Digital Mode Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

GROL

Hmmmm, I did not say that anyone paying $60 for the DMR upgrade has been had. I said "IF ALL THINK $60 IS CLOSE TO UNIDEN COST then they have been had." The cost to Uniden of course, not the cost to the end consumer. I was stating that I sencerly doubt the cost to Uniden is close to $60, and that I believe if anyone thinks so, then they have accepted a false premise. For whatever reason some are offended that my opinion is the price is too high. There is no direct competition to these upgrades. If enough people shell out $60 for the DMR upgrade the price will never drop.
[/QUOTE]
I've read your bio in the QRZ.com website - Thank you for your military service. Since you've been involved with military comms most of your tenure, I wonder if you feel the same way with what the Gvt has to pay for our military equipment. I think what these companies charge for their equipment is outrageous let alone what the Gvt has paid for toilet seats. I have bought at ham flea markets surplus HF thru UHF satcom antennas for pennies on the dollar - I can't justify the cost to our Gvt of what these companies charge for this equipment - although that is what Capitalism is all about - making profit for their products. I listen to the Barta busses here in Berks Co PA who use a DMR system; I would have gladly paid a $100 for the DMR upgrade considering the amount of time and fuel I saved by listening to their system for road closures and traffic tie-ups for when I travel. And their are many DMR systems to listen to here in my area.
[/QUOTE]
Thank you. I appreciate your interest. That is an interesting solution to your commutes. You use your scanner radio as a tool and not just a hobby. I definitely agree we have way overpaid for military equipment, some of the things I have seen are crazy, but that opens up a whole big political discussion that would be quite a stir. In those cases it was a congress and a sitting president that agreed to them. That isn't capitalism so much as stupidity. I really don't wish to go farther than that here, but I do have a strong opinion about it. If I had to have DMR here to monitor something so important to me as you, I would probably do the same, but fortunately DMR is not the primary digital mode for almost everything most want to monitor, especially public safety.

Last edited:

bob550

Premium Subscriber
This is the funniest thread I've followed here in years! I'd imagine you guys walking into a Walmart and asking to see the store financials to justify the price of a $5 bottle of shampoo.

Status
Not open for further replies.