Digital question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyp7

Hey guys got a quick question. Do they make scanners like the pro96 or other digital scanners for canada or europe that are not blocked like ours here in the US. ? I bought a Icom IC-3 from a guy in canada and it was wide open. And if so would a digital scanner be able to pickup digital cellphones? I know it is illegal. This is just out of curiosity.
thanks

n2mdk

The digital encoding used by cell phones can't be decoded by a scanner, so the answer is no.

SAR923

To my knowlege, Radio Shack does not make unblocked scanners for export. I believe Uniden might. It's a moot point, however, as Jerri said. You'l hear only digital noise and no scanner can decode digital cellphone signals.

firefighter89

Someone needs to make sticky thread on this forum explaining that scanners can't decode cellphones, ProVoice, OpenSky, and all of the other systems that can't be scanned so we don't get these questions everyday. A lot of people don't look at the Wiki so I think it would be helpful to have it posted here.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Someone needs to make sticky thread on this forum explaining that scanners can't decode cellphones, ProVoice, OpenSky, and all of the other systems that can't be scanned so we don't get these questions everyday. A lot of people don't look at the Wiki so I think it would be helpful to have it posted here.
The plain fact is, people don't read the stickies either.

Patch42

I recently returned to the world of scanning after an absence of five or six years, so I may have missed something, but, to my knowledge, the only frequencies that are by law blocked are those used for analog cell phones. There has been virtually no activity with analog cell phones for years. Many of the systems have now been turned off. In other words, you aren't missing anything.

As the others have said, digital cell phone calls can not be decoded by any scanner available to the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.