DIA Fire Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstockmyer

Does anyone here know the fire codes DIA uses? They had a Amber come in tonight, I think one of the big fans on the wings was not working. I just wondered what other codes they have and what they might mean.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
cstockmyer said:
Does anyone here know the fire codes DIA uses? They had a Amber come in tonight, I think one of the big fans on the wings was not working. I just wondered what other codes they have and what they might mean.

It's the level of crash response they are sending based on the incident, such as yellow we might have a problem ARFF units proceed and standby for further, and red for example confirmed crash where you get not only ARFF rigs but also DFD units from Montbello and DG activates a bunch of there MCI plans rolling.

Remember just like with other fire depts about 85% of the calls DFD at DIA run on and you'll hear the radio traffic on these days are EMS..

And don't even start trying to compare amber responses at DIA to an amber at Centennial or Jeffco for example, completely different response and different structure for the depts, I mean Centennial does not even have a dedicated ARFF station with dedicated and staffed ARFF units. But that's a story for another day.

More details in the morning.

Jim<

Last edited:

MikeyB

jimmnn said:
\

And don't even start trying to compare amber responses at DIA to an amber at Centennial or Jeffco for example, completely different response and different structure for the depts, I mean Centennial does not even have a dedicated ARFF station with dedicated and staffed ARFF units. But that's a story for another day.

More details in the morning.

Jim<

Very true. It is difficult to find out anything about airport FDs. Centennial does has a crash rig cross-staffed with Tower 35 I believe it is, while Engine 35 cross-staffs the heavy rescue. Same at Jeffco with Engine 65 cross-staffing a crash rig. Nothing like DIA, as Jim said.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
MikeyB said:
Very true. It is difficult to find out anything about airport FDs. Centennial does has a crash rig cross-staffed with Tower 35 I believe it is, while Engine 35 cross-staffs the heavy rescue. Same at Jeffco with Engine 65 cross-staffing a crash rig. Nothing like DIA, as Jim said.

That's correct 35's is the Centennial ARFF rig but 35's station is not on-site (I realize it's close) at the airport and more importantly it uses the crew from 35's a pair and the medic to staff, so if there out on another call no ARFF and certainly no dedicated ARFF for such a busy airport. Funny have you heard a Centennial call dispatched? They get a ton of street rigs including even Parker Station 74.

Jim<

MikeyB

jimmnn said:
That's correct 35's is the Centennial ARFF rig but 35's station is not on-site (I realize it's close) at the airport and more importantly it uses the crew from 35's a pair and the medic to staff, so if there out on another call no ARFF and certainly no dedicated ARFF for such a busy airport. Funny have you heard a Centennial call dispatched? They get a ton of street rigs including even Parker Station 74.

Jim<

I have heard calls for Centennial. It does seem quite odd, especially since they've had a number of crashes recently. I asked them once about what happens when they're out - can't remember what they said. Do you know if they still have plans to split station #35 into an ARFF station and a street station?

As for Parker, I've always thought they sent them because the southern end of the airport extends into their district a little bit and they have better access to the southern end.

Either way, it doesn't seem adequate for an airport that busy.

cstockmyer

Thanks that makes listening to the DIA stuff a lot easier. I was also going to ask about centennial lol. So I guess the south metro station just north of the airfield is the one your talking about?? I could of swore when they had thoes crashes just south of the field I saw a trunk kind of like the green ones out at DIA except in the South Metro colors on the scene. How many stations does DIA have? I know they have I think it's station #31 that you see as you drive out of the west side parking, but now and then I hear about #29...is that on the field too?

luke-1

The main Southern runway approach to centennial goes right over Parker 74. If they fall short of the runway, which is what they seem to do, 74 is pretty much already "on scene".

Luke

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
cstockmyer said:
Thanks that makes listening to the DIA stuff a lot easier. I was also going to ask about centennial lol. So I guess the south metro station just north of the airfield is the one your talking about?? I could of swore when they had thoes crashes just south of the field I saw a trunk kind of like the green ones out at DIA except in the South Metro colors on the scene. How many stations does DIA have? I know they have I think it's station #31 that you see as you drive out of the west side parking, but now and then I hear about #29...is that on the field too?

No 29's is a Montbello Station.

There are four DIA Stations.

Station 30 - District 7 - 4898 S. Dudley Street, Denver, CO 80123

Station 31 - DIA Station 1 - 8525 Newcastle Street, Denver CO 80249

Station 32 - DIA Station 2 - 8525 Newcastle Street, Denver CO 80249

Station ARFF - DIA Station 3 - 8525 Newcastle Street, Denver CO 80249

Station ARFF - DIA Station 4 - 8525 Newcastle Street, Denver CO 80249

Jim<

cstockmyer

jimmnn said:

Jim<

What does ARFF stand for? So the way I understand it now is if there is a crash only the ARFF stations would respond? Something I just noticed, so 31, 32 and both ARFF stations come out of one building? Is that the building you see on the west side?

MikeyB

jimmnn said:

Jim<

That is correct that there are 4 stations at DIA. Stations 31 & 32 staff structural equipment. DIA station 1,3,4 have crash trucks. DIA station 2 does not have crash trucks.

Stations 2 & 27 are Montbello and 29 is Green Valley Ranch.

The DIA Fire station locations(they have actual street addresses if they mean anything since most atlases don't show streets at the airport. PM me if you want them) are:

#1 - (one you see when you drive in)
#2 - (can see it north of Concourse C, looks like a fire station)
#3 - (east side of the airport, look for it when your plane takes off or lands)
#4 - (can see it north of Concrouse C, looks like a garage, it is west of station #2)

Last edited:

MikeyB

cstockmyer said:

They do have a Red 35, which is a crash truck with SM logos. I can post a picture if anybody is interested. It lives at station #35, and it comes out the backside doors. I also have pictures of the 4 DIA stations and the crash trucks from a tour I had several years back.

cstockmyer

I would like to see the South Metro rig, I've seen most the DIA stuff. I was a fuel er for united then worked at AMR combs, but maybe they have new stuff.

Has anyone ever heard them out there practising?

luke-1

They have a training area here in Parker. South Metro, Cunningham, and DC train here

It's at Plaza and 20 Mile rd.

Luke

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
cstockmyer said:
Is there an radio channel that they advise the trucks to roll? Or is it a phone call?

DIA DFD 1 and if it's an amber or red leader that's often simucast with regular DFD talk group.

Jim<

cstockmyer

jimmnn said:
DIA DFD 1 and if it's an amber or red leader that's often simucast with regular DFD talk group.

Jim<

Ok how about other airports? I know it's been said Centennial is covered by South Metro, but the crashes last year where all in Parker where they not? So would there be a 911 call? Or does the tower of small airports have a direct line?

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
cstockmyer said:
Ok how about other airports? I know it's been said Centennial is covered by South Metro, but the crashes last year where all in Parker where they not? So would there be a 911 call? Or does the tower of small airports have a direct line?

Varies per airport, at Centennial the tower calls ops units on duty on there DTRS id and says inbound plane with problems south metro notified then 35's and the team come up on that same DTRS id and talk directly with ops.

Jim<

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
cstockmyer said:
Is there an radio channel that they advise the trucks to roll? Or is it a phone call?

It's a phone call on the airport crash net. The info is then passed on over the radio for any units not in quarters. DPD, paramedics, and Ops are also notified.

Amber alerts are pretty common. Basically, it can be any malfunction on an aircraft that affects flying... anything from a flap problem to smoke in the cockpit.... that causes the flight crew to ask for emergency equipment to stand by while they land.
Red alerts are usually any situation where the aircraft is damaged upon landing and lives may be at risk: I've seen a Dash-8 run off into the mud and it's called a red. The only full-blown evac I've personally seen was the night UAL had an engine blow while preparing for takeoff. Everyone went out on the slides. It was eerie, seeing over a hundred totally scared people out there in the dark next to the runway. Now THAT was a red.

Status
Not open for further replies.