700k questionable apps from the Play Store. Back in 2016 I was decoding fine with TIVAR. It worked well and never brought any doubt to my mind.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yup- in fact there are a few such programs out there besides fldigi and HRD - notably MultiPSK, which will also handle these modes. Of course the multi kilobuck ones like Hoka and Wavecom will do them, but it's total overkill for a project like this. Our software page in the Digital Decoding FAQ has a list of the non-ham related software, and the amateur radio digital article has some of the ham related ones.

However keep in mind that the purpose of this project is to test the ability to do the decoding under the simplest of conditions - and to overcome the huge bugaboo of jamming in countries where HF listening is heavily restricted, if not outright illegal. Portable radios and very simple PCs or phones are the rule here. My buddy Dr Kim Andrew Elliott (who is himself a ham) started with this project...Mike

S

simpilo

I will try to be up at 3am CDT my time (0800UTC) to decode Shortwave Radiogram on WRMI 7780khz. I keep forgetting it is not called "VOA" Radiogram anymore. OOPS!

Status
Not open for further replies.