Detroit people mover security

313RADIO

DPM is patrolled by Securitas private security. I see them using old Motorola HT1000s. Any ideas what frequency they are on?

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I’m not great in geography, but I’m going to guess you meant to post this in the Michigan forum and not the Maryland forum so I moved it.

Citywide173

Feed Provider
Detroit People Mover is operated by Detroit Transportation Corporation which is licensed for:
Not sure this answers the OPs question. He talked about Securitas and HT1000s. I think those frequencies are the on=the-road DPM frequencies. A quick search shows Securitas to have no licenses in Michigan, so they are probably renting repeater space. Close Call is your friend.

Hooligan

As previously stated, the Detroit People Mover is operated by the Detroit Transportation Corporation, which as a Michigan Public Body - Corporate entity, can and has set-up it's own certified police force, known as the Transit Police.

The two analog FM voice repeater sites are atop Book Tower & Westin Book-Cadillac, which is strange because the structures are quite close to each-other, The freqs are licensed for high HAAT & ERP, meaning it's licensed to be a high-profile/wide-coverage system not only covering DTC's People Mover operations, but also Detroit Dept of Transportation buses, stations/stops, etc. It's strange that the 900MHz mobile (/portable) radios are authorized for 100 watts output. ULS License - Business, 896-901/935-940 MHz, Conventional License - WPXE752 - Detroit Transportation Corporation

I'm over 1750 miles away from Detroit, but I determined the above via just a few minutes on Google...

When I lived right next-door to Joe Louis Arena in downtown Detroit from 1997-2002, I rode the DPM about 40-60 times a month (I had a monthly pass), for work & pleasure, and listened to their Security & Maintenance talk-groups on the old City of Detroit analog 800MHz Trunked system that also had DPD SWAT, Narc's, Mayor's Security, HQ Surveillance Team, etc. & some other secret squirrels in-addition to boring Water & Sewerage Dept Ops & Security, et al. On a daily basis, Transit Police would mostly respond to homeless-types loitering at the stations, and fare-evaders detected by CCTV cameras monitored by their control center, but during major events like the Detroit Auto Show at Cobo Hall, Red Wings games & concerts at Joe Louis Arena, Freedom Festival, etc. they'd have personnel at the DPM stations closest to the major events managing the crowds. DPM train PTC/SCADA was on 900MHz ISM, DSSS but may have moved to something else by now. I expect the real entertainment would be monitoring the Transit Officers assigned to the buses. I once had a friend who was a D-DOT bus driver in the 1980s & 1990s (until he medically retired due to being shot -- Duane, are you out there?) who told me some insane stories about some of the crimes & depravity that'd occur on those buses. And before Transit Police existed, Detroit PD Tactical Services Section would have 'Bluebird' details of plainclothes or U/C officers riding the bus and in the event of a crime aboard, they'd radio on good old 453.875 (old DPD TSS repeater) to the TSS vehicle behind them that they had a situation, and the bus would pull-over so the Bluebird detail uniformed officers could board the bus & take-down the criminal.

Citywide173

Feed Provider
As previously stated, the Detroit People Mover is operated by the Detroit Transportation Corporation, which as a Michigan Public Body - Corporate entity, can and has set-up it's own certified police force, known as the Transit Police.

The two analog FM voice repeater sites are atop Book Tower & Westin Book-Cadillac, which is strange because the structures are quite close to each-other, The freqs are licensed for high HAAT & ERP, meaning it's licensed to be a high-profile/wide-coverage system not only covering DTC's People Mover operations, but also Detroit Dept of Transportation buses, stations/stops, etc. It's strange that the 900MHz mobile (/portable) radios are authorized for 100 watts output. ULS License - Business, 896-901/935-940 MHz, Conventional License - WPXE752 - Detroit Transportation Corporation

I'm over 1750 miles away from Detroit, but I determined the above via just a few minutes on Google...

When I lived right next-door to Joe Louis Arena in downtown Detroit from 1997-2002, I rode the DPM about 40-60 times a month (I had a monthly pass), for work & pleasure, and listened to their Security & Maintenance talk-groups on the old City of Detroit analog 800MHz Trunked system that also had DPD SWAT, Narc's, Mayor's Security, HQ Surveillance Team, etc. & some other secret squirrels in-addition to boring Water & Sewerage Dept Ops & Security, et al. On a daily basis, Transit Police would mostly respond to homeless-types loitering at the stations, and fare-evaders detected by CCTV cameras monitored by their control center, but during major events like the Detroit Auto Show at Cobo Hall, Red Wings games & concerts at Joe Louis Arena, Freedom Festival, etc. they'd have personnel at the DPM stations closest to the major events managing the crowds. DPM train PTC/SCADA was on 900MHz ISM, DSSS but may have moved to something else by now. I expect the real entertainment would be monitoring the Transit Officers assigned to the buses. I once had a friend who was a D-DOT bus driver in the 1980s & 1990s (until he medically retired due to being shot -- Duane, are you out there?) who told me some insane stories about some of the crimes & depravity that'd occur on those buses. And before Transit Police existed, Detroit PD Tactical Services Section would have 'Bluebird' details of plainclothes or U/C officers riding the bus and in the event of a crime aboard, they'd radio on good old 453.875 (old DPD TSS repeater) to the TSS vehicle behind them that they had a situation, and the bus would pull-over so the Bluebird detail uniformed officers could board the bus & take-down the criminal.
Great info, but the OP specically identified the radios as being carried by Secritas officers, not Transit PD

Hooligan

Great info, but the OP specically identified the radios as being carried by Secritas officers, not Transit PD
I, and however many others here with decent reading comprehension and IQs of at-least 90 are aware of that. Also glaringly-aware that twice now in the short existence of this brief thread, you've felt the compulsion to barge-in & state that.

Citywide173

Feed Provider
I, and however many others here with decent reading comprehension and IQs of at-least 90 are aware of that. Also glaringly-aware that twice now in the short existence of this brief thread, you've felt the compulsion to barge-in & state that.
That would be because the OP is looking for the frequencies of the radios that are being carried by the Securitas officers. Not the Detroit People Mover, the Detroit Transit Corporation or the Transit Police. All of the frequency information that has been provided does nothing to answer the OPs question. While all of the information provided here is of value to someone, it only obfuscates what the OP is trying to determine.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
The question would be if the hired security provide their own radios, use radios supplied by the local government, or leased. Since no licenses have been found, the first option is probably out. (As I doubt they would use MURS.)

Any idea what type of antenna was on the radio? There is/was a 800/900 MHz radio that looks like the HT-1000.

313RADIO

Long story short all DPM operations (with the exception of transit police) are on the 900mhz analog frequencies listed above, including the privately contracted security company. They security personnel are dispatched and report directly to DPM command. The system sounds good and plays well. Wonder how long they will keep it around.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Long story short all DPM operations (with the exception of transit police) are on the 900mhz analog frequencies listed above, including the privately contracted security company. They security personnel are dispatched and report directly to DPM command. The system sounds good and plays well. Wonder how long they will keep it around.
I suspected that may be the case since I could not locate any local licensed frequencies for Securitas.