Defund Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
I'll jump in the fray with 2 pennies...I'd say it's all (or becoming all) about oversight, and trust.

With the bulk of media swinging more towards the capitalistic route of sensational vs investigative journalism, the historical "oversight" of our public agencies are disappearing. It is falling more and more into the common citizen/witness with cellphone cameras and/or scanner/live stream app. Nearly every community in the US now has a facebook group related to the crime/happenings/gossip of their community. So many citizens with scanners now that aren't "hobbyists" like us here. Heck, it's why The Database is so restrictive since it appeases the manufactures who want "zipcode scanning." Those facebook groups have some impressive day-to-day intel on what's happening in their community, driven by people listening to their zipcode-scanners, and people out in the community wondering why a siren is sounding, or seeing action and taking a pic of it. That's organic oversight. They don't realize it's oversight, but when they hear cops responding to a routine call, but the outcome a few minutes later is 5 people shot, the entire community starts to get inquisitive and demands more. They "know" the initial dispatch response level for that call normally shouldn't escalate into 5 shot. If nobody heard the initial call, the agency has a lot of leeway in building up a narrative that leads to the 5 shot. Nobody can question the narrative without FOIA (a lot of time and energy spent there), they have to trust the dept. That's asking a lot.

And now you have trust. It was hard to defend the idea of cops/agencies lying since we'd like to believe they are above reproach and trusting by their very nature and position. Think about how much our judicial system is built on that trust. A lot of court cases are made weighted primarily on an officer's statement. But just in the last 2 weeks we are seeing repeated instances where the agency's official statement of what occurred, doesn't match a video that suddenly became available. Now we have to ask how many times have they lied in the past? How many potential court cases does that involve? Trust is earned, and agencies need to work triple time in their public perception to regain trust, regardless if they have anything at fault.

Listened to San Francisco PD during recent protests, and their radio traffic was above par. Discussions on the radio regarding curfew, observed escalated violence, officers recognizing radio traffic provides them recorded official timestamps, "dispatch, note second notification of curfew time and warnings given over vehicle PA and bullhorn" "Dispatch copies, such and such given at time 2236 hours". I even heard right before they cut the protestors off to arrest them, a reminder for every officer to activate their body cams. All that, is oversight. If a protestor complains the arrest was illegal or heavy-handed, or a journalist reports differently, there were 5000 of us listening to SFPD stream that night that could have come out of the woodwork in defense of SFPD actually. If SFPD was left to themselves to defend that, they'd lose the public perception/trust at the speed of a tweet or social media post. Sure, in time radio traffic could be released etc but that's way too late, you lost the narrative.

I've addressed the problem with encryption in rural agencies here and further down that thread here. And that's just addressing officer safety/mutual aid, not hobbyists/oversight/media.

Good civil discussion and brain fodder happening - thanks!

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I'll jump in the fray with 2 pennies...I'd say it's all (or becoming all) about oversight, and trust.

With the bulk of media swinging more towards the capitalistic route of sensational vs investigative journalism, the historical "oversight" of our public agencies are disappearing. It is falling more and more into the common citizen/witness with cellphone cameras and/or scanner/live stream app. Nearly every community in the US now has a facebook group related to the crime/happenings/gossip of their community. So many citizens with scanners now that aren't "hobbyists" like us here. Heck, it's why The Database is so restrictive since it appeases the manufactures who want "zipcode scanning." Those facebook groups have some impressive day-to-day intel on what's happening in their community, driven by people listening to their zipcode-scanners, and people out in the community wondering why a siren is sounding, or seeing action and taking a pic of it. That's organic oversight. They don't realize it's oversight, but when they hear cops responding to a routine call, but the outcome a few minutes later is 5 people shot, the entire community starts to get inquisitive and demands more. They "know" the initial dispatch response level for that call normally shouldn't escalate into 5 shot. If nobody heard the initial call, the agency has a lot of leeway in building up a narrative that leads to the 5 shot. Nobody can question the narrative without FOIA (a lot of time and energy spent there), they have to trust the dept. That's asking a lot.

And now you have trust. It was hard to defend the idea of cops/agencies lying since we'd like to believe they are above reproach and trusting by their very nature and position. Think about how much our judicial system is built on that trust. A lot of court cases are made weighted primarily on an officer's statement. But just in the last 2 weeks we are seeing repeated instances where the agency's official statement of what occurred, doesn't match a video that suddenly became available. Now we have to ask how many times have they lied in the past? How many potential court cases does that involve? Trust is earned, and agencies need to work triple time in their public perception to regain trust, regardless if they have anything at fault.

Listened to San Francisco PD during recent protests, and their radio traffic was above par. Discussions on the radio regarding curfew, observed escalated violence, officers recognizing radio traffic provides them recorded official timestamps, "dispatch, note second notification of curfew time and warnings given over vehicle PA and bullhorn" "Dispatch copies, such and such given at time 2236 hours". I even heard right before they cut the protestors off to arrest them, a reminder for every officer to activate their body cams. All that, is oversight. If a protestor complains the arrest was illegal or heavy-handed, or a journalist reports differently, there were 5000 of us listening to SFPD stream that night that could have come out of the woodwork in defense of SFPD actually. If SFPD was left to themselves to defend that, they'd lose the public perception/trust at the speed of a tweet or social media post. Sure, in time radio traffic could be released etc but that's way too late, you lost the narrative.

I've addressed the problem with encryption in rural agencies here and further down that thread here. And that's just addressing officer safety/mutual aid, not hobbyists/oversight/media.

This is all spot on. It is absolutely 100% about accountability and oversight, because unfortunately, the police don't hold themselves accountable anymore. We the people run the government. We the people run the police departments. We hire these people to protect and serve our communities. Unfortunately, that concept has been lost long ago. I'm absolutely pro law enforcement, and there are plenty of good cops left, who want to do the right thing, and who take the job for the right reasons. But unfortunately, the good cops refuse to address the bad cops. They know who the bad cops are, but won't do a thing about it.

I think with the latest call to defund police departments, we are also going to see a call to eliminate encryption. I really do. The police departments seem to think they are their own entities and can do whatever they want. I hear on these forums ALL THE TIME that encryption is never going to go away because the police departments don't want it to. Well guess what? It's not their choice. It's your choice. It's my choice. It's the choice of the people. State and local officials can make such changes at the drop of a hat, if they actually represent the people, of course. And when you hear others claiming that we have no say, that's when you know things have gone too far, and it's time to take our power back from these rogue police agencies.

These rogue police agencies don't want oversight; they don't want accountability. Look at the official Broadcastify feeds. Look how open the fire departments are to sharing what they do, with the public. I didn't count, but it's probably a 10:1 ratio between them and the police. Why do you think that is? If you're doing the righ thing, you don't have to worry about it. In my line of work, I'm held accountable for every single word I say on the radio. Not only is it scrutinized by our own people, but everything is in the clear, everything is subject to FOIA. And you know what? I don't care. I know I'm doing the right thing. I know I'm following the rules I am subject to. I have nothing to hide.

radiopro52

While I agree with everything that's been said, I still think you're going to see more encryption, not less of it, mostly on the grounds of officer safety. You could argue that there are little, if any, real cases where the use of a scanner put an officer in danger. However it doesn't matter how many times it's happened in the past. All that matters is if there's any potential to put an officers safety in jeopardy. Officer safety is going to be even more of a concern then it was, and all it takes is one incident, and the goal is for it not to happen at all.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
there were 5000 of us listening to SFPD stream that night that could have come out of the woodwork in defense of SFPD actually.

Good points up to here. I agree with what you are saying, but streaming radio traffic over the internet to random people and then them recounting the event isn't going to hold up under a microscope. Sort of like playing "telephone", each person is going to hear something slightly different.

But, yeah, I think having ears on primary dispatch channels doesn't hurt. Knowing others may be listening is a good reminder for officers to follow the rules they are supposed to be abiding by.

A few months ago I had the opportunity to listen in on another protest. I heard much the same traffic you did, lots of warnings give well after the deadlines, dispatch recording times of warnings. Officers giving second chances after the first couple of warnings. Right down to officers giving protesters the opportunity to stand up and walk away just before the cuffs went on.
And I knew the sergeant that was leading the team doing the arrests. Very calm and cool through the whole thing. Never got upset, treated them all with courtesy. Very professional.

There was some good value listening in on that. That would have been missed if it was encrypted.

However, we should acknowledge that dispatch centers record all their traffic. Those recordings should be available to the courts and via Freedom of Information Act. Of course, not real time, but courts need to hold PD's responsible for providing that radio traffic when it's needed.

And Freedom of Information Act needs to have some more teeth to it. I think it's often ignored, or courts allow it to slide.

Yep, things go so much better when adults act like adults. Glad to see moderation has been applied to this post where appropriate. Some folks can't comprehend the adulting part of life.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yeah well I can't believe I'm wasting my time doing this but, we have some pretty good comments here. Is anyone aware that a Chinese National Doctor who was about to release significant information on the Coronavirus from his research position in the University of Pittsburgh was murdered a month ago?. His murderer, was murdered.

Federal investigators were all over it immediately, local police said it was a lover's quarrel murder suicide (guy was happily married according to many sources). Murder suicide, never another word spoken on public media. The story was never to be seen again and was never investigated by a good investigative reporter. Same scripted version of the story verbatim on every news outlet for 4 hours and that was it. I spent my life as an investigative reporter for a seven-day-a-week daily. Nobody hit the sidewalk and knocked on Doors. Nobody looked into anything in the media. Story is gone.

I won't waste anyone's time here with the other cases exactly like that that have been happening where every single news outlet has the same scripted news release and it doesn't get past one news cycle. Again, I wore out a lot of shoes in my life beating the pavement investigating things that didn't smell right. You know why they don't do it today?

Again I'm retired, I remember very good relationships with high-ranking police officials through my whole career. They used me the same way I used them. It was a highly respectable relationship, believe it or not they were more honest then, as they are now, which is not to be confused with honest and forthcoming to the public.

There's my two cents LOL.

Encryption is the police's friend, maybe it is safer for the cops but it does keep the media, you, out of the loop.

Last edited:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Yeah well I can't believe I'm wasting my time doing this but, we have some pretty good comments here. Is anyone aware that a Chinese National Doctor who was about to release significant information on the Coronavirus from his research position in the University of Pittsburgh was murdered a month ago?. His murderer, was murdered.

Federal investigators were all over it immediately, local police said it was a lover's quarrel murder suicide (guy was happily married according to many sources). Murder suicide, never another word spoken on public media. The story was never to be seen again and was never investigated by a good investigative reporter. Same scripted version of the story verbatim on every news outlet for 4 hours and that was it. I spent my life as an investigative reporter for a seven-day-a-week daily. Nobody hit the sidewalk and knocked on Doors. Nobody looked into anything in the media. Story is gone.

I won't waste anyone's time here with the other cases exactly like that that have been happening where every single news outlet has the same scripted news release and it doesn't get past one news cycle. Again, I wore out a lot of shoes in my life beating the pavement investigating things that didn't smell right. You know why they don't do it today?

Again I'm retired, I remember very good relationships with high-ranking police officials through my whole career. They used me the same way I used them. It was a highly respectable relationship, believe it or not they were more honest then, as they are now, which is not to be confused with honest and forthcoming to the public.

There's my two cents LOL.

Encryption is the police's friend, maybe it is safer for the cops but it does keep the media, you, out of the loop.
And this is related to defunding encryption how????

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
And this is related to defunding encryption how????
If you read the whole post I don't know what to say, always respected your comments and opinion but don't have an answer for you other than what's obvious.

RayAir

Instead of defunding encryption I propose 100% blanket encryption across the board nationwide. However, agencies *must* use AES with a KID of 0001 and a key of:
0101 0101 0101 0101
0202 0202 0202 0202
0303 0303 0303 0303
0404 0404 0404 0405

Unless it's for SWAT or NARC, then they can use their own variables, ya know.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Just to follow up with that, the name of the thread is the defunding of encryption.

Anyone should know that it's the radios bought in mass and laying out the system that cost the money.

With today's radios, encryption costs NOTHING.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
But unfortunately, the good cops refuse to address the bad cops. They know who the bad cops are, but won't do a thing about it.

Yep, growing up around police officers exposed me to some of that. They were all "good", however talking amongst themselves lead to me overhearing some stuff that made me realize there is some serious "good ol' boy" action going on behind the scenes. Officers are going to protect their own, it's their nature. They are taught to look out for each other. Unfortunately it's developed an environment where bad things happen and it gets covered up. Not good.

I think with the latest call to defund police departments, we are also going to see a call to eliminate encryption. I really do. The police departments seem to think they are their own entities and can do whatever they want. I hear on these forums ALL THE TIME that encryption is never going to go away because the police departments don't want it to. Well guess what? It's not their choice. It's your choice. It's my choice. It's the choice of the people.

Maybe. We'll see.
I think there are some things standing in the way:
1. Those that blindly support law enforcement, no matter what goes wrong.
2. Those that will only vote party tickets.
3. Those that just don't care. Won't vote. Won't read the voting guides. Won't do a bit of research.

There is some very valid reasons for encryption, and those have been covered elsewhere. I can agree with most of what you are saying, but encryption will never go away 100%.

These rogue police agencies don't want oversight; they don't want accountability.

Or, they don't want to get sued for absolutely anything and everything. It's like complaining about the high cost of prescription medications in the USA, when they are so much cheaper elsewhere. Go to "elsewhere" and every other commercial on TV isn't from a lawyer wanting to help you sue the drug makers. Everyone wants to make their first million, but they want to do it by suing someone else.

It think there's some value in culling the herd when it comes to attorneys. Sort of like used car sales men, hang one a week to keep the rest of them in check. Yes, I'm kidding, but it's nice to let my mind wander off sometimes….

I don't care. I know I'm doing the right thing. I know I'm following the rules I am subject to. I have nothing to hide.

Yep, I agree. And good for you.
But there's a lot of officers on the radio, and not all of them are squeaky clean. Easier to encrypt all communications than clean house. I'm not sure getting rid of encryption is going to fix that. The shenanigans will just move to other means of communications (FirstNet anyone?).

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Yep, growing up around police officers exposed me to some of that. They were all "good", however talking amongst themselves lead to me overhearing some stuff that made me realize there is some serious "good ol' boy" action going on behind the scenes. Officers are going to protect their own, it's their nature. They are taught to look out for each other. Unfortunately it's developed an environment where bad things happen and it gets covered up. Not good.

As a cop for over 3 decades, I've got to agree with almost everything you said. You make it sound like it's a 100% thing, though. While even one incident is too many, it does't always happen the way you described. From personal experience, I've seen that many agencies may not announce an incident but they won't deny it when questioned. Others give it to the media immediately to prove that they try to be on the up and up. But, yes, there are too many those who want to sweep it under the carpet or downplay it as insignificant.

Trentbob, I re-read it and I apologize,

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
As a cop for over 3 decades, I've got to agree with almost everything you said. You make it sound like it's a 100% thing, though. While even one incident is too many, it does't always happen the way you described. From personal experience, I've seen that many agencies may not announce an incident but they won't deny it when questioned. Others give it to the media immediately to prove that they try to be on the up and up. But, yes, there are too many those who want to sweep it under the carpet or downplay it as insignificant.

You are correct. I do try to avoid absolutes when talking on such subjects.

There are good, no, great cops out there, don't get me wrong. There are also some mediocre ones, and some terrible ones. As well as everything in between.

And some agencies are better than others.

DevilJames

Hello everyone. What an intelligent discussion, it's almost hard to believe. This is my first time ever commenting here so I'll keep it short and too the point.

The reason I'm here, and the main point I want make, is to bring attention to an excellent and dedicated blogger here in Fremont. I don't know who he(or she) is , but the blog is called Fremont Streets and is, for the most part, a reporting of what was heard over the air. This might not qualify for any awards in investigative journalism but it far surpasses ANYTHING that the T.V. or print media provides the public in regards to accurately reporting events and the relevant FACTS.
Due to its longevity, Fremont Streets is quietly becoming, in my opinion, one of the most important historical documents that future researchers will have concerning crime in Fremont, Ca. Lately I've been envisioning scanner traffic and those reporting on it, as the best potential option and a foundation for a new era of local investigative journalism. Otherwise, it is hard to imagine local journalism surviving in any meaningful way.

I don't own a scanner, and like someone said of the president, probably wouldn't know how to turn one on if it was in front of me.
But I do like the fact that I can listen to my city's (Fremont) police dispatch on the web. It's been a bit of a revelation, because I never had any idea how lacking our local news coverage was.
It's disheartening to me, someone who loathes misinformed ignorance and who strives to be an informed citizen, to hear that the police might choose to take away our ability to know what they are doing. Someone suggested above that the police have better and more accurate channels to get information out to the public than a person with a scanner might provide. I have to strongly disagree. While I take no issue with the Fremont Police Department, if one was to rely solely on the departments website for information on police activity, I'd tell that person they would be better informed if they stood on the roof of their house with a pair of binoculars.

Tony Irvington

“Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.”
“The life of a nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous.”

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber

Trentbob, I re-read it and I apologize,
Mr.Bean-Thumbs-Up.gif

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I don't think there has been any mention of police unions in this thread, but I have seen them mentioned in other venues recently where police use of excessive force is being discussed.

It's the unions' job to protect the police officers. The unions spend their members' dues to support political candidates who are friendly towards police issues. Maybe some of those candidates are in a position to determine the funding levels for communications systems and military-style gear. Am I connecting the dots correctly?

Are the unions going to continue to protect the "bad cops" along with the "good cops"? Are the unions going to continue to protect their members in a time when some politicians are talking about defunding or even disbanding the police? Will the unions continue to lobby the politicians to buy more "stuff" for the police?

I firmly believe that the use of encrypted communications is warranted in some situations. But, I also firmly believe that the taxpayers have some rights to know what their employees, the police officers, are doing. Yes, we can go the FOIA route to gain access to unencrypted recordings of radio communications after the fact. That's kinda like going on a fishing expedition. You'll never know whether or not the "big one" got away.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Are the unions going to continue to protect the "bad cops" along with the "good cops"? Are the unions going to continue to protect their members in a time when some politicians are talking about defunding or even disbanding the police? Will the unions continue to lobby the politicians to buy more "stuff" for the police?

Ohh, there's a good subject. Not really wanting to touch that with the proverbial 10 foot pole on this forum. My feelings on unions would probably confuse the hell out of people that think they know which side of the isle I'm on.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Well, today I was in a position to talk to three older patrolman in my Township. I'm older than them but they all know me from when they were rookies.

In my opinion these are good guys. I can tell who the guys are who are not good. Everybody knows who they are. For the most part their bad record has been protected by... The Union.

This is a horse of a different color and off topic but brought up by a mod so let's go... These guys try to do a good job and are cognitive of what's right and wrong and being close to retirement they don't want to screw things up and get fired.

So what do you do when you are involved in a multi response call that includes the Bad Apple?

jets1961

mmc,

Encryption could be enabling bad cops through non-accountability , cops might think fist before shooting a person if they know media will roll up right away.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So what do you do when you are involved in a multi response call that includes the Bad Apple?

Yeah that's a tough one. Vesting in retirement and knowing you can lose it all is a good motive to look the other way. Whistle blower protection laws can help, but those don't always work as intended.

Ideally proper supervision, training and oversight should prevent the bad apples from getting too far. That starts at the top of the agency and needs to permeate downwards through the department. If the chief puts his/her foot down when this stuff happens, the bad apples will never last.

Status
Not open for further replies.