• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

deleting code plug in XTL2500 and APX7/800!

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
We have a XTL2500 UHF and an APX7/800 that were used for receiving only...they were on the assignment desk at a TV station and we've gone to an online scanning system. I would to sell both radios, but want the codeplugs erased before I do. Is my best bet just to take them to a local shop and get it done? Don't imagine finding the software and learning it is worth the effort as my boss wants these gone. Recommendations appreciated.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Take them to a shop.

XTL software is easy(ish) to find, programming cable will cost you some money.
Not sure about APX software, we skipped those. Cable is not free, though.

If they were issued by an agency, take them to the agency, they should be more than happy to wipe them.
If they are yours/your employer, contact the radio shop that the local agency uses and ask them nicely. They should like to make sure used radios loaded with their information doesn't end up in the wrong hands, and may wipe the radios for free. I know I certainly would.
Or, try a shop. Probably easier/cheaper than procuring software and cables. Plus the learning curve is a stone cold b***h if you havne't done it before.
You can just 'erase' the radios. You have to take the old codeplug, create a new rx only conventional personality, load that in and remove everything else.

If the radios are on a trunking system, your only option is to take them to the system admin, since it'll take a system key to modify the trunking part.

And good on you for doing the right thing. This sort of thing is a big PITA for me. People take old radios at work and just toss them in the e-waste bin with all the encryption/programming in them, not giving a single thought about it.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
THANKS....I've already returned one XTL to the agency that issued it to us. The other two the station purchased. I'll find a local shop and ask nicely and bring along T-shirts/caps/mugs, etc. Never hurts.