Scanner Tales: The BC780XLT

KD2BNC

Premium Subscriber
I have had my 780 for at least 20 years now, maybe longer..::I can’t remember. Still running 24/7 and is primarily used for air band, air medical, surrounding county dispatch channels and the forest fire service. Other than the knob that disappeared long ago, which I understand is the case with many of these, it’s been a solid unit.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Premium Subscriber
Same. I remember my first personal 780, a great radio in its day. Sat on my night stand going non-stop. Still a great radio and I'll echo what others have said...air band.

We also had one in dispatch to monitor neighboring departments on EDACS as well, because our Chief was too cheap to put additional resources in the console and pay the monthly subscriber fees. Actually worked out even better in the end.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
The 780's knobs would crack in half as they aged, I had at least two do that over the years. While it was not uncommon for this to happen on other gear it seemed to be a more common issue with the 780.

That happened to mine in a short period of time. When I called Uniden for a replacement I was treated very rudely. The problem was I wanted to ship it to the ranger station I worked out of. The person refused to ship it to the ranger station and accused me of using the scanner for "commercial applications." I said no, there is a problem with home addresses in my town. He took on a very threatening demeanor and demanded my home address. We didn't have physical addresses in town back then. I told him we had to use the ranger station as everyone knew where it was. He shouted at me and demanded my home physical address and I again told him they don't exist in every small town in rural areas. He then hung up on me after calling me an idiot.

I called again in a couple of days and gave a new person my physical address, which was unit #1 rear unit of XXX Condos on XXXX XXXX Road. The package was delivered to a McDonalds located 0.4 miles north of me, whose address was on the same road my driveway accesses. Someone there, by some coincidence knew of me (I was periodically interviewed by the local papers due to my job) and called the ranger station that they had a package for me.

At that point, with the lousy tone search and this poor customer service I gave up on Uniden for nearly 20 years. I bought the 325P2 a couple of years ago. Hard to use with some features that are just plain confusing, at least to a guy in his 70's. However, the biggest problem is they wanted to save an inch or so in the height of the radio so it just has two AA battery cell in capacity. Poor thinking as the radio eats the batteries in about 3 1/2 to 4 hours. I have to carry about 4 batteries in my pockets or packs when I'm hiking. Sometimes those are not enough. They made size a bigger priority rather than keeping the practicality of the radio in mind.

I hear of many people who like Uniden and I'm glad to hear it. I just can't join them in that opinion.

rf_patriot200

The 780's knobs would crack in half as they aged, I had at least two do that over the years. While it was not uncommon for this to happen on other gear it seemed to be a more common issue with the 780.
I know of one person, that somehow managed to drop their 780 on it's front panel, breaking the volume knob. But it;s still a mystery how so many of these end up with damaged knobs ... inferior plastic maybe, carelessness, cold/warm temps ? Who knows. Mine are Still original, thankfully and get cleaned periodically with a Q tip !

KD9KSO

I have had my 780 for at least 20 years now, maybe longer..::I can’t remember. Still running 24/7 and is primarily used for air band, air medical, surrounding county dispatch channels and the forest fire service. Other than the knob that disappeared long ago, which I understand is the case with many of these, it’s been a solid unit.

Mouser sells a variety of communication type knobs. I'm sure they would have something to fit. I hated the short stubby knobs on my first AR8200 back in 2000 and ordered some taller replacements. Looked great and worked great.

Ubbe

My VFO knob split in half but that uses a standard size half moon shaft and a volume knob from a Motorola GP340 radio have a perfect fit and a much nicer feel from its rubber material. The 780 volume knob looks to be a unique design and needs a custom 3D printed replacement.

1721726499296.jpeg

/Ubbe.

I still use my two 780s. I have one in my kitchen that's on all the time with all the local towns on. I'm lucky that a few towns around me have a patch channel that repeats the digital system transmissions. My second one I have on my desk along with my SDS100, SDS200, HP1 and BC436. The 780 is only for the analog but it frees up the 100 and 200 to focus on the P25 systems. The one thing I miss most was getting the Scanner master pocket guide and the newest police call edition and planning out how I was gonna setup the banks. Still have my note pad from the last time I ever programed my 780 fully.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I think the knobs are made of some sort of plastic that your oils from your hands degrades after a while. My hands, which seem fine on everything else I've ever owned, destroyed the "tire tread" that went around the main tuning knob on my Yaesu FRG8800 in about 6 months. Yaesu gave me a free knob, but yanking off the old one was a tremdously big deal. The service tech told me the knob just pulls off, but after the front panel started to flex, I ended up dremeling it in half with a cutter wheel. And I destroyed the rubber on the new one within a year or so. I had a video card in my PC years ago with defective fan blades that fell off as time went by. Eventually, the card overheated and there were only about 2 blades on each fan hub. They knew about it and sent me a new, better card under warranty. The fans glowed under UV light, but apparently UV light rotted them out.

rf_patriot200

I think the knobs are made of some sort of plastic that your oils from your hands degrades after a while. My hands, which seem fine on everything else I've ever owned, destroyed the "tire tread" that went around the main tuning knob on my Yaesu FRG8800 in about 6 months. Yaesu gave me a free knob, but yanking off the old one was a tremdously big deal. The service tech told me the knob just pulls off, but after the front panel started to flex, I ended up dremeling it in half with a cutter wheel. And I destroyed the rubber on the new one within a year or so. I had a video card in my PC years ago with defective fan blades that fell off as time went by. Eventually, the card overheated and there were only about 2 blades on each fan hub. They knew about it and sent me a new, better card under warranty. The fans glowed under UV light, but apparently UV light rotted them out.
Radios seem to be Allergic to you ! o_O