Digital on BCD436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioKid604

Hey all, I have a uniden bcd436hp,along with a VHF Morotola XPR4550. I programmed my vhf with analog channels and one digital simplex channel, both on the same frequency. The uniden can pick up the analog fine when I manually enter the frequency, but doesn't receive the digital transmissions I am making. I know it can hear digital because I hear my local Emergency Services and other things on it (PRO-VOICE, DMR, etc...) I have bought a DMR key and it works fine with other systems but it can't pick anything from me transmitting on my Motorola. It shows the signal bars at full, and occasionally I can hear a snippet of audio and the colour code will flash on the screen. Any ideas? Thanks!

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Hey all, I have a uniden bcd436hp,along with a VHF Morotola XPR4550. I programmed my vhf with analog channels and one digital simplex channel, both on the same frequency. The uniden can pick up the analog fine when I manually enter the frequency, but doesn't receive the digital transmissions I am making. I know it can hear digital because I hear my local Emergency Services and other things on it (PRO-VOICE, DMR, etc...) I have bought a DMR key and it works fine with other systems but it can't pick anything from me transmitting on my Motorola. It shows the signal bars at full, and occasionally I can hear a snippet of audio and the colour code will flash on the screen. Any ideas? Thanks!

If Color Code flashes do you see slot number? It's possible it sends out Data but no voice.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Are you trying to transmit on your portable and receive that transmission on the scanner with the scanner being fairly close to the portable?

I won't get into that being a bad idea as it could damage the scanner.

Assuming there is at least some distance between the two, I wonder if because of digitizing the audio in the portable and then it arriving at the scanner a "tad" later, you might be having a bit error rate issue. The scanner is "baffled" and can't properly decode that into intelligible audio.

I would probably turn the record function on in the scanner, then put some distance (a room or two) between the portable and scanner. Then do a test count followed by going back to the scanner and listening to the recording.

Also this is presuming you've confirmed correct entry of all the channel data, such as frequency and NAC.

RadioKid604

I have been next to it while transmitting. Dont think there was a slot number. I have also left the scanner in the house while being outside testing. When I played it back the same thing happens-no audio just the colour code flashing occasionally

Ubbe

There is problem with simplex DMR reception but now there is a beta test firmware that seems to solve that problem.

/Ubbe

RadioKid604

How can I upgrade my radio to that beta version? Senteniel says I have the latest version. Is it possible that my Motorola is transmitting data instead of voice?

RadioKid604

Tried the update, didn't do much. Is it possible my Motorola is transmitting in data rather than voice? Anyone know a way in cps to change that?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If your transmitting radio and scanner are programmed correctly (as in the scanner having the same frequency as transmitting radio), you should hear "something" on your scanner. If the transmitting radio was doing data, then you'd hear some kind of noise on the scanner.

For the time being, you might try setting the channel on the scanner.to "All" for the audio option. The scanner would listen to anything/everything coming in on the frequency. You should be able to figure out what the transmitting radio is doing for sure that way.

budevans

There have been several posts on the Uniden forums from people who have unsuccessfully tried to do radio tests with their Uniden scanners while in close proximity. The issue is overload, too much signal.

Try putting some distance between your radio and your scanner and if possible use a low power setting on your radio.

One other item. UPMAN mentioned that transmitting close to a scanner might damage the scanner.

RadioKid604

If your transmitting radio and scanner are programmed correctly (as in the scanner having the same frequency as transmitting radio), you should hear "something" on your scanner. If the transmitting radio was doing data, then you'd hear some kind of noise on the scanner.

For the time being, you might try setting the channel on the scanner.to "All" for the audio option. The scanner would listen to anything/everything coming in on the frequency. You should be able to figure out what the transmitting radio is doing for sure that way.

Mind telling me how to set it to "all audio"? I usually just manually enter the frequency and test it there. Nothing worked when I tried programming a dmr single frequency.

Will try moving it further. Digital didn't seem to work at all when I drove through town with the uniden at home. Analog worked great though.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
First things first. You mentioned that you programmed your portable radio as a simplex channel, which I am presuming to be conventional.

With respect to your scanner, DMR can be a type of trunk system. If you selected "DMR One Frequency" as the system type for your scanner, but the portable is a basic one channel simplex frequency (as opposed to some type of DMR trunked system), that may be the reason. (I say this freely admitting I know very little about the ins and outs of DMR stuff.)

So you may try programming your scanner, adding a new system, choosing Conventional as the system type. Then create a channel and when you get to the channel options, Set Audio Type choose "All'. (This presumes you are programming by hand versus with Sentinel).

Probably another question that should have been asked much earlier: "What specific system is this?"

RadioKid604

Thanks for that. I programmed the conmventional and found the audio option, will try using it tomorrow. Earlier this evening, I manually entered the frequency, and drove to the other end of town transmitting every few minutes while the uniden was recording at home. There were 30 audio recordings saved when I got back, and only two of them had intelligible audio. Most of them flashed the colour code and time slot, and there was a noise or two on the others. (Beginning of a sentence, but only two that could be made out). Entering it manually should have worked I though but will try the conventional soon

Status
Not open for further replies.