Diamond RH-77CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haley

Just wondering if anyone has used this Antenna (I see through all the old posts, that it is one of the best HH antennas for RR), with a BC-246T, or Pro-92B. I just ordered one , just hoping for a little more distance. I also DX 160-174MHz (mainly Weather band), how does it do in that range? I can re-post the weather part, in another forum if you guys want to stick to the RR reception question. Thanks for any feedback. Mike

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Not bad. Much better than any antenna that comes with your scanner. I get 50-70 KM's range on weather stations,, here on the 8th floor

JESSERABBIT

Personally, I would recommend it. It's length is about 15.5 inches. I use it in my computer room in the basement, with the Pro-96 when the Pro-97 is connected to the outside antenna. It does well on the local systems. "Your results may vary."

Haley

Thanks for the opinions guys. I have searched all over the internet, and have not seen too many negative ones. Just the usual "not that great on the 800MHz band" stuff. I dont really expect to use it much for that anyway, like I said primarily VHF-High. Mike

mully95

I'm interested in getting different antenna to improve the digital on my BCD396T. All of the conventional stations come in fine.

I have noticed that if I set the scanner in front of a window in my house that the digital gets better. If I go in the back to the computer room reception gets worse. I'm also interested in putting a antenna in the attic and run it to the computer room.

Will the Diamond help the 800 at all?

hoser147

mully95 said:
I'm interested in getting different antenna to improve the digital on my BCD396T. All of the conventional stations come in fine.

I have noticed that if I set the scanner in front of a window in my house that the digital gets better. If I go in the back to the computer room reception gets worse. I'm also interested in putting a antenna in the attic and run it to the computer room.

Go with the RS 800 or the GRe 800 antenna. Hoser

raisindot

mully95 said:

I use both the Diamond and the RS 800MHz antenna with my PSR500. When I'm at work in Boston, they both perform nearly identically on 800Mhz, with the RS able to occasionally bring in Motorola 800 trunking signals from Worcester (40 miles away). At home 15 miles west of the city, I notice absolutely no difference in 800Mhz performance. Both can only bring in the MA state police signals and some of the Worcester talkgroups. Neither brings in any of the Boston/Cambridge 800 talkgroups that I can pick up at work.

The Diamond is far better on the VHF Hi Band than the RS, but the RS performs nearly identically with the Diamond on UHF.

So, personally, I don't think the RS 800MHz offers that much of an improvement in 800MHz over the Diamond, and if I had to sell one, I'd sell the RS.

Suzie

mully95

N1BHH said:
If gain is what you want, then a gain antenna is what you order. I use the SMA24 and the RD98, both of which are the same design as the RH77CA, and work for my needs quite nicely.

Truthfully I don't know what I really need. All I want to do is improve the digital reception.

Maybe it won't get any better but I don't mind trying something different.

Did any of the antennas you mentioned improve digital traffic?

mully95

I just found this will goggleing up some of the antennas mentioned.

" I was using a Diamond RC77a antenna for vhf and 800 mhz scanning but it suffered at 800 mhz. So after reading the reviews here I decided to give RS a chance. I usually dont trust RS products or MFJ for that matter. Was very pleasantly surprised, reception improved greatly on 800 mhz with very little degradation of vhf reception. I would recommend this antenna for anyone looking for a 800mhz antenna, this one works great. "

Maybe I should give the one of the RS a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.