Digital demodulation guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

szangvil

Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2016
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
I am using RTL-SDR with SDR# and I am having trouble finding help in demodulation digital signals. Some questions I need answers to:
When I capture data, how do I know what sampling rate to use?
When I record, do I need to record audio or the baseband? Do I need to record 8 bit or 32?
I found plugins that record the IF - do I need that?
How is the recording file effected when I choose AM, FM, USB, RAW? What do I need to choose for digital demodulation using Matlab? After I get the I and Q signals to Matlab, how do I find the the correct timing? How do I use a correlator and do I need one? If I don't know which modulation is used, can I go by trial and error and try different demodulation schemes? Or is it impossible this way?

I have many more questions...

My goal is to demodulate a FHSS-TDM signal at 433Mhz coming from a Sik1000 based radio (3DR telemetry module).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Joined
May 7, 2004
Messages
4,012
Reaction score
133
Location
RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV
I don't know much about what you're asking, but I'm most certain that to follow FHSS you have to have a fast SDR with an adequate bandwidth I imagine.

You will most likely need baseband.
 

szangvil

Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2016
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
I can configure the Si1000 module to hop between 5 channels. And I can clearly see all of them on my waterfall. I concentrate on a specific channel, record it and want to decode it.

After I figure all that out, I plan recording with 5 RTL units or buy a better SDR.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

AggieCon

Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2015
Messages
1,448
Reaction score
18
Location
Texas
Use SDR console with 5 VCOs if your RTL covers the bandwidth (assuming your computer can handle it).
 

szangvil

Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2016
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
That's the next stage... I still need a guide explaining all the terminology.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top