Delaware encryption

hey

I’m just seeing if someone that knew if they were using the DES or AES-256 only two radio systems that Delaware has. Just being noisy

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
OP-25 and DSDPlus show ALGO 9F which is DES-XL This is the only system I know that uses this also, all others I have seen that used DES are DES-OFB (ALGO 81)

hey

Now what system were you talking about are you talking about the department of corrections radio system or the public safety radio system

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Now what system were you talking about are you talking about the department of corrections radio system or the public safety radio system
DSD+ doesn't decode SmartZone, so I imagine he is referring to the DELWIN P25 system.

Reactions: hey

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I noticed that while in Rehoboth Beach yesterday, their police department was not encrypted on their main channel. Same with DRBA Police. Perhaps in the Rehoboth example, they have a *lot* of radios to manage...

Last edited:

de784

Feed Provider
I noticed that while in Rehoboth Beach yesterday, their police department was not encrypted on their main channel. Same with DRBA Police. Perhaps in the Rehoboth example, they have a *lot* of radios to manage...
Yes luckily so far they have not gone encrypted, Bethany Beach is , Dewey was in the clear last week

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Rehoboth has 2 encrypted talk channels.
The tac and data channels have been encrypted for a long time - I really don't care about those as there is some justification for privacy on those channels.

trailhiker73

Premium Subscriber
So from what I can gather, the following agencies still have dispatch in the clear:

Wilmington; Newark; Milford; Rehoboth Beach; DNREC; Capitol Police

I’ve avoided DSP CMD for each county, so I’m curious if those are strapped talk groups or whether any towns that are dispatched by DSP have their units in the clear.

Roach112683

So from what I can gather, the following agencies still have dispatch in the clear:

I’ve avoided DSP CMD for each county, so I’m curious if those are strapped talk groups or whether any towns that are dispatched by DSP have their units in the clear.
Depending on County Capitol is fully encrypted. I know Sussex Dispatch is.

A few of the portables and mobiles are clear but Sussex Dispis definitely encrypted.

Dewey is open too. However recently I heard Dewey on IOP 2 so i don't know what that's about.

Roach112683

Some portables/mobiles, at least in Sussex that do suscom are clear.

trailhiker73

Premium Subscriber
It appears that Milford PD Dispatch (19728) is now encrypted. I noticed it yesterday, but didn't get a chance to sit on that TGID until today.

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
Sorry I was referring to the Smartnet (Public Safety) system. I am not sure about the P25 one.

In addition , OP25 and DSD+ can display the encryption algorithm information from the digital voice channels for Smartnet and P25 Phase I systems. There is no need to trunk track the system to obtain this info.

To reiterate they use DES-XL (Encryption Algo 9F) on the Smartnet system. This is an old algo and probably what they started with. Most if not all other systems that still use DES use the algorithm 81 which is DES-OFB.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Sorry I was referring to the Smartnet (Public Safety) system. I am not sure about the P25 one.

In addition , OP25 and DSD+ can display the encryption algorithm information from the digital voice channels for Smartnet and P25 Phase I systems. There is no need to trunk track the system to obtain this info.

To reiterate they use DES-XL (Encryption Algo 9F) on the Smartnet system. This is an old algo and probably what they started with. Most if not all other systems that still use DES use the algorithm 81 which is DES-OFB.
I didn't know that DSD+ could ID an encryption algorithm type. Nor OP25 for that matter.

de784

Feed Provider
Was monitoring the fire works detail last night in lewes command post was encrypted, fire police had no idea what command post was relaying as they do not have in encryption,, one of the fire cops were relaying information using a cell phone talking to command post. Fire cops were getting upset as they had no idea there was a statement that encryption will be added to there radios by one of fire cops on the radio last night

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Was monitoring the fire works detail last night in lewes command post was encrypted, fire police had no idea what command post was relaying as they do not have in encryption,, one of the fire cops were relaying information using a cell phone talking to command post. Fire cops were getting upset as they had no idea there was a statement that encryption will be added to there radios by one of fire cops on the radio last night
Encryption fun. Having to rely on cell phones to interoperate? How will that work out in a disaster scenario? They are going to need to institute some non-encrypted Event tgs / Tac tgs. Are the fire company's fire police radios privately owned, or issued by the county?