Digital scanner models and brand

Status
Not open for further replies.

NC4RR

I'm looking a digital scanner for use in nc which has the viper system. Not sure to use a mobile with carry all box and remote head or go hand held. Will probally not be able to use same vehicle. Also what seems the best brand.Any help.?
Railroad

Highpockets

I'm looking a digital scanner for use in nc which has the viper system. Not sure to use a mobile with carry all box and remote head or go hand held. Will probally not be able to use same vehicle. Also what seems the best brand.Any help.?
Railroad

You can look here for the latest models, or look for an older model in the classified section here.

Digital Scanners

As far as the best. it's like coke vs pepsi, you'll have to read up on what each unit offers, and see which one fits your needs.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
You can look here for the latest models, or look for an older model in the classified section here.

Digital Scanners

As far as the best. it's like coke vs pepsi, you'll have to read up on what each unit offers, and see which one fits your needs.

Agree 100%. What may work best for me here in Wake County might not be the best radio for where you are. Or the features I enjoy in my radio, you might not ever use in yours. I will say I prefer a handheld over a base/mobile (even though I own too many of each!). I am on the go constantly between work and home and everywhere else and I love being able to take my handheld anywhere. And here in Wake County VIPER coverage is so good that I only need a rubber duck antenna. My two "duty" radios that go with me everywhere are a Yaesu VX-5R and a Uniden BCD396XT. With the two of those I don't really need anything else.
Hope this helps you out a little.
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

Drafin

I gotta agree with the rest of the people here, ya gotta do your research. Asking everyone which is a better scanner can start an all out flame war... The Uniden people are all about the Uniden's and the GRE/Radio Shack people are all about the their brand.

I will say as a HUGE GENERALITY... let me repeat this... as a HUGE GENERALITY, most people think that in rural areas (or areas free of interference) the GRE is a better choice due to being more sensitive. The sensitivity can be a problem (overloading) in more urban areas or areas that are heavy in radio interference making Uniden the better choice. The features then become the differentiating thing once you decide on the interference/interference free zone.

So I'd suggest reading up on the both manufacturers and then making the informed decision and as always YMMV.

Draf

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
I have the Uniden BCD396XT

It is a great little scanner. The only problem is it is a sopisticated little scanner as far as entering text tags manually.

It is not like the Radio Shack Pro 96 or Pro 97 where you enter a character on the key pad.

David

RMPDCOP

Database Admin
My counties of coverage is Lenoir,pitt,craven, beaufort, martin. Needed for Greenville fire resque, Hp.
Tnx
Railroad

I am in Edgecombe and I have both the 396XT and the 996XT for Digital. I have used Radio Shack, GRE and Uniden for all types of monitoring. Like all the responses it is in all of what you want.
I have the 996XT in my truck with a Maxrad Maxscan antenna and I am able to pickup Pitt County and Greenville when I am out and about.
If you need any help just shoot me an email brown_bg@earthlink.net.

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
I must agree with all of the above about which brand of scanner suits individual needs. Having said that I can tell you that I have the PSR 500 and 600 and like them both. They are easy to program using Win 500 which is a free trial for 30 days to make sure you like it. I live in Lenoir Co. and have extensive program files on the county, city and viper system in the area. These files include Craven, Wayne and Pitt Co. too. So if you should choose the PSR brand I will be happy to help get you started.
Glad to have you with us.

KC4YIN

Status
Not open for further replies.